2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Accepted into CU Boulder for a PhD.

EDIT: Geological Sciences department, fyi

Double edit: I forgot, if anyone else is still waiting to hear from from the geology department at CU Boulder they said they hadn't sent out a bunch of their acceptances yet. Also, it seems I am funded but no word on what that package entails exactly.

Congrats! 

EDIT: Did you ever post your stats?  I can't remember.

Edited by geographyrocks

Undergrad Institution: Large state school 
Major(s): Geology 
Minor(s): No minor, but took a lot of extra courses 
GPA in Major: 3.52
Overall GPA: 3.34
Position in Class: No idea 

Type of Student: Domestic

GRE Scores (revised): 
Q: 168
V:166

Research Experience: Research experience began senior year of high school running my own project out of a NOAA lab. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: University honors program/citation, invited to departmental honors but declined since I was studied abroad and didnt want to graduate late, honors thesis project. 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Working as environmental consultant at remediation firm for the past few months. Also worked with a local tech company and spearheading a side kickstarter project to develop small carbon monoxide detectors that can be plugged into an iphone. Potential for measurements of other harmful compounds/gases as well (think methane, CO2 levels, etc). 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 2 recommendations from professor's I've worked with extensively and 1 from the tech company. Two upcoming publications with the professors writing me the recommendations. Poster presentations for thesis and an REU, but no conference poster presentations. 

Applying to Where: Accepted, Applied, Interview, Rejected 
Scripps Institution of Oceanography- PhD (five years of funding guaranteed by SIO, fellowships will cover my expenses in general, although they want me to TA one quarter so I get some experience.)

Arizona State University- PhD 

CU Boulder- Applied to MS but got accepted to PhD after interview? (funded, likely RA/TA position?)

University of Washington- PhD (no word)

UC Santa Barbara- MS (no word)

University of Wisconsin Madison- MS (funded, but declined before I heard back about details since I got accepted to SIO)

Boston University- PhD 

My guess is I'm not getting accepted into Univ. of Washington... I contacted the professor I was interested in working with there pretty late in the game since I hadn't planned on applying there originally. Haven't heard back. I'm expecting to get into BU based on the meeting I've had with my POI there, but haven't heard anything official back. POI at ASU is having some funding issues apparently, so that is up in the air. SIO was my top choice, so barring some miracle I'll be heading there. Hope this helps. 

Edited by reeses_pieces

I realize all programs are different, but does anyone have any idea how long after an interview you will be notified by a program? Berkeley interviewed a month ago and no word (but I heard rejections went out to other interviewees) and I just got back from UT Austin. I will continue to be a nervous wreck until I have "a bird in the hand".

And it feels kinda tacky to ask...

I realize all programs are different, but does anyone have any idea how long after an interview you will be notified by a program? Berkeley interviewed a month ago and no word (but I heard rejections went out to other interviewees) and I just got back from UT Austin. I will continue to be a nervous wreck until I have "a bird in the hand".

And it feels kinda tacky to ask...

It was roughly two weeks from the point I received my recommendation for admission from POI until the official notification from the graduate coordinator arrived. Did you enjoy your time in Austin?

Austin was great, and the department is amazing (although I have some ethical issues about some of the funding...). How long after your interview did your POI let you know?

I just knew the timeframe from submission of recomendation for admission of POI and grad committee to "my status" site being updated, I didn't have an interview.

Gotcha! Apparently UCB is taking their time so they can offer acceptance an funding packages at the same time. I'd be more at ease I had a definite "yes" from somewhere... Sigh...

My POI at UT leaves Austin at the end of the week, so maybe she'll give me a heads up. I can't wait for these next 2-3 weeks to pass...

UW atmospheric science update: my POI told me that some acceptances have been sent out, so now theyre going through their list of maybes. He said most of us should be hearing back within the next 2 weeks. Woot!

UW atmospheric science update: my POI told me that some acceptances have been sent out, so now theyre going through their list of maybes. He said most of us should be hearing back within the next 2 weeks. Woot!

Good news since I want to decide in that time frame or shortly there after.  Thanks for the info.

I already live in NYC and am in the CUNY system, so its time for a change. I threw in the CUNY app just in case my SO and I needed to stick around, but I think we're ready for the move! But Berkeley is still hush hush; Its going to be a tough call between UCB and UT if I get into both!

I've spent a decent amount of time in both Austin and Berkeley and you definitely can't go wrong with either. I do love Berkeley's free thinking atmosphere though, a professor I know who went there said its great for coming up with some unique and innovate research.

Either way, congrats!!!

Congrats on the acceptances!  

BTW, can those of you who have gone on visits already possibly describe them?  I'm really curious as to what to expect.

Denied from University of Oregon today, came in the snail mail, not sure if anyone else got the same result?

Guess I'm having a terrible cycle so far, no acceptances.  -_-

How many more schools do you have left?? Don't give up hope!

Congrats on the acceptances!  

BTW, can those of you who have gone on visits already possibly describe them?  I'm really curious as to what to expect.

I have an itinerary for the Scripps open house for mid-march, if you'd like to see it. If not I can tell you more once I'm there! 

I also have one for UW- madison as well. 

Edited by reeses_pieces

CC2014,

I've been in two so far, but my experience and from other stories I've heard, the "interview" (at least for geoscience) is more like a meet and greet. You are typically put up with a graduate student host in your department, and that person will tell you anything you need to know about the program. For both of mine, there is a day that is more generalized, and then a day that is specific to your specialty. On the "general" day, you will get group tours of labs/ collections/ offices/ campus, and given information about funding/ requirements/ etc. For the "specialty" day, you will have one on one meetings with your POI and relevant faculty members (these are very relaxed, and quite fun! I was just asked about my broad interests and philosophy of science). These days are so much fun, but crazy exhausting! There is hardly time to make a call or use the facilities! All food is taken care of, and typically there is an opportunity to talk to students and faculty over beer.

If you a preparing for one, I wouldn't worry about "studying up" too much (I did this, and it proved useless), but make sure you understand your reasons for wanting to enter their program, and be able to talk (generally) about your research experience and what you can bring to the program. Also, if you come in with the right questions, you can get a lot of really helpful information from the graduate students. Good Luck!

If you a preparing for one, I wouldn't worry about "studying up" too much (I did this, and it proved useless), but make sure you understand your reasons for wanting to enter their program, and be able to talk (generally) about your research experience and what you can bring to the program. Also, if you come in with the right questions, you can get a lot of really helpful information from the graduate students. Good Luck!

This is great to know, seeing as how I had already printed out a bunch of papers for my first open house. You just saved me a few hours! 

Its sometimes scary how much all of us on this board are alike.  I got an itinerary for my first visit this weekend and I HAVE been "preparing" for some of these meetings by reading some of the faculty members papers.  

Thanks for your viewpoint.  I'm mostly just pretty excited to meet some of these researchers and check everything out.  

This is great to know, seeing as how I had already printed out a bunch of papers for my first open house. You just saved me a few hours! 

LOL case in point.