2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Well they're obviously interested in you or else they wouldn't be contacting you.  It might be that they want to convince you that their research is a good fit or that they're trying to gauge if you're a good fit.  But obviously on paper they like what they see.  

My attitude would be one of information gathering and trying to put forth the best impression.  Ask about what you feel is important in a graduate program and try to figure out if its a good fit for you!  Try to be thoughtful in your responses to their questions.  

Good luck!

That sound like an interview to me, but I have no idea why he waited so long to do it.  Have you spoken to him previously?

Thanks a lot! He did explain why it took him longer to email me. I have not spoken to him previously. 

Has anyone heard from Texas A&M or Colorado State yet? It's getting pretty late....

I just received this response regarding my inquiry from Texas A&M: "we will be making admissions decisions on a rolling basis until May 31".

I just received this response regarding my inquiry from Texas A&M: "we will be making admissions decisions on a rolling basis until May 31".

God I hate that

Hello All,

It's coming to the end of this application cycle, and it looks like I will not be getting into grad school this time around. 

I would like to send an email to my top choice school to ask how I might make my application more competitive for the next application cycle, but I'm trying to decide if I should send it to the graduate coordinator for the department or to my POIs within the department. 

I figure that the POIs would have relevant things to say regarding what they're looking for in a student that I am currently lacking, though the graduate coordinators are probably the people with the greatest familiarity with my application. 

What would be proper etiquette in this situation?

It's still a bit early; wait until mid april before asking.

Sorry, perhaps I should have been clearer. 

I have been rejected from all of my choices besides one, which I will probably decline should I get in. It's not that I'm being a pessimist and haven't heard back from anyone; it's that I'm out for the season.

I have been rejected from all of my choices besides one, which I will probably decline should I get in. It's not that I'm being a pessimist and haven't heard back from anyone; it's that I'm out for the season.

Either way, wait until the admissions season is over for everyone. They are busy, and less likely to respond now.

Either way, wait until the admissions season is over for everyone. They are busy, and less likely to respond now.

Ah, ok. So, when I do end up asking, who should I ask? POIs or Grad coordinators?

I am living a limbo of decisions and I am thinking why some of my friends with less shining credentials can easily get admission! 

By reading so many application results, I can't find a uniform set of admission criteria. Some faculty look closely at research experience,reference letters and scientific papers, while others focus their attention on GRE and average undergraduate GPA!

One of the most illuminating facts admission results have shown to me is that "fitting" can make everything all right in the end! 

If you indeed find some professors who really match your interests, a rare match that every professor is waiting for, then the professor will run through the essential exception paperwork that will guarantee your admission.

----

Has anyone here approved the fact that "GRE subject" (which is not mandatory for many programs)  can largely affect admission committee's decision?

I had this long post typed up when I reread your post and saw the word SUBJECT.  I've never been told by anyone I asked about the process that a subject test could help.  But that doesn't mean it won't?  I basically have no idea.

I think fit and funding is everything. 

As for subject tests, I can't imagine they would help since GREs are generally used to thin the piles of applications.  I assume they do the same thing with a subject test.  I don't even get the need for a subject test.  Aren't your grades a fairly good example of how well you know your subject?  I guess grades could still be subjective, but so is that damn GRE. 

Social skils are also a big thing. People wanna accept people they like as people as much as they look good on paper. Having a fun lab is important. There are many factors. 

I think fit and funding is everything. 

As for subject tests, I can't imagine they would help since GREs are generally used to thin the piles of applications.  I assume they do the same thing with a subject test.  I don't even get the need for a subject test.  Aren't your grades a fairly good example of how well you know your subject?  I guess grades could still be subjective, but so is that damn GRE.

Actually the GRE subject tests are a really good indicator of how well you know a field. Some schools have easier classes than others and for large fields like chemistry and physics, the subject test is really helpful for puting everyone on the same playing field. They're tough! A good amount of atmospheric science programs encourage a chemistry subject test to help show you know your stuff. Unlike the general GRE, the subject tests are very useful.

It took a few emails, but I found out that ASU, Syracuse, and Minnesota are pretty low on funding this year, so those aren't going to work out for me. I'm still crossing my fingers for BC, but this Florida offer is looking better and better.

It took a few emails, but I found out that ASU, Syracuse, and Minnesota are pretty low on funding this year, so those aren't going to work out for me. I'm still crossing my fingers for BC, but this Florida offer is looking better and better.

hi ThisGuy, which graduate group did you apply to in UC Davis?

Blergh, still waiting.  In January I was offered a paid trip out to Utah State but my POI just vanished , and I have followed up a couple of times.  Hopefully I hear from my last 2 soon...

hi ThisGuy, which graduate group did you apply to in UC Davis?

I don't think I had to identify a group on my application. If you mean the specific program I was looking into, I applied to work with a couple tectonics professors. I know of at least one other person here who also got rejected. They indicated on my rejection that I really didn't have the grades so if you're still waiting, I'd say that's a good sign for you!

I haven't heard anything from BC either.

Actually the GRE subject tests are a really good indicator of how well you know a field. Some schools have easier classes than others and for large fields like chemistry and physics, the subject test is really helpful for puting everyone on the same playing field. They're tough! A good amount of atmospheric science programs encourage a chemistry subject test to help show you know your stuff. Unlike the general GRE, the subject tests are very useful.

That's good to know!

I didn't think the physics GRE was tough, but long. I didnt finish and scored an 820 on it (75%), which was a bit disappointing from my standpoint.  I thought the material on the exam was well below what was expected of me in most of my physics classes, and I came from a SLAC. If an applicant has stellar grades and their program does not require a subject test I think that applicant would be crazy to take it; It could only sink them. I think its a good idea for a fringe applicant to take it, and most applicants to PhD programs are; they have 3.2-3.6 GPAs (the upper end is good, but they arent solid 3.7-4.0). That's probably why its recommended. Furthermore, if a program isn’t used to evaluating the subject GRE ( which is often the case in earth sciences since there is no Geology GRE), it will be difficult for them to monitor what is a strong score: for example, a domestic student who scores 60%+ on the physics GRE is considered reasonably strong.  I don’t think its so cut and dry in the Earth sciences and I would defer to asking your POI if you should take such an exam.