PHD Bioengineering/Biomedical engineering applications Fall 2014 profiles

T.J

Do any of you guys know how funding works for the MS-to-PhD program at Columbia?  I'm assuming the PhD part is fully funded, but I'm concerned that the MS part won't.  Anyone have any idea?

My assumption is that the Masters would not be funded, but I'm sure a Columbia will clarify that at the interview. Good luck!

I contacted Vtech. They said they are making decisions and they expect to contact us by end of March or early april :| ... Rutgers has the same reputation..

We need to initiate study and sample graduate students for their blood and do all the stress marker profile. I'm positive that the stress levels will be very high till april.

I contacted Vtech. They said they are making decisions and they expect to contact us by end of March or early april :| ... Rutgers has the same reputation..

We need to initiate study and sample graduate students for their blood and do all the stress marker profile. I'm positive that the stress levels will be very high till april.

Wow that is so late, considering you have to reply to any other offers you have by 4/15...  I like their program, but will definitely be making my decision before early April.

Wow that is so late, considering you have to reply to any other offers you have by 4/15...  I like their program, but will definitely be making my decision before early April.

Agreed. I thought mid march to the end of march. IMHO, It will also help those who are on waitlist for those universities you got admitted to.

Have you guys thought about where you would go if you got into all the places you are interviewing..I just started thinking about it, and it's a lot harder than I originally thought it would be >.<  

Choosing between Clemson and PSU was hard enough. I assure you, the more the choices you have the more confused you would be (assuming everything equal)... but i think deep down we know what we want to choose and but at the same time, it evolves from jan-april :D over time.

Did anyone else receive the email from Student Universe on behalf of Harvard SEAS? I called admissions because I haven't received any other notifications, and the person I talked to said it was a mistake on the travel agency's part. I wonder if it was a slip to all applicants or only those who were admitted? Losing my mind over here. 

Did anyone else receive the email from Student Universe on behalf of Harvard SEAS? I called admissions because I haven't received any other notifications, and the person I talked to said it was a mistake on the travel agency's part. I wonder if it was a slip to all applicants or only those who were admitted? Losing my mind over here.

No i have not received anything from Harvard and i am also going nuts!

Btw, I received the rejection letter from Hopkins BME... It looks like i will most likely enroll in Hopkins ChemBE!

I also received an email from Student Universe (I applied for CS to SEAS though). I called them very quickly after receiving the email and the person I spoke to said I had been admitted, though she seemed surprised I hadn't heard from any faculty. However, now I'm not so sure, and I'm wondering if she incorrectly thought I had been admitted just because I had received the email.

But if not everyone received the email, then maybe it was only sent to accepted students? It's been driving me nuts trying to figure it out. I've tried to call them again today to get this straightened out, but they haven't been responding.

I called yesterday afternoon and the person I spoke to said it was accidentally sent to all applicants and that it was not an indication of admission. I also received an email from Student Universe saying something along the same lines. 

I asked when all decisions would be sent out and she said they were working on it and it would be a couple of weeks at the latest. I had the same theory about accepted students getting the email, because why on earth would Harvard give all of their applicants contact info to a travel agency before they were admitted?

Yeah, it seems like not many people received that email, so it probably was the admitted students. Then again, I would expect a faculty member to contact us if that was the case, and I'm not sure why they wouldn't tell you that you were admitted when you called if that was indeed the case. They said the open house is March 7th, so I guess we'll know for sure before then.

Yeah, it seems like not many people received that email, so it probably was the admitted students. Then again, I would expect a faculty member to contact us if that was the case, and I'm not sure why they wouldn't tell you that you were admitted when you called if that was indeed the case. They said the open house is March 7th, so I guess we'll know for sure before then.

I can't imagine how Harvard could release our contact info to a travel agency without our consent.  I really don't remember agreeing to such terms.

Or maybe I'm just bitter that I didn't get that email! :)

Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to Grad Cafe and I've been lurking around this thread for a while, so I figured I should show myself :-) Just wondering if anyone has heard from Yale BME yet? From what I've seen of results in past years, it seems like they're generally pretty slow about things...nevertheless, I'm still starting to give up on the idea of an acceptance there, haha.

And just a little about me, since I'm new:

GRE: Q - 750; V - 720; A - 4.0 (took it in 2011)

UG GPA: 3.91/4.00 (BSBME at Purdue)

Master's GPA: First Class Honors (equivalent ~3.88/4.00 - M.Sc. Immunology & Global Health at NUI Maynooth in Ireland)

Research experience: approximately 2 years; it's been scattered about here and there, so it's a bit difficult to quantify

Research publications, patents, conferences: one publication; poster presentations at BMES and several other smaller conferences

PhD intended specialization: drug delivery, polymeric biomaterials, nanomaterials and nanotechnology, vaccine/adjuvant/immunotherapy development, infectious diseases, global health... kind of somewhere in the intersection of chemical engineering, materials science, and immunology

University list: see signature! I primarily applied to BME programs, but also threw in a couple in other departments (e.g., Vanderbilt Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, Iowa State Chemical & Biological Engineering)

Oh, and I'd be happy to answer any questions people might have about Purdue BME! Of course, I'm more familiar with the undergrad than the grad program there, but I'm still happy to help!

-Frances

Edited by frances089

Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to Grad Cafe and I've been lurking around this thread for a while, so I figured I should show myself :-) Just wondering if anyone has heard from Yale BME yet? From what I've seen of results in past years, it seems like they're generally pretty slow about things...nevertheless, I'm still starting to give up on the idea of an acceptance there, haha.

