Written Warning Issue on My Student Conduct Record

ShadowFairy

A while ago during April 2013, I made a grave judgment in error that has periodically come back to haunt me ever since.

I was caught shoplifting some school supplies (one eraser pen and a pack of erasers) from my university bookstore. Initially I had also considered to take a pair of headphones, but I decided in the end that overall none of the items were worth shoplifting. I was deeply contemplating whether or not to take them, and by the time I had decided not to, I wanted to quickly leave the bookstore as soon as possible, but guess what? I forgot to put back the erasers! A surveillance monitor caught me as I left the bookstore and thus apprehended me. I confessed to him how I come from a poor family that's so tight about money and why I partially did it; in addition he made me confess various petty things I stole over a past period from the bookstore (minor school supplies, once again). I felt sick over the entire situation, showed my sincere guilt and shame over it, and learned from it since then, but with my ambitions to go to grad school it's been eating me away. My question is, how badly will it ruin my chances to a good graduate school (e.g. Princeton, Yale, UC Berkeley)?

For the sake of a brief background, that same day I was in a terrible mood and losing my eraser (I tend to be nitpicky about these things) put me over the edge. My judgment was clouded by my anger and I didn't think it worth to spend $3 for an eraser, but the entire fiasco cost me a $200 fine anyway.

The guard told me it stays only within the confines of the bookstore records, but I know for a fact that it is also on my student conduct record so any third-party to which I give consent to can ask to see it. I wasn't arrested or anything so I don't have to list it under felony and crimes. Of course, it's not on my official transcript either. First-time written warning, had to write a reflective essay and attend an ethics class.

I think my credentials have been moderate thus far for a competitive engineering Ph.D graduate program. I am a Mechanical Engineering major, 3.8 GPA with research experience, member of two honor societies and one professional engineering organization.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thank you!

What exactly is a "student conduct record"? Will it appear on any standard record your school would send another school or anything like that? Was there a formal disciplinary procedure brought against you?

One application I did asked me the following question:

Have you ever been disciplined for your conduct (academic or otherwise) while enrolled in college or university?

So, the question is how would you answer that? 

Ask an academic advisor at school and get some official answers. You might be wasting your mental energy and worrying for nothing if the universities aren't going to find out about this incident. If they are, you can ask your advisor at school about what might be the best way to handle it, as your advisor may have had other students in the past in the same situation.

What exactly is a "student conduct record"? Will it appear on any standard record your school would send another school or anything like that? Was there a formal disciplinary procedure brought against you?

One application I did asked me the following question:

Have you ever been disciplined for your conduct (academic or otherwise) while enrolled in college or university?

So, the question is how would you answer that? 

My university maintains various types of record on a student, which can be academic, medical, disciplinary, etc.

I suppose this was my formal disciplinary procedure: I had to pay a fine, write an essay reflecting upon my actions, and attend an ethics class which we were to discuss proper student conduct and integrity. After that I was done.

I would have to answer the question with a yes. However, the surveillance guard said that I would never have to report it when applying for jobs or grad school, however when I looked at my student record the written warning by the guard was there. That's why I've been freaking out and deeply regret my stupid stupid actions. Everyone makes mistakes in life, some bigger than others.

The written warning is not part of my academic or probation or convicted record. It doesn't appear on my transcript, and only third-parties who have my permission can do access it and view it. It remains confidential otherwise.

Ask an academic advisor at school and get some official answers. You might be wasting your mental energy and worrying for nothing if the universities aren't going to find out about this incident. If they are, you can ask your advisor at school about what might be the best way to handle it, as your advisor may have had other students in the past in the same situation.

That sounds like a good idea! But what I'm worried about is how inquiring grad schools will be when they ask about disciplinary action or misdemeanor accounts, especially when apps can vary among the top ones. This was my first-time and (and I will guarantee) only offense, how badly will grad schools take to this? I'm not trying to downplay the crime when I say it was just minor school supplies (and initial intent to steal $30 headphones that day), but I've reformed since that incident and am acutally glad I was caught (who knows how far the temptation might gone?!). I think myself glad it wasn't at a local store or something, things could've been much more serious.

Edited by RideTheLightning469

Honestly, i wouldn't stress about it too much. Almost all graduate schools would only want to see your academic record. And, since you seem to have taken a positive from the experience, if all else fails i'm sure your explanation will be compelling if you have to disclose.

The only thing that's slightly worrying is that you claim it was your first and only offense, but above you stated that you had previously lifted some things...is that in the write-up? 

Honestly, i wouldn't stress about it too much. Almost all graduate schools would only want to see your academic record. And, since you seem to have taken a positive from the experience, if all else fails i'm sure your explanation will be compelling if you have to disclose.

The only thing that's slightly worrying is that you claim it was your first and only offense, but above you stated that you had previously lifted some things...is that in the write-up? 

Yes, it is. I wanted to come clean with everything and confessed to all of my wrongdoings. Again, they were very minor things like erasers, lead, and a notebook (not sure if this counts as minor). I figured it if I wanted to repent and start with a morally clean slate, then I might as well ensure that I would face the proper repercussions that came with my theft and misconduct. I was feeling remorseful at the time, but thankfully the guard didn't press any further charges against me.

