2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Thought I’d chime in:

Accepted with funding to Stony Brook MS

Accepted without funding to Rutger’s MS

Rejected from UC Santa Cruz PhD

I did a shotgun approach during applications and I'm assuming at this point I'm waitlisted or rejected from the other schools. I doubt I made the big three Oceanography schools but I'm going to wait to hear from U of Houston and OSU for sure before accepting Stony Brook.

Undergrad Institution: University of South Florida
Major(s): Geology
GPA in Major: 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.3
Position in Class: Top 1/3rd?
Type of Student: m/w American

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 154/690
V: 164/670
W: 4.0

Research Experience: None

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: None

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Math tutor and TA.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: None

Special Bonus Points: Good rapport with geophysicists and structural geologist that wrote my recommendation letters.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Nontraditional student (mid 30’s.)

Applying to Where:

UC Santa Cruz – Geology – Marine Geology and Geophysics PhD

U Hawaii Manoa – Geology - Marine Geology and Geophysics PhD

OSU – Oceanography – Marine Geology and Geophysics PhD

Stony Brook – Oceanography - Marine Geology and Geophysics MS

Rutger’s – Geology - Marine Geology and Geophysics MS

University of Houston – Geology - Marine Geology and Geophysics MS

UC Santa Barbara – Oceanography - Marine Geology and Geophysics PhD

Columbia – Lamont-Doherty - Marine Geology and Geophysics PhD

MIT/WHOI – Oceanography - Marine Geology and Geophysics PhD

Old Dominion – Oceanography - Marine Geology and Geophysics MS

U of Miami – Oceanography - Marine Geology and Geophysics PhD

UCSD/SCRIPPS – Oceanography - Marine Geology and Geophysics PhD

U of Rhode Island – Oceanography - Marine Geology and Geophysics PhD

Texas A&M – Oceanography - Marine Geology and Geophysics PhD

U South Carolina Columbia – Oceanography - Marine Geology and Geophysics PhD

I got into University of Rhode Island today, oceanography (geophysics) but will decline since i've already accepted a spot elsewhere.

Edited by GeoDUDE!

The wait for Purdue (Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences) and UMD (Atmospheric & Oceanic Science) still continues. Guys, it's mid-March and is it safe to assume that I was not selected??

Anyone with admits or decisions from the above two kindly post. Any idea about the general time frame when these universities roll out admits for domestic and international students??

Maryland conducted visits and at least a first round of admits.  I have spoken with two people who attended their visitation weekend.

So this week is over...still no news...

Academic staff from U of Houston sent a common mail couple of days back to me and 137 other applicants. It states that applications are being reviewed and no decision has been made yet. They will notify as soon as they get.

Academic staff from U of Houston sent a common mail couple of days back to me and 137 other applicants. It states that applications are being reviewed and no decision has been made yet. They will notify as soon as they get.

Yeah, but how did you know the exact number of applicants?

The wait for Purdue (Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences) and UMD (Atmospheric & Oceanic Science) still continues. Guys, it's mid-March and is it safe to assume that I was not selected??

Anyone with admits or decisions from the above two kindly post. Any idea about the general time frame when these universities roll out admits for domestic and international students??

I am also waiting for UMD. Still no news!

Maryland conducted visits and at least a first round of admits.  I have spoken with two people who attended their visitation weekend.

Thank you for letting us know this piece of information. However, I am an International applicant, hence visitation would not be an option. Can you kindly share whether those two friends of yours were accepted?for MS or PhD??

Edited by ASG2014

Thanks for the congrats on Stony Brook. I've heard alot of good things and I'm heading for a visit on the 28th. Its a school where I never was able to get a PI to email me back so I'm interested to see how good it is for research fit.

I got the U of Houston email too, but I'm never sure how to take it when they say no decision has been made. It could just mean no paperwork made it to the graduate school, but all the offers have already been made.

I might just wait to see what URI says now that I know there's one opening still available. :)

Good luck to everyone that made it in and everyone still waiting.

Edited by Jansom

Thanks for the congrats on Stony Brook. I've heard alot of good things and I'm heading for a visit on the 28th. Its a school where I never was able to get a PI to email me back so I'm interested to see how good it is for research fit.

I got the U of Houston email too, but I'm never sure how to take it when they say no decision has been made. It could just mean no paperwork made it to the graduate school, but all the offers have already been made.

I might just wait to see what URI says now that I know there's one opening still available. :)

Good luck to everyone that made it in and everyone still waiting.

I haven't rejected it yet; I am waiting to see what my POI says about funding and projects. URI was one of my top choices originally but quickly fell. I can still switch as long as its before april 15th. but yes, I will probably(99.999999%) be declining it.

Edited by GeoDUDE!

A professor from OSU emailed me and asked if I was still interested in the program. If yes he could set up the time to talk to me about the program. I have not received this kind of email before. What do you make of that? Is that like an interview? What should my attitude be towards this? I apologize if these questions are dumb. I just do not know what to expect. Appreciate all your help!

A professor from OSU emailed me and asked if I was still interested in the program. If yes he could set up the time to talk to me about the program. I have not received this kind of email before. What do you make of that? Is that like an interview? What should my attitude be towards this? I apologize if these questions are dumb. I just do not know what to expect. Appreciate all your help!

That sound like an interview to me, but I have no idea why he waited so long to do it.  Have you spoken to him previously?

Well they're obviously interested in you or else they wouldn't be contacting you.  It might be that they want to convince you that their research is a good fit or that they're trying to gauge if you're a good fit.  But obviously on paper they like what they see.  

My attitude would be one of information gathering and trying to put forth the best impression.  Ask about what you feel is important in a graduate program and try to figure out if its a good fit for you!  Try to be thoughtful in your responses to their questions.  

Good luck!