2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

My safety school (safety meaning that they still have a program that I'm interested in, but it's a terminal Masters) has an April deadline, but I don't plan on applying unless I get rejected by all the schools I'd like to attend.

I've actually also wondered how they would have time to get back to everyone with a deadline that late. 

Edited by geographyrocks

My safety school (safety meaning that they still have a program that I'm interested in, but it's a terminal Masters) has an April deadline, but I don't plan on applying unless I get rejected by all the schools I'd like to attend.

I've actually also wondered how they would have time to get back to everyone with a deadline that late. 

I think it is all relative.  Both schools that accepted me, did so within two or three weeks of me submitting my applications. 

I think it is all relative.  Both schools that accepted me, did so within two or three weeks of me submitting my applications. 

That's what I was thinking... So admissions start before the deadlines in some cases.

Weird, but makes sense in a way. So I should be paranoid and check my e-mails like a maniac. :ph34r:

Undergrad Institution: Small Texas state school
Major(s):Geology
Minor(s):Geography (GIS)
GPA in Major:4.0
Overall GPA:3.48
Position in Class: #1
Type of Student: Non-traditional Male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q:154
V:158
W:4.0

TOEFL Total: (if applicable, otherwise delete this)

Research Experience: Honors college research projects, nothing major

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: President's List, Honors College, Summa Cum Laude, Local Geological Society Scholarships, AIPG Scholarship, NAGT/USGS Internship nomination (Field Camp)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: AAPG Student Chapter President, Volunteer at regional and national GSA's,

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Miscellaneous short courses: (Well Logging, Sequence Stratigraphic Concepts)

Special Bonus Points: Picked cotton like a boss would.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I want to study mudrocks, sequence stratigraphy, basin analysis

Applying to Where:  Probably too many places, but in the end I only applied to the schools that I felt gave me information on projects along with an idea of whether or not they will have funding for a student. 

University of Texas - Geology - Mud
Texas A&M - Geology  - Mud and Lime
Oklahoma State - Geology - Mud Lime and Relative sea level 

Colorado State- Geology- Mud Mud and more Mud

University of Utah- Geology- Lakes and Mud

Montana State- Geology- the architecture of sand and such

South Dakota School of Mines- Basin Analysis (Accepted- No funding)

New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology (Accepted-No funding details, possibly up for it as it comes available)

Hi All

I belong to Pakistan and targeting TAMU, Austin, Stanford for MS in Petroleum Engineering. Kindly evaluate my application and share related experience:

GRE: V150, Q161 (TOEFL to be taken shortly)

GPA: 3.7

2 Years of relevant experience

One Student level paper presented at Qatar TAMU, SPE Regional paper contest.

Few other extra-curricular achievements. 

Thanks in advance for feedback.

New Mexico! Good on you :)

Also... I think you have a thing for mud. I don't know what gave me that impression.

Can you imagine what people unfamiliar with geosciences must think when they see someone with an interest in mud?  :lol:

And congrats on your acceptances!  Hopefully, you'll hear back about funding soon!

Hi All

I belong to Pakistan and targeting TAMU, Austin, Stanford for MS in Petroleum Engineering. Kindly evaluate my application and share related experience:

GRE: V150, Q161 (TOEFL to be taken shortly)

GPA: 3.7

2 Years of relevant experience

One Student level paper presented at Qatar TAMU, SPE Regional paper contest.

Few other extra-curricular achievements. 

Thanks in advance for feedback.

I think your GRE is too low for those places if you want funding. most top schools look for 320 combined.

Just received an email that I was invited to the University of  Reno/Desert Research Institute Graduate Program of Hydrologic Sciences  (GPHS) recruiting days, scheduled for March 7-8, 2014, as a "top candidate."  

E-mail said, "We can reimburse up to $500 for roundtrip transportation costs (gas or coach flight) to Reno and we will provide transportation in the Reno area as well as meals and lodging with current GPHS  students during your stay in Reno."

Wooo :) 

Just received an email that I was invited to the University of  Reno/Desert Research Institute Graduate Program of Hydrologic Sciences  (GPHS) recruiting days, scheduled for March 7-8, 2014, as a "top candidate."  

E-mail said, "We can reimburse up to $500 for roundtrip transportation costs (gas or coach flight) to Reno and we will provide transportation in the Reno area as well as meals and lodging with current GPHS  students during your stay in Reno."

Congratulations!

Did you apply for the MS or Ph.D?

Edited by geographyrocks

Kudos! How flattering it must be to hear "top candidate"!

Congratulations!

Did you apply for the MS or Ph.D?

PHD, I was also told in an email today that were was additional funding in the Hydrologic Science program for two GTA positions for PHD students if any research-specific funding falls through.

Edited by anthony333

NICE!!!

I wish I would hear back from just one of my universities. 

Just received an email from my prospective adviser at UNM. He told me to expect an acceptance letter in the mail with full tuition, health insurance, and a $16,000-$18,000 TAship that will turn into an RA as soon as he gets funding.  :D:lol:

Congratulations!