GRE--Fear

sg1050

I have to take the GRE as most graduate bound students do, but I  am stricken with fear. I am absolutely afraid I will do horrible on the GRE, I'm so afraid to the point where I honestly believe when I take it and do horrible I won't get into any graduate programs. I studied over the summer but stopped for a while and now I take it this Saturday. Any advice to calm the nerves? Also, what is a bad score?!

Well, practice tests give you a pretty good estimate of where you are at. Depending on your results, you may or may not have a reason to worry.

Beyond that, just relax and only worry about what you can control. Do your best to fine-tune this week, and go in there with a confident attitude and give it all you got.

The GRE is only part of you application, applications are only part of grad school, and grad school is only PART of life.  Relax

SP30

Assuming you have a December 15 deadline for applications, you have time. Take the exam this Saturday knowing that you do have time to retake if needed. While that does not mean you shouldn't do your best, do know that it is OK if the score is not yet what you would like. At the minimum, this exam will give you additional practice for a second try.

Have you taken a practice exam yet? If so, what was your score? It's hard to say what a "bad" score is, especially since I don't know your field or the schools you are applying to.

What I did to eliminate the fear (since I had the same issue!) was to go ahead and sign up for two GRE dates, the second one two weeks after the first.  Yeah, it cost more money, but it was worth it because I got really good scores both times - the first time, partly because I knew I had a second chance, and the second time I did even better, partly because I knew I already had a good enough score as it was.  :)  Just something to consider, if you have the funds.

I'm in the same boat. I've been fearing the test as well since Saturday after I received abysmal scores from ETS Powerprep. Scores were completely different from what Manhattan gave me.

Gellert, I figure I'll have to retake anyway so I'm going to sign up again this week for another test so I can study and perform more practice problems.

I'm plan on going to grad school to get my MA in English/Comp-Rhetoric so most of the schools I've looked into only look at my verbal score. The first time I took a practice GRE was earlier this summer (In June when I first heard of the GRE). My verbal was a 142. I have studied but not as much as I wanted. I'm still really nervous and know that my score is low. I was hoping to know what a "decent" verbal might be?

What's the worst that could happen?

Seriously, answer that question. Don't be vague - really, what's the worst that could happen?

Type out the thoughts in your head and you'll notice several of them are completely irrational. Then consider the more rational ones - they probably aren't nearly as bad as your anxiety is making them out to be. If X happen, what can you do..? Can you prepare for that possibility? Does it make sense to do so, or to wait and see?

You have to be pragmatic. If you "fail" this test, since it's only part of your application, how can you boost the other areas? Don't tell me you've never walked into a test in udnergrad and knew you were going to fail it - but that was "ok" because you wrote a good term people and did enough homework that you were still going to pass the class. Balance things.

You'll be fine.

You might be nervous because you stopped studying for a while.  If I were you, I'd pay the fee to change the test date if you still can and take it when your more prepared.

You should study up until the test date.  There's always time to study...I use a flash card app on my smart phone and study that while I'm on the elliptical machine at the gym...I've learned countless new vocabulary words that way.

Consider an online GRE test prep membership.  There are a few that are under 100 bucks/year and provide video explanations for each problem.  I found this to be more helpful than textbooks.  

Edited by hedong123

Honestly, the GRE makes me feel stupid.

I had been scoring 162, 162, 160 on Verbal (Manhattan practice tests).

I just took the PowerPrep practice test this evening and got 158...

...and now I just think....

Darn.

Edited by antigone56

Honestly, the GRE makes me feel stupid.

I had been scoring 162, 162, 160 on Verbal (Manhattan practice tests).

I just took the PowerPrep practice test this evening and got 158...

...and now I just think....

Darn.

Don't worry too much about it. I did several points better on the actual GRE than on the practice.

I felt the same way before I took my GRE- I seriously had nightmares! 

Just tell yourself, the worst that can happen is that you do badly. Then what? Well you can always retake it (assuming you have time). But also, remember that the GRE is a small part of your application!! The other parts are much more important! 

a 142 isn't the best score.. but that was your first time taking a practice test right? Take as many as you can and you'll see your score improve! You have to get used to taking this sort of test. Also, what practice books are you using? I'd recommend the Manhattan series. Also if you're really worried, consider getting a tutor/classes (if you like online classes, check out Magoosh!). 

