2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Thank you for your support :)

Well, most recent developments in atmospheric science are supported by the available remotely sensed measurements. The role of someone who is familiar with signal/image processing, atmospheric artifacts estimation and physics of electromagnetic radiations can’t be ignored. Many of the scientific papers in Journal of Climate, Bulletin of American meteorological society, Journal of atmospheric and oceanic technology and so forth are purely in the field of remote sensing.I cannot find any placard which "No country for old Engineers" is written on, in atmosphere departments. However, it is undeniable that physicists, mathematicians or chemists have greater chance for this field.

I think thats right. I think engineers can get through the mathematical rigor of an atmosphereic science degree ( I mean, you at least have to take linear alegebra / calc 3, and probably go up to PDEs.) I'm sure you will find a good home.

Which program did you apply for? I contacted with the graduate coordinator and she replied that The Graduate Committee are reviewing but no decisions have been made.

----

I got the first rejection from the worst and safest choice: Huntsville Alabama- PhD in atmospheric science. Very soon after the reception of documents; the  department  chair  has  noted  that  I  lack  Math  and  Physics background.  It is too strange for me, since I passed many courses related to both of them. I also passed the prerequisite courses mentioned on their website. What did they expect from an engineer? having knowledge of quantum mechanics? It would have been lesser insulting, if he had told me that I lack strong math and physics background! :)

Do you have four semesters of Calc/DE?  A couple of calc based physics?  That is pretty much what you need.  

Also, if I remember you applied to Houston.  I think Huntsville is actually a decent program and Houston really is your safety school.

I'll say this, most people at the A&M visitation weekend last week were straight atmospheric scientists.  There was a physicist but I was the lone applicant without an AS/meteorology undergrad or a physics background.

Edited by CC2014

Let me show the most related courses to physics and math that I passed:

In Bsc: Calculus I, II, Physics I,II and their lab, Differential Equation, EDM (electromagnetic distance measurement), theory of errors, Differential geometry, adjustment and test, Engineering mathmetics (PDE!) and physical geodesy.
In Msc: Approximation theory and time series (Fourier,wavelet), microwave systems and physics of remote sensing.

---

I am reading some books like Atmospheric physics and chemistry by John Seinfeld and fundamental of atmospheric modeling by Jacobson and actually I do not have difficulty with understanding them. Maybe atmospheric scientists (or generally people of science colleges) are reluctant to see an engineer in their department?!

---

Yes CC2014, Houston is also a safe choice that's why the POI told me to apply for even this Spring semester!

I am really depressed that the most relevant programs related to Remote sensing are in Geography departments. You cannot imagine how much hard is for me to study in geography program because there is no strong connection between them. I found only Germany, Canada and Netherlands that thoroughly work on remote sensing field.

---

Thank you any way :)

Which program did you apply for? I contacted with the graduate coordinator and she replied that The Graduate Committee are reviewing but no decisions have been made.

----

I got the first rejection from the worst and safest choice: Huntsville Alabama- PhD in atmospheric science. Very soon after the reception of documents; the  department  chair  has  noted  that  I  lack  Math  and  Physics background.  It is too strange for me, since I passed many courses related to both of them. I also passed the prerequisite courses mentioned on their website. What did they expect from an engineer? having knowledge of quantum mechanics? It would have been lesser insulting, if he had told me that I lack strong math and physics background! :)

I applied for the geology one. yes my POI also tells me that the committee are reviewing the applications. 

Let me show the most related courses to physics and math that I passed:

In Bsc: Calculus I, II, Physics I,II and their lab, Differential Equation, EDM (electromagnetic distance measurement), theory of errors, Differential geometry, adjustment and test, Engineering mathmetics (PDE!) and physical geodesy.

In Msc: Approximation theory and time series (Fourier,wavelet), microwave systems and physics of remote sensing.

---

I am reading some books like Atmospheric physics and chemistry by John Seinfeld and fundamental of atmospheric modeling by Jacobson and actually I do not have difficulty with understanding them. Maybe atmospheric scientists (or generally people of science colleges) are reluctant to see an engineer in their department?!

