2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Congrats! I also haven't heard back from CSU....my potential adviser said something about April 1 though.

There are a lot of people applying to CSU on here. I have not hear back either. I hope they get back to us before April 1st. That is not very much time to make a decision. 

I feel like I saw something about low funding at CSU this year so maybe that's why the long wait. 

I received an email today notifying me that I was awarded a Dean's Scholarship at DU.  Of course, it's only a half-time tuition scholarship so I would end up having to pay $17,000 a year.  :lol:  I know they don't intend it to be funny, but I find it funny.  I haven't heard anymore about the potential GA positions.  

Congrats on all of the acceptances!

Ugh 3 rejections in 3 days.  My POI at ASU wont be around next semester, UC Davis apparently has no one working on what Im interested in (?!?!?), and a flat out rejection from Cornell.  Lets hope the last 2 schools pull through. 

Ugh 3 rejections in 3 days.  My POI at ASU wont be around next semester, UC Davis apparently has no one working on what Im interested in (?!?!?), and a flat out rejection from Cornell.  Lets hope the last 2 schools pull through. 

Did you contact a POI at davis ?

Yup! Chatted on the phone a couple of times about potential projects and everything.  It seems a little odd. 

Interesting (I just accepted their offer a few days ago). When I was there they pretty much had everything, and were expanding. That reasoning is quite surprising unless your proposed project was very specific.

I'm sure you will have better luck elsewhere.

Interesting (I just accepted their offer a few days ago). When I was there they pretty much had everything, and were expanding. That reasoning is quite surprising unless your proposed project was very specific.

I'm sure you will have better luck elsewhere.

Congrats! And I definitely tried to not pigeonhole myself for that very reason.  The more I think about it the more it seems like a bit of a lie, but I didnt really want to end up there anyway I suppose. 

What are your interests?

What are your interests?

Structure-more specifically active tectonics, tectonic geomorph, and landscape evolution.  I did talk to someone that was working on these things and seemed interested but you cant win them all I suppose, I just want to get one!  

I'm a little late to the party, but here goes:

Undergrad Institution: Highly ranked public school
Major(s): Geology
Minor(s): None
GPA in Major: 3.1
Overall GPA: 3.43
Type of Student: Male, Domestic

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 151
V: 155
W: 4

Research Experience: Field assistantship last summer, 2nd author on a GSA poster

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's List for two semesters, Honor's Thesis

Applying to Where:

University of Florida - MS -Tectonics
University of Minnesota - MS - Neotectonics

Syracuse - MS - Tectonics

Cincinnati - MS -Neotectonics

Arizona State - MS- Neotectonics

UC Davis - PhD - Neotectonics

Boston College - MS - Tectonics/Microstructural Analysis

Rejected

Accepted

Waitlist

Edited by ThisGuy

Hi guys,

did anyone hear anything from geology programs of Texas A&M, Oklahoma State and especially City University of New York GC (CUNY) regarding reaching a decision about the Fall 2014 PhD pool? Thanks in advance for sharing the updates.

Applying to Where:

University of Florida - MS -Tectonics

University of Minnesota - MS - Neotectonics

Syracuse - MS - Tectonics

Cincinnati - MS -Neotectonics

Arizona State - MS- Neotectonics

UC Davis - PhD - Neotectonics

Boston College - MS - Tectonics/Microstructural Analysis

Rejected

Accepted

Waitlist

Huh, I applied to ASU and Davis for tectonics too, we probably talked to the same people!

Hi guys,

did anyone hear anything from geology programs of Texas A&M, Oklahoma State and especially City University of New York GC (CUNY) regarding reaching a decision about the Fall 2014 PhD pool? Thanks in advance for sharing the updates.

I have not heard back from Texas A&M either(M.S. tho).

Hi guys,

First Round offers for CUNY Grad Center went out two weeks ago, and I understand if you haven't heard than you are waitlisted for now as spots open up. Good luck!!!

Question time!

Would you unofficially accept an unofficial offer?  lol  It sounds confusing, but I was offered admission by my POI.  A week later (or less) I received the department notification of my offer.  Since then (over a month) I have been patiently waiting for the official graduate school offer which would include the concrete stipend amount and maybe other financial offers.  I've been communicating with the admissions chair and he just asked if he could "record for the time being that you will accept our offer (pending the official letter)" because the official grad school letters won't be out for another week or longer.  Something about a new system and being backlogged.  Anyway, should I tell him yes or wait for the official letter to accept?  I don't think there is any harm in "unofficially" accepting since I will definitely be going and funding is guaranteed, but I overlook things sometimes. 

Thanks in advance!

Probably! Did you hear from Davis yet?

Yup, I got an email from the department yesterday morning saying that I didnt get in because "No major professor was working on project mentioned by applicant" which is weird considering I had a couple of phone calls with my poi about potential projects that went really well.  Oh well he emailed me last night saying my app was really competitive so Ive got that going for me I guess. 

I hope you didnt apply to the same guy I did at ASU because I think if I hadnt emailed him a couple of weeks ago he never would have told me hes not taking anyone due to over-commitment. 

Question time!

Would you unofficially accept an unofficial offer?  lol  It sounds confusing, but I was offered admission by my POI.  A week later (or less) I received the department notification of my offer.  Since then (over a month) I have been patiently waiting for the official graduate school offer which would include the concrete stipend amount and maybe other financial offers.  I've been communicating with the admissions chair and he just asked if he could "record for the time being that you will accept our offer (pending the official letter)" because the official grad school letters won't be out for another week or longer.  Something about a new system and being backlogged.  Anyway, should I tell him yes or wait for the official letter to accept?  I don't think there is any harm in "unofficially" accepting since I will definitely be going and funding is guaranteed, but I overlook things sometimes. 

Thanks in advance!

Do nothing until you make it through the Graduate school; let the department know that you haven't received your official acceptance

Edited by GeoDUDE!

Do nothing until you make it through the Graduate school; let the department know that you haven't received your official acceptance

The department knows I don't have my official acceptance.  The admissions chair of the department is the one who told me of the delay at the graduate school.  And then he asked me if he could record that I would accept the offer.  He also said that he asked the graduate school to expedite my application and they agreed to.  I'm guessing he just wants it for his records.  *shrug*