2014 Applicants

MattDest

Nah. I've seen dfindley's okcupid profile (now unfortunately deleted). Definitely wasn't him. His pecs weren't muscular enough.

I can't help myself here...have you all seen this chronicle thread...you talking about muscular pecs reminded me for some reason, and I know it's totally off topic but it is incredible..

I can't help myself here...have you all seen this chronicle thread...you talking about muscular pecs reminded me for some reason, and I know it's totally off topic but it is incredible..

A highlight: "The thing is, the secretary, when she first saw me, slowly rose out of her seat, turned red in the face and began to massage herself inside her shirt."

Also only somewhat related: did anyone else see this thread of dfindley talking about his book with people? It's an amazing exchange. 

Edited by Table

Why is it that there is always some one who questions the validity of the postings as they start to come up? 

It is somewhat odd to me that people are really suspicious of submissions where's only one and then consider it verified once there's two. Couldn't you make 2 fake submissions just as easily?

It is somewhat odd to me that people are really suspicious of submissions where's only one and then consider it verified once there's two. Couldn't you make 2 fake submissions just as easily?

Well its a historical induction. Very often people fake one submission. I have never seen multiple submissions @ the same school be fake. Also, I have never seen someone make an account and post on these forums to claim a fake acceptance.

In order to change the trolling metagame, yes, someone could put down a mix of like 5 acceptances and boy would that be convincing, each with different spellings (Duke, Duke U, Duke University) with a mix of stats and not stats, mix of email and website, and yeah it would totally get me. Until that happens though, I will classify it along in-person voter fraud as a non-issue until proven otherwise.

Edited by TheVineyard

The effectiveness of the gradcafe results site depends on people being reasonable and civil.  And it just so happens that it's worked out pretty well so far.  So yeah, Table, you're right that one person could mess up the whole thing.  But since that's not happened yet, some of us are putting a little confidence in the system.  If I see a few posts, I'm going to assume it's legitimate.

A highlight: "The thing is, the secretary, when she first saw me, slowly rose out of her seat, turned red in the face and began to massage herself inside her shirt."

Also only somewhat related: did anyone else see this thread of dfindley talking about his book with people? It's an amazing exchange. 

Seems a shame to "work on a book for several years" and then not be able to persuade an editor to catch the grammatical errors in the book description. tl;dr

I have been trying to take scheduled breaks from the internet over the past week or so and hope to do so as the process continues so I don't go mad. But I have been failing. This is me every 20 minutes: 'Well, I suppose I could check the forum... or maybe my email... maybe a committee member will send me a late night email letting me know I got in... they do that, right?' The mornings are even worse... I almost like to avoid my email to start the day in the hopeful anticipation that it'll be full of positive news. And it is still so early on... I am screwed, I need to fix my thoughts elsewhere. I am in the middle of writing a review for a phil journal... and still reading loads of philosophy... but in supremely negative moods I find myself thinking, 'why bother if I am just going to get shut out?' Oh, the trials!

In reality, I think I should probably start believing that if there is no word after 8PM EST (5PM PST) I should call it a day and stay away from my email. 

One thing I have found to be rather enjoyable and something that takes away the stress even if it is a bit naive and optimistic, is spending some time over on the City Guide forum and just googling and perusing blogs detailing life in the various locations of the schools I have applied to. I'm a coffee snob and so have been reading cafe reviews in a lot of cities. Also checking rent prices, etc. Yes, I know this is awfully forward looking of me. Oh well. Any one else find themselves doing this?

Edited by objectivityofcontradiction

I have been trying to take scheduled breaks from the internet over the past week or so and hope to do so as the process continues so I don't go mad. But I have been failing. This is me every 20 minutes: 'Well, I suppose I could check the forum... or maybe my email... maybe a committee member will send me a late night email letting me know I got in... they do that, right?' The mornings are even worse... I almost like to avoid my email to start the day in the hopeful anticipation that it'll be full of positive news. And it is still so early on... I am screwed, I need to fix my thoughts elsewhere. I am in the middle of writing a review for a phil journal... and still reading loads of philosophy... but in supremely negative moods I find myself thinking, 'why bother if I am just going to get shut out?' Oh, the trials!

In reality, I think I should probably start believing that if there is no word after 8PM EST (5PM PST) I should call it a day and stay away from my email. 

One thing I have found to be rather enjoyable and something that takes away the stress even if it is a bit naive and optimistic, is spending some time over on the City Guide forum and just googling and perusing blogs detailing life in the various locations of the schools I have applied to. I'm a coffee snob and so have been reading cafe reviews in a lot of cities. Also checking rent prices, etc. Yes, I know this is awfully forward looking of me. Oh well. Any one else find themselves doing this?

This whole thing is an excellent description of what I do on a daily basis (even the City Guide forum part).

Edited by DHumeDominates

I don't think this could be more accurate. 

If the UIC admit sees this, please PM me if you don't mind sharing details. I received a somewhat vague voicemail from UIC the other day (why oh why do I leave my phone on silent!), and I'm currently waiting for them to follow up.

If the UIC admit sees this, please PM me if you don't mind sharing details. I received a somewhat vague voicemail from UIC the other day (why oh why do I leave my phone on silent!), and I'm currently waiting for them to follow up.

sending you good vibes! that is my first choice and is such an awesome program! hope you hear good news back from them soon(:

I wasn't going to register. But then I saw Gnothi_Seauton's username and I just had to make this one.

I don't feel like putting up too much about myself right now. Suffice to say that my overall GPA is quite weak (<3.5) and my GREs are quite strong (>95% for each section). I applied to just over 10 schools, all PhD programs. If I get in anywhere it'll be a testament to how a weak GPA needn't exclude a candidate from consideration. Oh, I'm interested in metaphysics.

Hello Everybody!

First off, a big congratulations to the Duke acceptances. Duke was on my list this year, and I am a little jealous.

But, I also have some news. On Friday I got an email from Missouri offering me acceptance and telling me I was nominated for a 'prestigious' university level fellowship. So, any missouri applicants should keep an eye to their email!

Hello Everybody!

First off, a big congratulations to the Duke acceptances. Duke was on my list this year, and I am a little jealous.

But, I also have some news. On Friday I got an email from Missouri offering me acceptance and telling me I was nominated for a 'prestigious' university level fellowship. So, any missouri applicants should keep an eye to their email!

Congratulations! 

Congratulations!

Hello Everybody!