NSF GRFP 2013-14

guttata

It isn't a margin, it's the spacing. A 0.7' margin would be a huge difference. I've since changed it and it is difficult to notice a difference. Do we hear about disqualifications earlier?

I believe you do, and they'll certainly note it as a DQ vs rejection after review

Also, for line spacing how does the "before" and "after" spacing options (under "line spacing options" in word) come into play? Can they be set to 0 as long as spacing is single-spaced?

Opinion?

but i guess it is late now! Just submitted my application.

Would y'all have outlined things the same way I did?

Goodluck!

Instead of mentioning these things throughout my application, I reserved it to the final page of my personal statement. Would you guys have mentioned it though out or at the first? How would you have done things differently? I am concerned, because it looks different then any of the past example applications. Mostly, what i have seen is people saving about a 3rd of a page to list abstracts and publications. I took an entire page. O.o

In a nutshell:

first page - broader impacts of food microbiology, safe food supply, everyone eats

second page- graduated h.s in class of 3 people, first generation Hispanic, research starting, mentoring hearing impaired girl, outreach/recruiting to minority students

third page: I am questioning if I took too much of a risk listing these out instead of talking about them. Below is just the short version. That page listed extraneous detail about conference, journal, co-authors, monetary support

• 7 abstracts (first author)
  • 1 publication (sixth author)
  • 2 publications submitted (3rd author)
  • 1 publication in preparation (1st author)
  • undergraduate program support: NSF, NIH, HHMI, CUR

I will do it differently next cycle! :P Good luck! It really is like winning the lottery!

It isn't a margin, it's the spacing. A 0.7' margin would be a huge difference. I've since changed it and it is difficult to notice a difference. Do we hear about disqualifications earlier?

Whoops, sorry completely misread. Also realizing you said references. They seem to be more flexible with those. 

All statements should be written using standard 8.5" x 11" page size, 12-point, Times New Roman font or 12-point, Computer Modern (LaTex) font, 1" margins on all sides, and must be single spaced or greater. Only publications and presentation citations may be a smaller font, no less than 10 point, Times New Roman or 10-point, Computer Modern (LaTex). Small type size makes it difficult for reviewers to read the application; consequently, the use of small type not in compliance with the application guidelines may be grounds for NSF to return the application without review.

I foolishly did not double check the spacing for proposal before sending it in. The spacing is a tiny bit under single spacing, and the references are at 0.7 spacing instead of 1.0 spacing. Does anyone know anyone who has been DQed for things such as these? The changes don't affect the length that much, and its difficult to notice unless you are looking for it. Anyone know if the process is automated? Is it every worth messaging them?

That's an auto rejection without a doubt. Do not message them since they may not notice it. 

I asked one of my professors to look over my research statement... last week. Just last night she finally responded telling me to send it. I sent it but haven't heard anything yet... -__-

Well, I got another professor and some others to look at it, so I guess it's probably fine. I'd rather just submit it right now and get it over with, but agh, I feel obligated to wait a little while longer...

question for other people in research-- we get credit hours for our lab experience and rotations, albeit the grades are pass fail. I WASN'T going to include it in my credit hours since it's not really a class. Should I?

Thanks!

question for other people in research-- we get credit hours for our lab experience and rotations, albeit the grades are pass fail. I WASN'T going to include it in my credit hours since it's not really a class. Should I?

Thanks!

This should be a no brainer. Is it reported on your transcript? Then yes, include it.

This should be a no brainer. Is it reported on your transcript? Then yes, include it.

Wait, i'm confused - where else can you report classes / credit hours besides on your transcript? and even then it's not like you have a choice about what credit hours to report, i mean if it's on your transcript then it gets reported, right?

Quick question! For the citations/references - does it matter what style we use? Is it okay to have a super condensed version, as follows?:

Last, F. Journal Name. (Year).

Or do we need to include the volume number and page numbers? I've found different answers in different places.

My apologies if this was already asked, but is it okay to omit a title on the research proposal document? In previous years it seemed to be a requirement but I didnt see any instructions requiring one on the document this year

Can anyone tell me how to see the reviews for a previous application?

I applied last year (didn't get it), but never got reviewer comments -- do I have to look at them online? If so, WHERE on the fastlane site do I look!?

Sorry Slick. Comments are not emailed out, they're made available shortly after announcements on your Fastlane profile page. Unfortunately, they're only available for a couple weeks after announcements and then deleted. There is no way for you to see your previous comments now.

Honestly, I'm probably going to just forget about the NSF until April. I have other applications to focus on, and I can't do anything about this right now, so whew! It's out of my hands!

Although I will stress about my two procrastinating professors until the 14th. They support me and will definitely get their reference letters in, but they always do things at the last minute, so I will have to remind them a ton.