NSF GRFP 2013-14

guttata

No strict requirement on indentation. Past winning essays some have indentations, some dont. 

Between paragraphs you can add an extra 4 pt (to the minimum "single spaced") to make it easier to read.

Source: Director of the Office of Grants and Fellowships at my school.

Is it necessary to add extra space between paragraphs? I know the answer is no, but what I'm really wondering is if it earns you some brownie ptns.

Is it necessary to add extra space between paragraphs? I know the answer is no, but what I'm really wondering is if it earns you some brownie ptns.

I sincerely hope that was sarcasm, otherwise we've taken a flying leap into the realm of Grad Student Neuroticism.

Does anyone know what this type of citation format is called?

K. Katija, J. O. Dabiri, Nature 460, 624-626 (2009)

Saves quite a bit of space. Is it unusual to not include the article name in the citation?

I'm in the engineering field, btw. 

Edited by pyroknife

Does anyone know what this type of citation format is called?

K. Katija, J. O. Dabiri, Nature 460, 624-626 (2009)

Saves quite a bit of space. Is it unusual to not include the article name in the citation?

I'm in the engineering field, btw. 

That looks rather like (i forget which) either science or nature's publication format. It's very dense and very usable. The solicitation sets no guidelines for formatting citations. Check my signature for a post describing what I've come up with as probably one of, if not THE shortest formats possible.

That looks rather like (i forget which) either science or nature's publication format. It's very dense and very usable. The solicitation sets no guidelines for formatting citations. Check my signature for a post describing what I've come up with as probably one of, if not THE shortest formats possible.

I see. Hmm, I'm just a little worried that they might object to not having each reference start on a new line. With your method, do you still use brackets, [#], for in text sections? Edit- I just saw your post and you used superscripts. So my question now is are brackets appropriate with your method of citation?

One of my sentences is "In [1], the authors....." In this case, it be odd to use the superscript. 

I looked at both Nature and Science and it seems they still include the article names, but that may be optional? 

Also, does anyone know if copying someone else's format is considered plagiarizing? I'm copying the format of one of the online essays I saw exactly as I found it to be pretty appealing and space efficient. 

Edited by pyroknife

I see. Hmm, I'm just a little worried that they might object to not having each reference start on a new line. With your method, do you still use brackets, [#], for in text sections? Edit- I just saw your post and you used superscripts. So my question now is are brackets appropriate with your method of citation?

One of my sentences is "In [1], the authors....." In this case, it be odd to use the superscript. 

I looked at both Nature and Science and it seems they still include the article names, but that may be optional? 

Also, does anyone know if copying someone else's format is considered plagiarizing? I'm copying the format of one of the online essays I saw exactly as I found it to be pretty appealing and space efficient. 

Brackets are fine, superscripts take less space. My style is a modification of a typical "short" citation format, which does not require the inclusion of titles. I used this same format last year with no repercussions, with no titles included and all citations in a continuous line. Using this format this year, i have 18 citations (not necessary for most, but how it turned out for mine) fit into 9 lines of 10pt. TNR font.  Citation rules are not as set in stone as you appear to think they are.

Format is not content. You are not plagiarizing.

Edited by guttata

Anyone else apprehensive that their essay is too specific, or perhaps too interdisciplinary? Would you suggest choosing 'Other' in the discipline field, in an effort to more effectively target your intended audience?

I'm also very nervous about that.  Although my proposal clearly fits under a single category, I'm worried that I may get a reviewer that isn't as familiar with the field and not like my proposal. I'm most likely going to choose the field that my degree will be in (since my degree program is definitely not classified as interdisciplinary) and just hope for the best.  

Hi guys. Running a bit late...

Under "other experiences," did you guys include your research experience(s) or is that not necessary since you talked about it in the essays? 

I did not include my research experiences, but did include my teaching assistantship and tutoring jobs.

I'm also very nervous about that.  Although my proposal clearly fits under a single category, I'm worried that I may get a reviewer that isn't as familiar with the field and not like my proposal. I'm most likely going to choose the field that my degree will be in (since my degree program is definitely not classified as interdisciplinary) and just hope for the best.  

It's kind of a crapshoot that way, especially if your review is not familiar with the context. I would hate to have an an organic chemist review a paper on electrochemistry, and v.v. Would it be passe to indicate -- Other, and specify which particular field?

It's kind of a crapshoot that way, especially if your review is not familiar with the context. I would hate to have an an organic chemist review a paper on electrochemistry, and v.v. Would it be passe to indicate -- Other, and specify which particular field?