And just a little about me, since I'm new:

GRE: Q - 750; V - 720; A - 4.0 (took it in 2011)

UG GPA: 3.91/4.00 (BSBME at Purdue)

Master's GPA: First Class Honors (equivalent ~3.88/4.00 - M.Sc. Immunology & Global Health at NUI Maynooth in Ireland)

Research experience: approximately 2 years; it's been scattered about here and there, so it's a bit difficult to quantify

Research publications, patents, conferences: one publication; poster presentations at BMES and several other smaller conferences

PhD intended specialization: drug delivery, polymeric biomaterials, nanomaterials and nanotechnology, vaccine/adjuvant/immunotherapy development, infectious diseases, global health... kind of somewhere in the intersection of chemical engineering, materials science, and immunology

University list: see signature! I primarily applied to BME programs, but also threw in a couple in other departments (e.g., Vanderbilt Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, Iowa State Chemical & Biological Engineering)

Oh, and I'd be happy to answer any questions people might have about Purdue BME! Of course, I'm more familiar with the undergrad than the grad program there, but I'm still happy to help!

-Frances

Do you know if all NU results are out?  I'm assuming a rejection at this point since I haven't heard from the school - and it looks like the acceptances were sent in one big burst based on the results section T_T

Hi,

Who here is interviewing at Penn and Stanford next week? Have you gotten your final list of faculty you are interviewing with yet?

And how are you dealing with the conflicts?? 

Thanks!

I'm interviewing at Penn and haven't received my faculty list yet.

Hi,

Who here is interviewing at Penn and Stanford next week? Have you gotten your final list of faculty you are interviewing with yet?

And how are you dealing with the conflicts?? 

Thanks! 

Penn emailed today to say that we receive our faculty lists when we show up. 

I talked to the secretary and she told me what profs indicated that they want to talk to me, so I'll probably focus on reading up on them.

I decided to go to Penn in person because I heard from an inside source that the older graduate students also get a say in who gets admitted. Also it's closer geographically to me, which is far more convenient. Doing Skype interviews for Stanford!

Penn emailed today to say that we receive our faculty lists when we show up.

I talked to the secretary and she told me what profs indicated that they want to talk to me, so I'll probably focus on reading up on them.

I decided to go to Penn in person because I heard from an inside source that the older graduate students also get a say in who gets admitted. Also it's closer geographically to me, which is far more convenient. Doing Skype interviews for Stanford!

Hi AxyC,

Thanks for the information. Did you already get the list of people you are skyping with at Stanford?

The problem for me is that there are more faculty at Stanford who are doing research I'm really interested in, so I think I'll do the opposite as you and Skype with Penn. Though I guess I'll miss out on the senior grad students putting in a good word for me :(

In any case, best wishes to you and tuckbro, who is also going to Penn! :)

Edited by jeffleung1992

Hi AxyC,

Thanks for the information. Did you already get the list of people you are skyping with at Stanford?

The problem for me is that there are more faculty at Stanford who are doing research I'm really interested in, so I think I'll do the opposite as you and Skype with Penn. Though I guess I'll miss out on the senior grad students putting in a good word for me :(

In any case, best wishes to you and tuckbro, who is also going to Penn! :)

Hi! Thanks :) I hope the Penn interviews go well, and good luck to you at stanford. I have the opposite situation where more people at penn do research I am interested in than at stanford. And I forget if I mentioned this part (typing from my phone so I can't see the other posts right now) but I also live an hour from Stanford and already know that I love the campus. But I kind of don't want to live TOO close to home for graduate school. I like exploring new places :)

I haven't gotten my full list of interviews yet but Stanford made it sound like I get to talk to whoever I have on my faculty interest list. So far I have one of the four scheduled.

Hi! Thanks :) I hope the Penn interviews go well, and good luck to you at stanford. I have the opposite situation where more people at penn do research I am interested in than at stanford. And I forget if I mentioned this part (typing from my phone so I can't see the other posts right now) but I also live an hour from Stanford and already know that I love the campus. But I kind of don't want to live TOO close to home for graduate school. I like exploring new places :)

I haven't gotten my full list of interviews yet but Stanford made it sound like I get to talk to whoever I have on my faculty interest list. So far I have one of the four scheduled.

Oh wow, it's great to hear the campus is nice! I've never been to the west coast! So I'm excited. I sent my list of four faculty a while back, as they asked, but haven't heard back if I have all 4 scheduled or not. Maybe if I don't hear back by Tuesday, I'll call the secretary.

I actually did an REU at Penn, and it was a wonderful experience. The campus is pretty nice, though a little smaller than other places. The students are great to talk to bc they care about more than just STEM fields (in contrast to my UG, where most people are just hard core science/bio/med). I'm sure you'll have a great time! :)

Do you know if all NU results are out?  I'm assuming a rejection at this point since I haven't heard from the school - and it looks like the acceptances were sent in one big burst based on the results section T_T

Btw frances, based on the results section it looks like Yale releases decisions towards the endish of Feb. in general so I wouldn't worry too much yet!

bener123, that's reassuring, thanks! :-) 

Regarding NU, I don't know anything for sure, so I suppose it's possible all the results are out. However, when I spoke with a professor on the phone, he did say I was in "the first round of acceptances," so perhaps they do have a second wave?