I do stress about it from time to time, whenever I reflect back upon my actions at the time. It reassures me a little to know that grad schools would only want to see my academic record, but at the same time I am ready to take responsibility and explain my actions. Although I'm not sure if the scare will ever come out of my guilty conscience.

I seriously do not think this will be a problem at all.  Most schools ask if you have ever been dismissed from an academic program but they don't ask about your disciplinary record, and disciplinary records (at least at most U.S. institutions) are kept separately from academic records.  So when they request your transcript 9 times out of 10 they won't even see this.

IMO, the OP presents two issues of concern: the acts of theft and the rationalization that has followed.

In regards to the former, I recommend that you eschew generalizations and scuttle butt about what some or most institutions do. Graduate programs are black boxes into which only tenured professors and seasoned administrators get a clear view. That is, what may be "no big deal" to those not in the know can be a serious concern to a department that has had enough scandal.

I suggest that you instead spend several hours researching the codes of conduct for each program to which you will apply. Cast a wide enough net so that you understand all the codes that might apply to you. You might find that your past is not such a terrible concern as a student, but as an employee (i.e. a TA or RA) you might be subject to a different type of background check. Also note the language and detail with which codes of content are written. Some schools may have slapdash policies that have been boiler plated together. Other schools' policies may read like the U.S. Code. When you have had enough time to digest the information, then develop a plan for each school to which you will apply.

In regards to the second issue, I urge you to read and reread the OP until you see the numerous tensions and inconsistencies in your narrative.

(Where I am going with this second point is that as written, you come across as some one who regrets getting caught more than one who regrets the crime.)

IMO, the OP presents two issues of concern: the acts of theft and the rationalization that has followed.

In regards to the former, I recommend that you eschew generalizations and scuttle butt about what some or most institutions do. Graduate programs are black boxes into which only tenured professors and seasoned administrators get a clear view. That is, what may be "no big deal" to those not in the know can be a serious concern to a department that has had enough scandal.

I suggest that you instead spend several hours researching the codes of conduct for each program to which you will apply. Cast a wide enough net so that you understand all the codes that might apply to you. You might find that your past is not such a terrible concern as a student, but as an employee (i.e. a TA or RA) you might be subject to a different type of background check. Also note the language and detail with which codes of content are written. Some schools may have slapdash policies that have been boiler plated together. Other schools' policies may read like the U.S. Code. When you have had enough time to digest the information, then develop a plan for each school to which you will apply.

In regards to the second issue, I urge you to read and reread the OP until you see the numerous tensions and inconsistencies in your narrative.

(Where I am going with this second point is that as written, you come across as some one who regrets getting caught more than one who regrets the crime.)

Thank you, I will certainly investigate the codes of conduct for each graduate program I will apply.

What do you mean by 'slapdash policies that have been boiler plated together'? Do you suggest that these kinds of policies have been pieced together from different sources and thus can run contradictory with the whole of its statement and purpose?

----------------

I do see your second point, and how I may have come off a little more concerned with my future credentials than for my morals and ethics as a consequence of committing the crime. Tbh, I do regret both cases, in getting reprimanded because if only I had put back all the inventory I initially had a mind to take, and the act/temptation itself. I felt weak and mad at myself for getting myself in this imbroglio in the first place. I certainly do regret committing the crime, and getting caught has enlightened my sense a little more to the moral and justice values of our law-abiding society and as a citizen. I have been trying to alleviate my temper issues lately, by practicing good stress-relieving techniques as well as being more manageable with my money so that I can allow myself to afford these things.

Sigaba brings up good points. We're not all-knowing administrators. We also do not know for certain whether the profs on the admissions committee will care about this incident or not. But I think it's reasonable to put trust in privacy policies at our educational institutions. For example, I think it is reasonable to believe that your own school will not officially disclose this incident to anyone else without your permission. So if you don't bring it up, it will likely not ever be known. 

It's possible (but I think not probable) that a serious background check might turn up the information. Maybe someone on the admissions committee knows someone who works at your school and just mentions your name, and for some reason that person remembers this incident and tells them in an non-official manner. In my opinion, this would be a serious breach of ethics on the part of the admissions committee member (either asking for the info or using that info/sharing it with others), and (also in my opinion) much more serious than your own actions.

So, in your shoes, I would just never speak of the incident ever again unless asked directly. I believe that the chances of someone finding out without you telling them is extremely low and I would not worry about it. I also believe that chance that someone asking you directly about non-academic misdemeanors on an application or admissions interview is pretty low.

Finally, you should check with your school about what happens to the record after you graduate. At my previous school, they were very careful to separate employment (as a TA/RA) and academic records/files. So, if you were e.g. consistently late for your TA sessions, that would be an employment disciplinary action that goes on your employment record, not your academic record. If I did such a thing, that information would not be forwarded to any graduate schools I applied to afterwards. Also, the policy that the school was to destroy all employment records 12 months after the last time the student was employed. There may be a similar expiry date on your records too, so it might be worth an inquiry!

@RTL469,

I mean that some schools may have had more reasons to develop comprehensive and well articulated codes of conduct than other schools.

Were I in your situation, I would be more concerned with schools that have codes of conduct that read like lawyers wrote them.

As for Cage's point, if you take a DADT approach, read all the fine print thrice. In this day and age, people get into trouble not for what they did, but for the denials that follow.