NSF GRFP 2013-14

guttata

I feel extremely ripped off seeing who was offered full awards. E/E VG/E VG/E. Honorable mention.

In the past there's been mention of the reviewers' z-scores being the deciding factor rather than unnormalized scores. I'm sure it depends a lot on the field as well.

Anyone know what it means when you only get reviewer comments from 2 people? Is that a problem or like some system where you were cut before getting to the third. Because I got:

VG/E, VG/VG and then nothing from the third...

One of my reviewers couldn't decide if I was a guy or a girl:

"Also, she just has one presentation. Finally, the applicant could improve her research statement by

demonstrating his leadership activities."

(I'm a dude)
Edited by tschlich

For those of you wondering about the scores, here is a post I made in a previous thread that summarizes the scoring according to the 2008 Reviewer's Guide (the link to guide itself is no longer working):

VG/G VG/P VG/G

Was going to complain until I saw jesse_victoria ...

Still will complain. Reviewer 2 simply said "Lacking" for broader impacts. Extensive, successful tutoring/teaching/outreach (+ plans for more) is lacking? I'm no Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation here but jeez

It seems like individual scores don't matter. What determines whether you get a score seems to be whether the reviewer recommends you for an award or not. You can get an idea of whether you are recommended from the "Summary Comments" section.

One of my reviewers gave me VG/VG, but in his "Summary Comments" section, he says that I failed to explain exactly how I am unique and interesting given my unusual background, which I guess means that he did not recommend me for an award.

Edited by Merohedral

VG/E VG/E VG/E HM

By all means please rave over my application, tell me I show "impressive academic abilities" - also multiple reviewer write "strongly recommend to funding" and then give me a VG. My field almost doubled in award winners this year- such a slap in the face. I would have rather them given me useful feedback to make it better.

Anyone know how many HMs are bumped up each year? Is there a record of that somewhere? Probably foolish to hold into hope but here I am...

Yes.  Last year there were 64 HMs that got "bumped up" because there are 2,064 awards on the results page.  Statistically, it's unlikely, but it's based on the strength of your application, so maybe your reviews will give you an indication if you have a chance of being one of the lucky ones.

Not recommended. Senior undergrad at Princeton. 3.9 GPA. Hertz finalist.

E/VG E/VG VG/VG

I don't understand how I didn't even get HM lol. Comments were strange and contradictory. One guy said "stellar letters of recommendation" while another said "letters were not strongly supportive." What?

One guy said "lack of publications." I'm a undergrad with a first author journal paper in a high impact factor journal. can you expect more than this from an undergrad?

This last one was so strange "lack of research experience, but excellent outreach." He must've gotten that backwards or he's trolling me or he's just a dumbass.

I got nailed for formatting by all 3, which was legit. Didn't know they cared about that.

Some positive comments:

"Impeccable academic and research record from Princeton."

"Stellar letters from members of the national academies"

"Excellent outreach" lol'ed hard at this. I didn't talk about outreach at all since I didn't have any consistent experience with this. Idk who's ass he pulled this out of

Some other negative comments

"Letters were not strongly supportive" lol this guy...troll?

"Organization lacks in appeal" apologies, I've never been known for fashion.

"Lack of research experience" I don't even fucking....bertstare.jpg

I will not be applying again after reading these comments. I'm more disappointed in that they appeared to not have looked at my app based on the very peculiar and contradictory comments than not receiving the aWard.

Also can I file complaints about reviewers? I honestly don't care about the reward since my offers at schools are bigger than NSFs but I do want to find out how some incompetent guy managed to review my app.

Congrats to everyone else.

Edited by Char123

Anyone know how many HMs are bumped up each year? Is there a record of that somewhere? Probably foolish to hold into hope but here I am...

I think around 50-100. If you check the results from previous years where 2000 awards were awarded, the number of awards is not exactly 2000.  In 2012 for example, the number is 2067, so I'm guessing 67 HM's were bumped up that year. But who knows.