Lastly, for verbal, memorize as many words as you can. There are loads of websites devoted to GRE vocab. Practice everyday and practice early! 

GOOD LUCK! You can do this!!!! 

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I'm plan on going to grad school to get my MA in English/Comp-Rhetoric so most of the schools I've looked into only look at my verbal score. The first time I took a practice GRE was earlier this summer (In June when I first heard of the GRE). My verbal was a 142. I have studied but not as much as I wanted. I'm still really nervous and know that my score is low. I was hoping to know what a "decent" verbal might be?

Not to sound rude but that's a pretty awful score for an English major. That's what non-Americans majoring in math or physics would score. I doubt you'll get into any respectable program with that score. Real talk.

I felt the same way before I took my GRE- I seriously had nightmares! 

Just tell yourself, the worst that can happen is that you do badly. Then what? Well you can always retake it (assuming you have time). But also, remember that the GRE is a small part of your application!! The other parts are much more important! 

a 142 isn't the best score.. but that was your first time taking a practice test right? Take as many as you can and you'll see your score improve! You have to get used to taking this sort of test. Also, what practice books are you using? I'd recommend the Manhattan series. Also if you're really worried, consider getting a tutor/classes (if you like online classes, check out Magoosh!). 

Lastly, for verbal, memorize as many words as you can. There are loads of websites devoted to GRE vocab. Practice everyday and practice early! 

GOOD LUCK! You can do this!!!! 

Hello. My test is in two days. I had been using Manhattan's books along with Magoosh. I spent months studying. Eventually I obtained a Q score of 155. Then a 157 a few weeks ago in Manhattan's practice test. Recently, however, I obtained a score of 146 on ETS' Powerprep practice test. I then did problems in ETS' Official Guide handbook and performed poorly in the Quant section, despite Magoosh placing my range between 155 and 160. Yes, I can take it again and will in a month, but this last week has frightened me in regards to Quant performance. Confidence brought down by a bad practice score heading into the test. I don't want to take it again. The attempt in two days will be the third time I take the GRE. If I take it again, that will be my fourth attempt, and so on for any possibly future attempts. But, I don't think I can take it more than once this year. This has been a truly enervating experience. I would have to take a break of a few years before I take the test again. And my Magoosh account ends sometime in November. Would rather just take the score I have and focus instead on my research experience. Luckily, I'm not applying to Ph.D programs, but I wanted a high score to ensure I never have to take it again for the rest of my life. Oh well.

"Plans are fragile things." - Kreia

For those who are interested, I am seeking a Master's in Psychology for Social Psych programs.

The best way to banish fear is to get familiar with the test, so that it feels old hat to you when you walk into the testing room.  Download the PowerPREP program from the GRE website; it has two practice tests on there.  Take one as a diagnostic, and see where you stand.  That will let you know how much studying you need to do and in which sections.  From there, you can buy a prep book (they're typically about $30, and you can find them on Amazon; personally, I prefer Barron's and Princeton Review).

A 142 verbal is in the 15th percentile.  I think if you are hoping for an MA in English, you should aim for at least a 60th percentile score (the closest is a 154, which is the 62nd percentile).  Getting into the 160s, where the 85th percentile is, would be better of course - but I think with a strong application you still stand good chances around the 60th percentile.

I'm not going to go out on a limb and say that you won't get into any respectable programs, as some programs are GRE-optional and some put less weight on your GRE than other factors, like a writing sample or recommendations.

I scored a 149 V and 139 Q last Fall, didn't get accepted anywhere. Of course, these scores are just too low to be acceptable at the grad level. I only had 3 weeks to study, so I was pretty much doomed on test day.

I'm just guessing here, but I would think that scoring in the 60-70 percentile range will keep you safe. Just focus on making the rest of your application really strong. 

Take the practice tests, this will show you which areas you need to focus on. Don't spend all of your time trying to cover all of the bases.

For example, if you are decent at algebra but dismal at geometry, don't spend 30 hours studying an entire math book. Just focus on the geometry. I made the mistake of trying to learn everything all at once last year, big mistake. 

Also, make sure to know your vocabulary. The reading comprehension has the answers in front of you. You just have to skim through the paragraphs to find them. However, on the vocab questions, if you don't know the words, you have very little chance of getting the questions correct. 

GOOD LUCK!!!