I should have clarified more.  I'm submitting my proposal in the category under which NSF grants in my field are awarded.   The reality is, you will always have a chance of having a reviewer who is not in your specific subfield. That's the hardest part about this fellowship application, in my opinion.  For example, in chemistry, there are only two review panels for all the different areas.   I'm guessing that the best bet for you is to do the same thing as I did and browse some of the grants your PI or POI has and see how they are classified by NSF.  Even if you do classify it as "Other" it is still going to be assigned to one of the panels they list on the website. I would much rather have control over which panel reads mine than rely on them to assign me to the appropriate panel. 

Does anyone share their research proposals, and perhaps personal statements, with profs writing their rec letters? I'm trying to decide if sharing it with them is a bit much or if it would actually be helpful for them (and also me!). They know me well, and all, and should have plenty to say anyway.

Does anyone share their research proposals, and perhaps personal statements, with profs writing their rec letters? I'm trying to decide if sharing it with them is a bit much or if it would actually be helpful for them (and also me!). They know me well, and all, and should have plenty to say anyway.

I offered them to all my letter writers and sent them to whomever requested it.  I think it helps them know your application and how you'd like to be portrayed.

I should have clarified more.  I'm submitting my proposal in the category under which NSF grants in my field are awarded.   The reality is, you will always have a chance of having a reviewer who is not in your specific subfield. That's the hardest part about this fellowship application, in my opinion.  For example, in chemistry, there are only two review panels for all the different areas.   I'm guessing that the best bet for you is to do the same thing as I did and browse some of the grants your PI or POI has and see how they are classified by NSF.  Even if you do classify it as "Other" it is still going to be assigned to one of the panels they list on the website. I would much rather have control over which panel reads mine than rely on them to assign me to the appropriate panel. 

Where do you find information on panels for the NSF GRF? Also, I found that my proposed PI has not been funded by the NSF, ever, as a PI, despite being a highly prominent researcher, etc. etc. etc.-- does this raise red flags for anyone else?

Also when choosing a PI, would it be detrimental to go with one who's already being funded in a similar but tangential project?

Edited by loginofpscl

I know it isn't required to list study abroad universities - but do you think it would help?

My U only lists the number of study abroad credits and that I passed them. Do you think it would be good to list my study abroad university so I could attach that transcript, which has grades and course names listed? I did mention my study abroad experience in my personal statement. 

Where do you find information on panels for the NSF GRF? Also, I found that my proposed PI has not been funded by the NSF, ever, as a PI, despite being a highly prominent researcher, etc. etc. etc.-- does this raise red flags for anyone else?

Also when choosing a PI, would it be detrimental to go with one who's already being funded in a similar but tangential project?

http://www.nsfgrfp.org/how_to_apply/choosing_a_primary_field

If you go to that link  they provide information on choosing a primary field.  They also provide the panel break downs from the previous year at the bottom of the page.  I would choose the PI who would provide you with the best mentoring and resources to complete you proposed project.  

I agree that citations in the proposed research are a no brainer. You may lose valuable space, but there's not really an alternative.

One format I have been recommended is in brackets in main text; e.g., (Gayatri Spivak:2001)

But then NOT repeating it at end in a citation list, or footnote, e.g., Spivak, Gayatri. Of Grammatology. Editions de Minuit: 1976.

Has anyone heard this?

Thank you. Are you guys including separate statements on BI and IM? Some of the previous essays I've read did not explicity state those, but I suppose it can't be a bad idea. Anyone else thoughts on this?

Sure it helps, and I'm doing that this year. In the past though, I did that as well and my third reviewer still destroyed me for not "dwelling on the societal broader impacts of my proposed research" despite the entire second page of my research proposal being labelled in bold "broader impacts" and one of the paragraphs (just under half a page) began with "The societal impact of my research...." Tough luck, I guess. Better luck this year!

And like you said, it can't be a bad idea, so why not highlight what the reviewers are looking for if it makes sense in the context and arragnement of your essays' content?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news... but I doubt they'll accept your application. They're pretty strict on these guidelines from what I see. I would definitely call them in the morning and ask, it can't hurt. Sorry.

Due to uploading issues, I submitted my application ~5 minutes late. Am i automatically screwed? Should I email NSF regarding this?

Due to uploading issues, I submitted my application ~5 minutes late. Am i automatically screwed? Should I email NSF regarding this?

Did you get a confirmation email from them?

Anyways, were you supposed to list your research experience under "other experiences?" I did not as I already talked about them in my essay. I only entered in two other activities (tutoring) in "other experiences," which were also the two that I didn't talk about in my essays.