---

Yes CC2014, Houston is also a safe choice that's why the POI told me to apply for even this Spring semester!

I am really depressed that the most relevant programs related to Remote sensing are in Geography departments. You cannot imagine how much hard is for me to study in geography program because there is no strong connection between them. I found only Germany, Canada and Netherlands that thoroughly work on remote sensing field.

---

Thank you any way :)

All I can think of is they didn't see a Calc III course but you had DE courses so i don't know.  I'd imagine a lot of the other stuff might be good for some professors but not others.

I can imagine that, however.  I have a geography minor and I don't think anyone cares about my GIS/Remote Sensing background.  It seems to me that you have to get into Atmospheric Sciences and THEN explore remote sensing as opposed to appearing attractive with a RS background.  Its tough.

I wish you good luck on the rest of your applications!

----

I got the first rejection from the worst and safest choice: Huntsville Alabama- PhD in atmospheric science. Very soon after the reception of documents; the department chair has noted that I lack Math and Physics background. It is too strange for me, since I passed many courses related to both of them. I also passed the prerequisite courses mentioned on their website. What did they expect from an engineer? having knowledge of quantum mechanics? It would have been lesser insulting, if he had told me that I lack strong math and physics background! :)

I majored in environmental science, but had to modify my degree a bit to fit the requirements for graduate school. The department only requires basic physics, but I took the calculus based one. All my core and elective classes were chemistry based (e.g. Atmospheric geochemistry) or just chemistry or chemical engineering classes. Then because I wanted to make sure I was hitting ALL requirements, I also minored in chemistry and took 2 thermo classes, quantum chemistry, fluids, and overlapped 2. Admission committees are so picky about their requirements and since I have a crappy overall gpa from freshman year, I really wanted to show I was prepared. They accept people from various backgrounds so if you're not completely on par with all their requirements, that doesn't mean you won't get accepted anywhere. At least that's what I've been telling myself lol.

Linear algebra looks to be the biggest deficiency; If you are on the physical side of things, its pretty hard to teach someone any type of physics without a linear algebra class. People tend to even want you to have taken an advanced treatment of calculus (proving calc 3 theorems using linear algebra, similar to real analysis).

Its sad to say, but not having linear algebra as an atmospheric scientist might be possibly the worst possible thing to have missing, How could you have really done PDE without it?

That being said, I still think your background would qualify as a strong math background, relative to geology and even chemistry majors. It's a bit weird. My feeling is that you actually  just forgot to put linear algebra on the list, because some of your classes would have required it at my school, in which case they really don't have a valid argument to chastise your math background. 

Well, made my decision.  I'm going to Texas A&M.  Still haven't heard back from Scripps, but the trip to A&M was pretty amazing and I felt very good within the department.  My trip to Utah was also amazing and their department really really impressed me but Texas is home and the opportunity to move back home was too much to pass up.

Feels good to be past this point in the process!

Well, made my decision.  I'm going to Texas A&M.  Still haven't heard back from Scripps, but the trip to A&M was pretty amazing and I felt very good within the department.  My trip to Utah was also amazing and their department really really impressed me but Texas is home and the opportunity to move back home was too much to pass up.

Feels good to be past this point in the process!

Thats awesome!! Congrats!!

I majored in environmental science, but had to modify my degree a bit to fit the requirements for graduate school. The department only requires basic physics, but I took the calculus based one. All my core and elective classes were chemistry based (e.g. Atmospheric geochemistry) or just chemistry or chemical engineering classes. Then because I wanted to make sure I was hitting ALL requirements, I also minored in chemistry and took 2 thermo classes, quantum chemistry, fluids, and overlapped 2. Admission committees are so picky about their requirements and since I have a crappy overall gpa from freshman year, I really wanted to show I was prepared. They accept people from various backgrounds so if you're not completely on par with all their requirements, that doesn't mean you won't get accepted anywhere. At least that's what I've been telling myself lol.

I had a lot of difficulty with requirements.  Some schools want 2 semesters of chemistry.  Some want 2 semesters of physics.  Some want 2 semester of calc.  Some want 4 semesters of calc.  So on and so forth.  I think Geography departments are so interdisciplinary that is really hard to have your qualifications from one school match with what others schools are looking for. 

