Time to set up school-specific forums for Fall 2014?

Steve

Yes, it's about that time. There's already an HKS thread up and sort of one for Sciences-Po, but it might be worth setting them up for WWS, SIPA, Fletcher, SAIS, Georgetown, GW, and so on... Anybody second?

Yes, it's about that time. There's already an HKS thread up and sort of one for Sciences-Po, but it might be worth setting them up for WWS, SIPA, Fletcher, SAIS, Georgetown, GW, and so on... Anybody second?

I'm for it. Let's shake things up this year.

In the past people have just done school-specific threads, I think that's probably better than sub-forums.  Very few questions are actually going to be school specific (fin-aid, class choice, professors, culture, living situation) and a lot can be found out from searching past-threads as well.  I think actual sub-forums would dilute, rather than enhance discussion.

Hmm, I see your point. I think some schools' applications (like SAIS) can be so complex depending on what specific program one is applying to that a dedicated forum might make sense. Plus it might be good if there are some past applicants who are now attending these schools who can give feedback, as occasionally happens on here. Otherwise, it seems that school-specific threads would be more useful after people start hearing back from schools if they want to "meet" future classmates before starting school, etc.

But I guess we can just keep an eye out because people are bound to post some school-specific threads anyhow.

Thanks for the input.

I don't think complicated and school specific applications are that different in any other area, and we don't do school specific sub-forums for any other part of the board. 

Generally, sub-forums significantly fragment the posts, and tend to make it more difficult for people to find what should go where, and/or lead to duplicated topics. 

School specific threads seem like they should meet the needs fine, I'm not sure what you're imagining that you'd need a whole sub-forum for one program at one school for one application season. 

Sorry everyone, some of the disagreement here is because I didn't use the term "forum" correctly. Yes, school-specific threads should be more than sufficient.

Sorry everyone, some of the disagreement here is because I didn't use the term "forum" correctly. Yes, school-specific threads should be more than sufficient.

Oh, in that case I'd agree! It'd get a bit cluttered though, wouldn't you think? Essentially every APSIA school would have a thread.