American Studies 2014

For those interested -- I emailed UT-Austin and found out that I'm at the top of their waitlist, and should expect an acceptance within the next few weeks.

I also ended up emailing NYU (hey, might as well!). Their first round of acceptances went out, but there is still a possibility of a waitlist and they hope to notify candidates in the next week or two.

For those interested -- I emailed UT-Austin and found out that I'm at the top of their waitlist, and should expect an acceptance within the next few weeks.

I also ended up emailing NYU (hey, might as well!). Their first round of acceptances went out, but there is still a possibility of a waitlist and they hope to notify candidates in the next week or two.

cool! thanks for the heads up! any news on yale?

Congrats on the waitlist, that's fantastic news!  Though I imagine that'll just make your decision a bit more difficult...

Congrats on the waitlist, that's fantastic news!  Though I imagine that'll just make your decision a bit more difficult...

Thank you! It really is a tough decision, especially since I won't be able to visit any of the schools. I'm relying heavily on email, haha.

Good luck to you, too -- you have some really awesome acceptances so I expect your decision will be difficult as well!

hello to all,

newcomer here! i wish i knew about this website before! I applied to American and Ethnic Studies programs. I am interested in epistemic violence, and stereotypes in film and literature, focusing on how South Asians and Middle-Eastern folks have been portrayed in media. i am conflicted with my choices, i really like two, but I don't know which one to choose….

Crisoch, I see you were accepted to WSU’s program! Congrats! A friend of mine applied there and I think is still waiting to hear back. When did you get your notification, if you don’t mind me asking?

hello to all,

newcomer here! i wish i knew about this website before! I applied to American and Ethnic Studies programs. I am interested in epistemic violence, and stereotypes in film and literature, focusing on how South Asians and Middle-Eastern folks have been portrayed in media. i am conflicted with my choices, i really like two, but I don't know which one to choose….

Congratulations on your acceptances! I'm having a tough time with my decision, too. Mind if I ask which two are your top choices as of now?

Edit: Also, you did your undergrad at Michigan! How did you like the American Culture dept there?

Edited by hj2012

Congratulations on your acceptances! I'm having a tough time with my decision, too. Mind if I ask which two are your top choices as of now?

Edit: Also, you did your undergrad at Michigan! How did you like the American Culture dept there?

good evening hj2012,

are you in the US? Europe? 

I am a senior at Michigan. American Culture with emphasis on Native American Studies. 

My mentor is Tiya Miles but I rarely see her :( many of the faculty are busy because they are super amazing! but hard to communicate with 

UT and Berkeley are my top two. UT has amazing Asian American studies professors, like Randolph Lewis, and Naomi Paik, but I hear that Berkeley has more opportunity with Evelyn Nakano and Michael Omi….

I don't know!!!!!! Im so torn, and they have stipends that are comparable. And you?

good evening hj2012,

are you in the US? Europe? 

I am a senior at Michigan. American Culture with emphasis on Native American Studies. 

My mentor is Tiya Miles but I rarely see her :( many of the faculty are busy because they are super amazing! but hard to communicate with 

UT and Berkeley are my top two. UT has amazing Asian American studies professors, like Randolph Lewis, and Naomi Paik, but I hear that Berkeley has more opportunity with Evelyn Nakano and Michael Omi….

I don't know!!!!!! Im so torn, and they have stipends that are comparable. And you?

I'm actually living abroad in Asia. :) Yes, UT has AMAZING faculty! I'm actually on the waitlist for them, but some of my favorite scholars work there. 

I don't know if this will affect your decision at all, but I've heard that UT is a much more "historical" department. And, according to my friend who is doing her PhD there (albeit in Sociology) it's actually a relatively limiting place to do Asian/Asian American studies. (Browsing the grad students interests is pretty revealing.)

I think Berkeley probably has best overall faculty for A/PIA studies, but YES, the cost of living is so high! What a difficult decision!

