2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

One of the schools I applied will send out decisions by March 10th. I emailed to one of my potential advisors to see if he has made any decisions, but he didn't reply. Should I call him? 

ASU made its first round of offers a few weeks ago, and the prospective/recruitment weekend was last weekend. Because the first round of acceptances was a few weeks ago now, I would imagine there was also a large first round of rejections that went out as well. If that's the case I would say that if you haven't heard anything you're probably on some sort of a wait-list deal. 

Or, as we all know, getting professors to do anything on time is like trying to nail jello to a wall, so perhaps some people just haven't made decisions yet. 

Hmm well I emailed my POI after I posted here and he said my application was still under consideration, hopefully he hasnt made a decision yet. 

Oops...First time knowing what a rejection letter looks like...Just think about what I could have done with 125 USD...Hope other rejections won't come too soon.

Hi, did you apply to the geophysics at CSM? Nothing yet...

Montana State rejection in the mail

What? incredible! UT-Austin accepted you but Montana State rejected you? I think the application at UT is more competitive! 

What? incredible! UT-Austin accepted you but Montana State rejected you? I think the application at UT is more competitive! 

My new (very unscientific) theory on applying to schools is it's 40% fit, 10% credentials, and 40% chance.  I give chance such a high percentage because you could have the most amazing application in the world, but it doesn't mean squat if there is no funding or no advisors available for your field. 

I think geographyrocks is right, I did more networking at UT and the funds were there to support me. In my case I am getting the best responses from schools that I have personally visited.

I think geographyrocks is right, I did more networking at UT and the funds were there to support me. In my case I am getting the best responses from schools that I have personally visited.

Yep, same with me. I didn't visit SIO, but I sure as hell networked more there than anywhere else. My POI was a great fit, we talked often, etc. 

Undergrad Institution: Johns Hopkins University

Major(s): Environmental Engineering (5 yr BS/MSE)

Minor(s): none

GPA in Major: 3.77

Overall GPA: 3.75

Position in Class: Not certain

Type of Student: domestic white male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):

Q: 164

V: 167

W: 4.0 (I hope this is counterbalanced by my SoP and the quality of writing in my publications, which are a better indicator of my ability to write well.)

Research Experience: One published article first author, two submitted first author, one submitted second author. Two were from my time as a student and two from my time working since then (I'm 1.5 yrs out of school). I've presented my research at conferences (posters) and to policy makers (oral presentation, as a member of a research team from at my current job).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: departmental and general honors

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Research position currently in a related field. As mentioned above this has led to submitting two papers that are now in review.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Some relevant experience in professional service doing things like organizing a panel event

Special Bonus Points: Rec letter from someone that knows 3 or 4 of my POIs personally. This may not be uncommon enough to give me "bonus points" but it did give me an in to meet with them before submitting my application.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where: PhD programs relating to the hydroclimate and drought.

University of Maryland - PhD Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences

Columbia - PhD Earth and Environmental Sciences

UC Irvine - PhD Earth System Science

Princeton - PhD Civil and Environmental Engineering

Good luck brooks40204! It doesn't look like we're applying to the same programs, but I may see you around at some conferences I suppose.

Hi, wander, congrats on your admits. I too am a fellow researcher in hydro-climatology. So which program are you choosing, given you have acceptances from all 4 univs you applied??..:)

Hi all! Still waiting to hear back from a place, and the app deadline was 1 Feb. Any ideas how to safely touch base with my POI, maybe let them know I had an abstract accepted at a conference, and at the same time get some word on the app status? Or is that too risky/too much too soon given the deadline was 6 weeks ago?

Hi all! Still waiting to hear back from a place, and the app deadline was 1 Feb. Any ideas how to safely touch base with my POI, maybe let them know I had an abstract accepted at a conference, and at the same time get some word on the app status? Or is that too risky/too much too soon given the deadline was 6 weeks ago?

I got word of my acceptance (3 years ago) when I called the student affairs officer at the program I'd applied for, and inquired outright. If a similar staff person has been the primary contact in handling the app process for you (and, will ultimately handle much of your paperwork when you're enrolled), that is a good person to contact.

I know to check the survey part of the site, but is there any news on Utah, Wyoming, or Tulsa for Masters applicants?

As far as I know, no news. What is more, I do not mean to offend you, do you think the geology program at Tulsa is good for International applicants? I think it is too small with only ten faculties. 

Any news from UH? It's so weird not hearing from UH by now. If UH reject me, I have nowhere to go...

My POI emailed me that results will be made next week. I will cross my fingers for you.

My POI emailed me that results will be made next week. I will cross my fingers for you.

Which program did you apply for? I contacted with the graduate coordinator and she replied that The Graduate Committee are reviewing but no decisions have been made.

----

I got the first rejection from the worst and safest choice: Huntsville Alabama- PhD in atmospheric science. Very soon after the reception of documents; the  department  chair  has  noted  that  I  lack  Math  and  Physics background.  It is too strange for me, since I passed many courses related to both of them. I also passed the prerequisite courses mentioned on their website. What did they expect from an engineer? having knowledge of quantum mechanics? It would have been lesser insulting, if he had told me that I lack strong math and physics background! :)

Edited by Souri_RS

I mean it depends. Almost all the people in atmospheric sciences that I know either are straight physicists, mathematicians or chemists. 

Thank you for your support :)

Well, most recent developments in atmospheric science are supported by the available remotely sensed measurements. The role of someone who is familiar with signal/image processing, atmospheric artifacts estimation and physics of electromagnetic radiations can’t be ignored. Many of the scientific papers in Journal of Climate, Bulletin of American meteorological society, Journal of atmospheric and oceanic technology and so forth are purely in the field of remote sensing.I cannot find any placard which "No country for old Engineers" is written on, in atmosphere departments. However, it is undeniable that physicists, mathematicians or chemists have greater chance for this field.