Rhetoric/Composition 2014 hopefuls

Also, speaking of the WPA listserv, which I just learned about in this convo, what other rhet/comp themed list servs are out there, waiting for me to join?

I recently joined the Disability Studies in the Humanities listserv, and I love hearing about what's going on in DS in other departments. 

If you are anxious about not having read enough material, was posted here last year; I've kept in bookmarked. I also asked my main point of contact for a reading list before the semester started, and she sent me a small rhet/comp starter kit. 

Thank you so much! At this rate, it might be better if I'm not accepted during this app season. I'll have a whole year to learn about Real Life during the day and disappear into theory at night.

I'd rather not have to learn about Real Life at all, of course.

Winter needs to end... I need fresh air.

This whole process is backwards - come on it's miserable outside right now.
If it were summer I'd be out kayaking. Or BBQ. Or pool parties.

oh man. I could be doing soooo many fun things while waiting to hear back - instead I shovel snow. Dry my boots. lay on the chapstick. and suffer.

Ya know - I understand that this is a difficult game to play for both parties... but I don't get the release in batch and no waiting list thing.

I've read before (perhaps from C.B.ZN) about waitlist stigma and I dunno. If you're notified in April I think you can take a good guess. Sure there are folks that will find out mid-march and never really "know" for sure.

If I'm waitlisted such is life. No knock on me as a person. No knock on me as a scholar.. its a difficult game to play.

I'm forgetting something...

Thanks BTAC.

This process is so crazy. I thought I'd be happier about Purdue, but I can only keep thinking about the three waitlists I'm on. Weird, right?

Hahah. Thankfully when I was denied from UT Austin I purged the thought of the place out of my mind. Not once have I thought what coulda shoulda been.

I won't have that option with Purdue for some time now. Unless I get outright denies - and hey, that's possible... I'm coming from a school and program that doesn't send many people out to grad school. Sooo my folks are a little dated when it comes to evaluting profiles and potential. 

I felt really good about Purdue's MA until a prof of mine started talking about how exclusive their program was and how difficult it was to get into and what not. 

We shall see! I still feel good about Louisville but my confidence is slipping.

Hahah. Thankfully when I was denied from UT Austin I purged the thought of the place out of my mind. Not once have I thought what coulda shoulda been.

I won't have that option with Purdue for some time now. Unless I get outright denies - and hey, that's possible... I'm coming from a school and program that doesn't send many people out to grad school. Sooo my folks are a little dated when it comes to evaluting profiles and potential.

I felt really good about Purdue's MA until a prof of mine started talking about how exclusive their program was and how difficult it was to get into and what not.

We shall see! I still feel good about Louisville but my confidence is slipping.

That's a definite advantage to the straight out rejection. Wait lists are a unique kind of hell. But... It's also a domino effect. If I get in off my top choice's wait list, I'll have to turn down Purdue. It's a big old chain.

I know that's not really helping either of us right now, though. Lol. Best of luck!

I think it's perfectly normal to feel ambivalent when you're on a waitlist, and also when you finally make your decision. It's an emotionally confusing process. Just hold on for a little while longer.

Thanks, Zinc! At any rate, I'm stoked to meet some Purdue peeps at Cs. And maybe I'll roll out to W Lafayette to visit the campus while I'm in Indiana. Interaction with names and faces can go a long way towards helping us make the right decisions.

Also, speaking of the WPA listserv, which I just learned about in this convo, what other rhet/comp themed list servs are out there, waiting for me to join?

I recently joined the Disability Studies in the Humanities listserv, and I love hearing about what's going on in DS in other departments. 

So awesome! I didn't know about this listserv. Thank you so much for sharing it, Proflorax!

Thanks, Zinc! At any rate, I'm stoked to meet some Purdue peeps at Cs. And maybe I'll roll out to W Lafayette to visit the campus while I'm in Indiana. Interaction with names and faces can go a long way towards helping us make the right decisions.

So, I'm upgrading my creep level to 2.0, but I'm thinking of doing the same! So stoked to meet the Purdue cohort!

So, I'm upgrading my creep level to 2.0, but I'm thinking of doing the same! So stoked to meet the Purdue cohort!

When this season began, I suspected that we share some research interests. I think I'm presenting at Cs on Saturday (morning?). Will you be at the Bedford party?

And creep on, my friend. This decision is like choosing a partner. Leave nothing uncreeped. :)

The whole Purdue network will be rolling deep at Cs this year, past and present. They don't call us the Vatican for nothing. I look forward to meeting you, whether you decide to come here or not.

Remember that Purdue releases acceptances in batches over a period of time, including through March, so don't panic if you haven't heard anything yet. 

Good to know. I don't want to cause mass panic. :)

Looking forward to it! I can introduce you around. Plus if you want to meet anybody from the larger network-- Kathleen Yancey, Paul Matsuda, David Blakeslee, Shirley Rose, etc etc-- let me know.

ps we have had lovely visits with potential grads at Cs who ended up deciding to go elsewhere, so no pressure.

Of course. I'm looking forward to making connections, regardless of my final decision. In this profession, we rely on our colleagues across universities so much. You never know when you'll need to call on a colleague to form a conference panel or read your dissertation. Networking is a lovely thing.

Not to bail on the Purdue train, but can we talk rhet/comp waitlists for a second? I'm currently sitting on three. And I'm holding two funded acceptances. And I only applied to these 5 schools. I thought maybe we could share what we're waiting on and what we might free up for other waitlisters.