Applying directly to PhD programs or taking time off...

psyched_trojan2015

Hello again! I posted here maybe two months ago regarding a double major in Psy and Comm; math minor. I've ultimately decided to devote my time with just Psychology as my major. I've been learning different subfields of Psychology in my intro course and one thing that really interests me is Clinical/Counseling, particularly the study of psychotherapy for mental health and disorders, as well as the effects of positive psychology. I'm seriously looking into applying to PhD programs for Clinical/Counseling (haven't decided which is best for me), but I'm feeling very...what's the word...incompetent.

The reason I feel this way is because I switched my major to Psychology pretty late compared to the rest of my Psy peers. Now, as a junior, I really feel like time is winding down and I need to get myself together if I'm getting serious about this. Furthermore, I have a lack of research experience. I know it's normal for me to have little-to-no experience because I just got into the undergrad program, but I can't help but feel really behind. As of now, I'm trying my best to get myself familiar with my undergrad department. I've already introduced myself to my professor and we're getting to know each other. I'm also looking at some of the faculty's research topics on the school's website and hoping to find some assistant position in a lab if they're looking for any students who want to get involved.

I've been looking at some of the grad school's cohort and glancing through the grad students' CVs. Man, I really feel like I need more time to get my CV together. Especially for PhD programs; they're super competitive as you all know. In honesty, I'm not sure if I'll have enough experience to get into a PhD program by graduation (which is in about 1.5 years). I'm going to try my best to take advantage of the opportunities offered at my campus, and if things work out the way it should, I should have a 3 or 4 research experiences and a publication (or two -- McNairs Scholars program). But the last thing I want is to apply to programs and get rejected from all of them due to lack of experience. I was thinking about applying to some MA in Counseling Psy program, work for a few years to get more experience, and then apply to PhD programs. BUT the money issue...

I don't come from money, and my undergrad tuition is all paid for by grants and scholarships. I'm not really O.K. with taking out massive loans for a place like Teacher's College; PsyD is also not an option. My professor, who is also a clinical psychologist, told me getting in is about fit, but I feel like I'd be inadequate by graduation. Why am I letting this get to me?? I find the field of psychotherapy and studying the dynamics fascinating, and I would love to get into it, but I'm just kind of lost right now, especially because I was preparing for a completely different field before. I honestly don't know the best route for me. Also, I want to stay in either California or New York (the city) because I have family in both states, which would make the living situation a lot easier. I know I should be talking about this issue with my professor, but I want to read what you all have to say since everyone on here is so helpful! Thank you so much for reading this!

My advice: get involved in research now, and do so heavily in your junior and senior years. If you're still feeling a bit unsure upon fall of your senior year as far as specialization, plans for the future, etc., then take another year or two to do research (you can get a paid RA/RC position, or your current lab might be able to find some funding to keep working there FT or PT), and then apply. I'm of the belief that an extra year or two off is only beneficial in the long-term, and that this career path is so long and specific, that you shouldn't apply if you still have any serious concerns or questions.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, a good clinical psychology program will offer you five years of funding and a tuition waiver, plus health insurance.  You shouldn't feel geographically constrained to NYC or CA; while that might be nice, you need to be more geographically open as your best fit program may be outside of those areas.

I do agree - you should get involved in research now and then work for 2 years as a research assistant/coordinator if you are still unsure or feel like you need additional research experience.  Many clinical applicants do that nowadays, given that the field is so competitive.

Don't just browse the websites hoping to come across an assistant position…ask faculty in your department if they are looking for an RA.  If not, ask if they know if any of their colleagues are looking for one.

You have to remember that the grad students' CVs also reflects what they've done in grad school.

If you JUST started doing psychology research this year, it is unlikely that you will have a publication by the time you graduate.

Given your math minor, are you open to PhD programs in quantitative psychology with a clinical focus? Such programs would require far less research experience than a clinical-only program.

You can look into UCLA and USC if you'd like to stay in California.