Do you mind if I ask how much the stipend is at UT? I'm trying to decide if it's worthwhile for me to stay on the waitlist or if I should just remove myself and focus on deciding between Michigan and Berkeley...

I'm actually living abroad in Asia. :) Yes, UT has AMAZING faculty! I'm actually on the waitlist for them, but some of my favorite scholars work there. 

I don't know if this will affect your decision at all, but I've heard that UT is a much more "historical" department. And, according to my friend who is doing her PhD there (albeit in Sociology) it's actually a relatively limiting place to do Asian/Asian American studies. (Browsing the grad students interests is pretty revealing.)

I think Berkeley probably has best overall faculty for A/PIA studies, but YES, the cost of living is so high! What a difficult decision!

Do you mind if I ask how much the stipend is at UT? I'm trying to decide if it's worthwhile for me to stay on the waitlist or if I should just remove myself and focus on deciding between Michigan and Berkeley...

Let's pm

I too was part of the Brown AmStudies rejection pool, but haven't heard back anything from Harvard yet.  Looks like some people have an update from Harvard in their signatures -- anyone still waiting to hear back from them?

I'm waiting to hear from Harvard too. I emailed them today, actually, to ask about when we might hear something. Do they typically send rejections in batches? 'Cause that's about all I feel I can expect.

I'm waiting to hear from Harvard too. I emailed them today, actually, to ask about when we might hear something. Do they typically send rejections in batches? 'Cause that's about all I feel I can expect.

I ended up emailing them because they snail mail rejections, and who knows how long that could take. (I live abroad.) The graduate coordinator was SUPER nice and prompt.

To anyone who got accepted to University of Maryland's American Studies Program...

Hello. Just thought I would see who else out there got accepted, who's on the wait list waiting, etc... I am currently on the wait list and am anxious to get my official acceptance soon. Is anyone else out there feeling the same? 

To anyone who got accepted to University of Maryland's American Studies Program...

Hello. Just thought I would see who else out there got accepted, who's on the wait list waiting, etc... I am currently on the wait list and am anxious to get my official acceptance soon. Is anyone else out there feeling the same? 

Sent you a PM! 

how is everyone? have people started making decisions yet? I am hoping someone get lifted off the USC or UT wait list! I withdrew today from both institutions!

Congrats on making your decision!  Must feel good to know where you'll be next year.  I'm still working through my options, but hope to make a decision soon.  Are you going to Berkeley for ethnic studies or another program?

Congrats on making your decision!  Must feel good to know where you'll be next year.  I'm still working through my options, but hope to make a decision soon.  Are you going to Berkeley for ethnic studies or another program?

Ethnic Studies! What are you thinking about? I hear the weather in Riverside is beautiful

Ethnic Studies! What are you thinking about? I hear the weather in Riverside is beautiful

Oops I just realized that I already knew that, haha.  Not sure yet!  All the programs can offer really great things and are strong in different ways.  I still need to talk to a few more people and am going to sit down and likely make a huge pro/con list and think things through.  Riverside has nice weather :) but I wouldn't mind getting back to the Midwest either!

I can't decide!! 

Choosing between UCI Culture & Theory and UMinnesota American Studies--and I'm wait listed to Maryland, would love to go there but want to make a decision in case I don't make it off the wait list. I can see upsides and downsides to both programs (and both areas for livability and my research), but would love anyone's thoughts on the programs if you've got them.  I know that's a loaded question, but I'm getting anxious about choosing where I'm going to live for the next 5-6 years!

Eka- I am waitlisted at Maryland too. I don't know much about the program... what is it about the Maryland program that is a draw for you?

alicebtoklas--there's a couple of faculty there that i'd love  chance to work with, plus I've done a lot of policy work out in DC and I'd love to be able to stay in  the scene and have access to orgs out there for my project.  alas, i'll have to make it work somewhere else.  i didn't think choosing would be so hard.