2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

I was offered 2 years of funding for a MS and I will be getting offered the same from another school shortly (with a few more potentials)...I just don't want to burn any bridges and I think it'd be kind of rude to ignore a personal email from a potential advisor until late March (yes, deadlines mentioned are April 15). Just not sure how to set an email up to cover all of my bases...

I was offered 2 years of funding for a MS and I will be getting offered the same from another school shortly (with a few more potentials)...I just don't want to burn any bridges and I think it'd be kind of rude to ignore a personal email from a potential advisor until late March (yes, deadlines mentioned are April 15). Just not sure how to set an email up to cover all of my bases...

Thank them for the offer, and let them know that you have some decisions to make. They will understand because they have been in the same situation you have.

All I know about CU Boulder is that someone was accepted into the Environmental Studies Masters program earlier today and the online portal is down.  Besides that, they've been pretty quiet.  Judging from past results and threads, CU is anywhere from mid-Feb to mid-March.

I heard back from CU Boulder last year in mid feb for an interview. I got an acceptance from the department before my interview which was kind of strange but then i ended up not getting funded from my POI so I could not attend :(

Strange that acceptance can happen without funding... was this MS or PhD ??? CU is a strong program... its almost unheard of to get a PhD admission without funding from a department like that.

Strange that acceptance can happen without funding... was this MS or PhD ??? CU is a strong program... its almost unheard of to get a PhD admission without funding from a department like that.

It was MS. I thought it was kind of strange because my advisor had told me during initial talking that they don't admit anyone they can't fund. I thought maybe it was a fluke but the email was from the department, and when I didn't get back to them by april 15th they emailed me back and said since I didn't get back to them they assumed I wasn't attending. 

My POI was going to pay tuition, stipend, research expenses, and possibly extra to take a class or two at school of mines. Since he could only fund one student and I was not selected there was really no way I could go anyway unless I did a non thesis. 

I have a general question. I got an email from one of my POI's that I was accepted and should be getting an official letter in the mail soon. He wanted to know if I was still interested in attending. I feel like the next step would be a visit, but I don't want to make any visit decisions until I hear back from more schools (this school in particular is very far away, and on the website it says they will not pay visitation costs for MS students). Should I mention that I will make visitation decisions when I have heard back from more schools, or not even bring it up? I was worried he might think it is strange if I do not mention visiting campus. 

I will post my schools on here when I hear back from one or two more. 

Edited by Geologyisawesome

Felipep- I was accepted into Scripps. I got an email from my POI on January 17th saying I was recommended for admission. Funding was 29k/year guaranteed for the first two years, and then 30k/year guaranteed once I advance to candidacy. This does not include the potential of TAing over the summer for additional $$. 

If anyone has any questions, please let me know. 

Edited by reeses_pieces

Felipep- I was accepted into Scripps. I got an email from my POI on January 17th saying I was recommended for admission. Funding was 29k/year guaranteed for the first two years, and then 30k/year guaranteed once I advance to candidacy. This does not include the potential of TAing over the summer for additional $$. 

Thats a pretty attractive funding package, congrats!

Congrats on getting into Scripps!  

I turned down my UC offer this week.  That was tough even if UC was my safety school I think the work I would have done there would have actually been really interesting.  

I was contacted by Utah earlier this week and I'll be setting up a visit there for Mid March.  I'm visiting TAMU in early March, and I declined an opportunity to visit UC Merced as there is very little chance I would attend there after the other offers I've received.

Still waiting to hear from Notre Dame, Washington, and Scripps.

So, anyone have advice on visitation weekends?  

Undergrad Institution: One of the top ranking institutes in India

Major(s):Civil Engineering
Minor(s):
GPA in Major:
Overall GPA:3.00
Position in Class: no idea
Type of Student: international

Master's GPA:3.81

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q:162
V:162
W:4.0

TOEFL Total: 117

Research Experience: 6 months Bachelor Thesis, one year Master's thesis on (ongoing) ,

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: awarded national fellowship for master's studies

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA in water quality related courses, 6-month full time TA experience as well

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: 2  month- Internship at a big Government Space Applications Institute India, 3 months Internship at a software development firm, 2 months internship in the organizing committee of Commonwealth Games (not related to the research interests)

Couple of research projects during undergrad..

Special Bonus Points: 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 2 strong LORs, 1 OK

Master's thesis: Land Use land cover change and studying relationship between aerosol and ground PM concentration.

Applying to Where:

MIT- MS Civil and Env Eng. - Hydroclimatology
UT Austin, Jackson School- MS Geological Sciences- Hydroclimatology
Columbia- PhD- Earth and Environmental Sciences

U Arizona MS Hydroclimatology

U wisconsin MS Atmospheric Sciences

Yale FES - MESc

UC Irvine- PhD Earth Sciences

rutgers MS Atmospheric Sciences

Somebody please give me a hint, where do I stand???

Edited by moneygram

I'd say MIT and Columbia are probaby out of reach.  They generally send out acceptances early (according to the results search) and EVERYONE wants to go there so you're competing against 500 people instead of 120 for 5-10 spots. 

Did you contact any professors before applying?  That could make the difference between acceptance and rejections sometimes. 

I'd say MIT and Columbia are probaby out of reach.  They generally send out acceptances early (according to the results search) and EVERYONE wants to go there so you're competing against 500 people instead of 120 for 5-10 spots. 

Did you contact any professors before applying?  That could make the difference between acceptance and rejections sometimes. 

thanx geographyrocks... yes a professor at UT Austin, He just sent me a mail saying the usual thing - 'I encourage you to apply'. And at Yale, I contacted somebody who said she was interested and she asked me to send my writing samples which I did. At other places..No.. Hoping for a miracle.. 

I can't speak to whether it's at all indicative of where you are on the list, but I have heard of other schools sending out official wait-list emails before - Northern Arizona specifically. I'd agree that it's probably rather atypical, but definitely not unheard of. 

I just got an email from WashU saying I was waitlisted..... does that mean I am high on the list??? I have never heard of an offical waitlist from an earth science grad school..

Maybe they're waiting for grants to come in.  I would definitely email the graduate admission person and ask what it means exactly.  Also find out where you are on the list.  I'm sure they expect waitlisted people to call and ask questions. 

I would definitely email them and ask as well. Like geographyrocks said, maybe they're waiting on something to come in, or (as was my experience with this before) this might be how the department handles being unsure about how many acceptances their first round will actually yield. If that's the case, I'd take it to mean it's probably a fairly short list.