I'm surprised that Remote Sensing departments are so hard to find. 

And Souri, did you by chance contact the department after receiving the rejection.  There is always the slim chance that they mixed your records with someone elses. 

The main problem with atmospheric science is that it tends to cover many subjects extensively, while the vast majority of engineering majors focuses their attention on specific subjects. You barely can find these messages in non-atmospheric science departments:

"the department requires a Bachelors or higher degree in meteorology, oceanography, physics, chemistry, mathematics, biology, engineering or other program with suitable emphasis in the sciences." or " We welcome applications from those with no background in atmospheric sciences. " or "Atmospheric science students come from a variety of backgrounds including mathematics, physics, chemistry, computer science, and engineering, as well as traditional meteorology." or “The department recommends that interested students obtain an undergraduate degree in physics, mathematics, engineering, chemistry, meteorology, or one of the physical sciences.”

Well, that is not a sad story; it means they have a broad spectrum of researches supervised by very dedicated professors having knowledge of this vast area.

BUT, when they come to choose whether students are eligible for their program, do they know about the details of their courses? Do they know someone who passed at least four photogrammetry courses, has a great knowledge of linear algebra? Do they know how hard mathematical engineering is?

Is my expectation too high? Two days after I noticed my documents had been forwarded to the department, I got a rejection. I am sure they did not carefully read my transcripts.

I’ve just heard from a student in UH that my POI is looking for the financial support for me. I hope everything goes well with your applications and mine!

Amir

Edited by Souri_RS

The main problem with atmospheric science is that it tends to cover many subjects extensively, while the vast majority of engineering majors focuses their attention on specific subjects. You barely can find these messages in non-atmospheric science departments:

"the department requires a Bachelors or higher degree in meteorology, oceanography, physics, chemistry, mathematics, biology, engineering or other program with suitable emphasis in the sciences." or " We welcome applications from those with no background in atmospheric sciences. " or "Atmospheric science students come from a variety of backgrounds including mathematics, physics, chemistry, computer science, and engineering, as well as traditional meteorology." or “The department recommends that interested students obtain an undergraduate degree in physics, mathematics, engineering, chemistry, meteorology, or one of the physical sciences.”

Well, that is not a sad story; it means they have a broad spectrum of researches supervised by very dedicated professors having knowledge of this vast area.

BUT, when they come to choose whether students are eligible for their program, do they know about the details of their courses? Do they know someone who passed at least four photogrammetry courses, has a great knowledge of linear algebra? Do they know how hard mathematical engineering is?

Is my expectation too high? Two days after I noticed my documents had been forwarded to the department, I got a rejection. I am sure they did not carefully read my transcripts.

I’ve just heard from a student in UH that my POI is looking for the financial support for me. I hope everything goes well with your applications and mine!

Amir

It could have also been that your POI at the school you were rejected from already had someone in mind for the position, and they just needed an excuse to reject you without being truthful. Which in my mind is super unethical: people should always tell the truth.

Anyone heard anything from Oregon State University or Rutgers? It's mid-March and my level of anxiety slowly climbs to the the top...

"I do have some information though I don't know how helpful it will be for you at this time. We have made our first round offers. These applicants have until April 15 to either accept or decline the offer. We have a pool of applicants in reserve to fill any spots open from first round declines. That is where your application is at the moment...kind of like being in limbo.

Our advice to those in this situation is to carefully consider any offers you may get before we get back to you. If you get a great offer, you may wish to accept it as we cannot guarantee anything at this point. Let me know if I can answer any other questions or if you wish to ask again later, please do."  

That was from the admin at the College of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences.

On a positive note, it looks like I've been offered full funding at UNR.

Edited by anthony333

That seems fairly honest.

Congrats on the offer by the way! Do you know what you are going to do? Wait it out?

I'm going to wait as long as I can, but I just really want to make a decision...and it is not an easy one.  I've been accepted to UNR with funding, UBC Okanagan with funding, waitlisted at Oregon State, and rejected at SUNY ESF.  

