Unusual mDiv Applicant. Chances?

wonedy

Hello!

I'm currently considering applying for an mDiv. My call is strong, but unfortunately I'm not sure if I'm exactly what divinity schools like Yale, Vanderbilt & Emory (where I intend to apply) are looking for, even though I'm not exactly sure what a typical mDiv student at these institutions really 'looks like.' I'm not considering Duke.

Without writing a personal statement, this is me in a nut-shell:

I come from an unhealthy family (drugs, alcohol, anger) and I left home at 16. Hard work and the grace of God landed me a full ride merit scholarship to a top ten university, where I held several on campus leadership positions, published in a journal or two, and ultimately graduated with a 3.71 GPA in History and Women's Studies.

I'm currently a Spanish teacher in Memphis, TN with the Teach For America program. Working in a high-needs classroom has been a transformational experience for me, and it was in Memphis that I heard my call. I realized the precariousness of my life and ego, that all of my accomplishments were really blessings, the grace of God meant to prepare me for a life of giving and ministry. This is inescapable for me now: after hearing my students stories and seeing their battle wounds--physical and psychical--I cannot and will not return to the business-as-usual of white bourgeious privilege. Also, I am gay.

The problem is that I've had more than my fair share of indescretions. I was on disciplinary probation for basically my entire undergraduate experience after alcohol poisoning landed me in the ER a couple times during my first semester (there were also a couple vandalism issues while drinking), and I ultimately had to take my second semester off to 'settle down' a little bit with my drinking. I was in denial about the fact that I was an alcoholic, and while I returned to school and did fine academically/conduct-wise, I didn't stop drinking until the summer before senior year, when a blackout drunk 'prank call' to 911 landed me in jail. This was utlimately my 'rock bottom,' and I haven't had a drink since. But I do have a misdemeanor 'false fire alarm' conviction.

I will definitely be writing about these events and speaking to their importance in my spiritual and emotional growth, but I was wondering if divinity schools like Yale, Vanderbilt and Emory are forgiving of circumstances like these? I've been 100% sober and subsequently crime-free since for over 2 years (over three years once my intended enrollment date of Fall 2014 gets here). My thought is that if they aren't forgiving, I don't want to go anyway, but I'd love to have some encouragement/suggestions either way!

What do people think?

You are an MDiv adcom's wet dream. Seriously, they love 'turn-around' stories like that. If you can tell your story honestly, and in such a way that even the worst moments serve as an impetus for your call to ministry (and it sounds like that just is your story), they'll eat it right up.

Hi and welcome!

A couple of thoughts.. Nobody is perfect and EVERYONE comes to their MDiv studies with some stuff behind them. How you deal with it all is evidence of maturity and stability. Some degree of openness is expected and necessary, both for the MDiv application process and for development and personal growth. Forgiveness is not going to be an issue.

However, one mark of genuine healing and growth is the ability to move beyond important issues. There's a lot more to you than your history as an alcoholic who made some poor choices. If you can let your whole self show in the application materials, I think your case will be stronger for it.

Finally, why not Duke? Your personal history intersects with some of the courses Duke offers, in a way that might be of benefit to you both academically and vocationally.

Good luck with your applications.

Good luck! I'll be applying to all of the same schools you'll be and a few others. In fact, I have potentially 7 that I'll be applying to but I'm thinking of cutting back significantly due to financial concerns but also because I think 7 schools, for an MDiv, is too many.

I'm currently serving with Americorps at a non-profit working with the local homeless population. Also, while your backstory is similar to mine (severe abuse), my history is more about mental illness - having lost 3 people very close to me by suicide (a friend I grew up with that was bullied relentlessly by his family, school, and church for being a homosexual, a former girlfriend, and my father in November).

I'm also just not interested in Duke, even being from NC and it being relatively close (about 1.5 hours away) to family. It's a good school but when I toured the campus, I just didn't like the atmosphere and the fact that there's no graduate housing on campus (coming from a residential college, 'community' is HUGE for me). Two of my LORs are Duke Divinity graduates and really encouraged the school but, borrowing from the thread regarding 'fit,' - Duke just isn't a good fit for me but describing why in quantifiable terms is hard.

I went to Vanderbilt and you'd fit right in there. Your narrative is as important to the admissions committee as your GPA, GRE and recommendations (they may not require GRE--I don't remember). There were many students with stories like yours.

You are an MDiv adcom's wet dream. Seriously, they love 'turn-around' stories like that. If you can tell your story honestly, and in such a way that even the worst moments serve as an impetus for your call to ministry (and it sounds like that just is your story), they'll eat it right up.

Exactly what I was thinking.