Found out I was admitted to the Earth Sciences dept at Montana State yesterday. Admitted for MS in geology with funding. Still waiting on University of Vermont and Colo State. Has anyone heard from CSU at this point?

Anybody have any tips for open houses? I got my interview schedule for Scripps and its packed with a bunch of professors, some of whom don't even do research related to my interests or future work. Are these meetings more informal like a get-to-know you type of thing? Seeing all these faculty I'll be sitting with for 45 minutes even though I know nothing about their research is intimidating!

Anybody have any tips for open houses? I got my interview schedule for Scripps and its packed with a bunch of professors, some of whom don't even do research related to my interests or future work. Are these meetings more informal like a get-to-know you type of thing? Seeing all these faculty I'll be sitting with for 45 minutes even though I know nothing about their research is intimidating!

So, when I visited A&M I had a day jam packed with professor meetings.  Sometimes they'd ask me about my research (I would suggest you be able to articulate what you've done fairly well) and sometimes they'd let me lead with questions.  Most of the time, it was just a discussion about research although sometimes we talked a bit more about certain aspects of grad school there.  It was fairly informal.  I would suggest having some questions ready to go in case they ask you (generally things about the graduate program) or even just ask for advice.  I find it very easy to talk to researchers doing interesting work so that helped me.

Don't do anything rude like use a cell phone around them (one guy we visited with did this in a group meeting with a professor - it drove ME nuts so I'm sure it drove the researcher nuts) or act distracted or bored.  Just basic things you probably already know.  It was actually fun.  I enjoy talking to people about their research even if its not what I directly want to do because its usually interesting.

I was told that these meetings can have influence on who gets fellowships further on down the road.  So even with an offer I think its still important to make a good impression.

Edited by CC2014

So, when I visited A&M I had a day jam packed with professor meetings.  Sometimes they'd ask me about my research (I would suggest you be able to articulate what you've done fairly well) and sometimes they'd let me lead with questions.  Most of the time, it was just a discussion about research although sometimes we talked a bit more about certain aspects of grad school there.  It was fairly informal.  I would suggest having some questions ready to go in case they ask you (generally things about the graduate program) or even just ask for advice.  I find it very easy to talk to researchers doing interesting work so that helped me.

Don't do anything rude like use a cell phone around them (one guy we visited with did this in a group meeting with a professor - it drove ME nuts so I'm sure it drove the researcher nuts) or act distracted or bored.  Just basic things you probably already know.  It was actually fun.  I enjoy talking to people about their research even if its not what I directly want to do because its usually interesting.

I was told that these meetings can have influence on who gets fellowships further on down the road.  So even with an offer I think its still important to make a good impression.

Thanks, it seems pretty straightforward from your description. It seems a bit overwhelming because there are two full days of activities and interviews, but I'm sure it will all go well. I definitely wasn't planning on using my phone (can't believe someone did that) but its always something to keep in mind. I guess I was more worried if I was supposed to have specific questions related to their research (not including my advisor who would naturally expect that), but it doesn't seem like it would be the case. My research interests are in paleoceanography/paleoclimate so I doubt they'd expect me to review the research of the volcanologist I'm meeting with, for example, haha!

Thank you for the tips CC2014. Congrats on A&M, it's an awesome place. 

Found out I was admitted to the Earth Sciences dept at Montana State yesterday. Admitted for MS in geology with funding. Still waiting on University of Vermont and Colo State. Has anyone heard from CSU at this point?

Congrats! I also haven't heard back from CSU....my potential adviser said something about April 1 though.

"I do have some information though I don't know how helpful it will be for you at this time. We have made our first round offers. These applicants have until April 15 to either accept or decline the offer. We have a pool of applicants in reserve to fill any spots open from first round declines. That is where your application is at the moment...kind of like being in limbo.

Our advice to those in this situation is to carefully consider any offers you may get before we get back to you. If you get a great offer, you may wish to accept it as we cannot guarantee anything at this point. Let me know if I can answer any other questions or if you wish to ask again later, please do."  

That was from the admin at the College of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences.

On a positive note, it looks like I've been offered full funding at UNR.

Thank you so very much! Congrats on the offer!