SLP California Applicants for Fall 2014

Rejected from SJSU and waitlisted at CSU East Bay, exact same thing as last year! I know I was in the top ten on the waitlist in 2013, so I thought I'd be offered admission this year. Oh well, luckily I applied to some online programs this year so I have options. Better for my car to not drive to Hayward every day anyway :) 

I recently was accepted to Chico State, but can't really find that much information about the program… their website doesn't really state what clinical placements I am guaranteed or what type of populations I would have the opportunity to work with. Does anyone know anything about their program? Any info would be greatly appreciated!! 

I was accepted to CSU East Bay April 11th. I was torn between doing the pre CDs program at CSUN to live with parents and save money, or taking out the loans to cover housing and moving to the Bay Area. The perk of doing so means not having to go through the application process again next year. Rankings show CSUN as being higher ranked than EB, but people also seem to speak very highly of the east bay program and clinical opportunities. In the end I am leaning toward East Bay despite the debt because computing for such limited spaces is tough and I'd hate to complete the pre CDS courses and then find myself wait listed or rejected next year.

I was accepted to CSU East Bay April 11th. I was torn between doing the pre CDs program at CSUN to live with parents and save money, or taking out the loans to cover housing and moving to the Bay Area. The perk of doing so means not having to go through the application process again next year. Rankings show CSUN as being higher ranked than EB, but people also seem to speak very highly of the east bay program and clinical opportunities. In the end I am leaning toward East Bay despite the debt because computing for such limited spaces is tough and I'd hate to complete the pre CDS courses and then find myself wait listed or rejected next year.

A lot of folks would like to even get a spot in a CA school. It's one of the toughest states to get in. You may never get this opportunity again and you will REGRET it. Go. Go. Go. :)

Accepted at California State University Eastbay. Feeling blessed as it was the only school I applied to...Got in with a 3.65 Major GPA and an overall GPA of only 3.24. I volunteered at a hospital in the stroke unit and at an Aphasia clinic. I complete about 80+ hours. I'm also involved in international charity work. If anyone out there who is feeling discouraged--DO NOT GIVE UP! Anything is possible! <3

Accepted at California State University Eastbay. Feeling blessed as it was the only school I applied to...Got in with a 3.65 Major GPA and an overall GPA of only 3.24. I volunteered at a hospital in the stroke unit and at an Aphasia clinic. I complete about 80+ hours. I'm also involved in international charity work. If anyone out there who is feeling discouraged--DO NOT GIVE UP! Anything is possible! <3

Congratulations! I am definitely going to apply to East Bay, though my GPA is much lower than yours. Is there anything specific you did to tailor your application to EB? I spent some time walking around the campus, and it's quite beautiful and hilly!

Congratulations! I am definitely going to apply to East Bay, though my GPA is much lower than yours. Is there anything specific you did to tailor your application to EB? I spent some time walking around the campus, and it's quite beautiful and hilly!

I didn't tailor anything specifically to EB, but many of their faculty members have a background in bilingual areas, which was an interest of mine, so that may have had something to do with my acceptance as well. I did my undergrad in a different field at NYU. GPA 3.73, GRE isn't required for East Bay (phew!), and my work experience was in the ESL/ELL education industry for the past 6 years, here and abroad.

I'm also really liking EB because they have a lower minimum GPA. Do you think that means that they are more lenient on GPA and look more at the personal statement/letters of rec?

• 2 weeks later...

I have an interview at CSULB next week! I'm so excited! This is for the special cohort and my #1 choice! I've been provided 2 articles to read and be prepared to discuss. Anyone with any tips/advice?

How did your interview go? I also have an interview for their special cohort program in a week! I'm very excited, since this is the only school that I've heard good news from! But at the same time, extremely nervous! I know that it's a group interview also ...which makes me a little anxious. How many were in your group? and, CONGRATULATIONS to you! especially since it's your first choice! hopefully we'll be in this together!!

Edited by ZIGGY

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Yesterday, 11:52 PM

SLP_mol, on 20 May 2014 - 2:55 PM, said:snapback.png

Just checked my application status online on csulb and it said denied as of today :( Goodluck to everyone else though.  (I checked by going to csulb/applicationstatus.)

It looks like i'm going to Chapman in the fall! If anyone else will be as well message me!

Ambularr- I checked my application status after seeing your post. I was rejected as well ;/ I'm bummed because I just graduated with my bachelors from CSULB today! But on the other hand, I think I need more experience in the field. I only applied to CSULB and CSULA so I'm crossing my fingers for CSULA.. Edited by dial1010usa

Can somebody tell me what CSUN statement of purpose criterias?? How many words, tell them about what?? There must be some information about it. I just cannot find anything about it on their webpage. I am thinking to contact advisor, just wanted to check with you guys as I see some of you applied there before.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

ZIGGY, I'm sorry I just got this response. My interview went ok, although very short, even with us 3 in the interview. They only sake 3 questions and only about 1 article of 2 they had us prepare for. I dk if there was enough time to make an impression. So I'm crossing my fingers! They said they won't decide until July 14th. Quill check their portal now though due to the other responses I see here.

I hope yours went well! Was it similar to mine? Rushed? I really hope to be there with you!

ZIGGY, I'm sorry I just got this response. My interview went ok, although very short, even with us 3 in the interview. They only sake 3 questions and only about 1 article of 2 they had us prepare for. I dk if there was enough time to make an impression. So I'm crossing my fingers! They said they won't decide until July 14th. Quill check their portal now though due to the other responses I see here.

I hope yours went well! Was it similar to mine? Rushed? I really hope to be there with you!

I GOT INTO CSULB SPECIAL COHORT!!!!!!!!! Got a letter today!

AHH! that's great news! Congratulations! I know that was your first choice! My interview went well (I hope!). I thought it was a group interview but mine ended up being just me in the interview although there was another girl waiting as well. They told me I should hear by this week. So I've been pretty anxious today & yesterday. However, they also said if we don't hear this week it doesn't necessarily mean we didn't get in bc they're still doing interviews.

But you got your notice in the mail?? I'm gonna go straight home & check when I can! so nervous.

Congrats, again!

Thank u! Yes, I received notice in the mail. Originally they said July 14th is when we would hear, so I was shocked to receive a letter from them. Good luck to u, I'm crossing my fingers for u!

AHH! that's great news! Congratulations! I know that was your first choice! My interview went well (I hope!). I thought it was a group interview but mine ended up being just me in the interview although there was another girl waiting as well. They told me I should hear by this week. So I've been pretty anxious today & yesterday. However, they also said if we don't hear this week it doesn't necessarily mean we didn't get in bc they're still doing interviews.

But you got your notice in the mail?? I'm gonna go straight home & check when I can! so nervous.

Congrats, again!

Hey, did you not hear from CSUN yet?  I got a rejection email (it was in my junk mail) a while back. Still crossing my fingers for you!

Do you guys mind sharing your GPA/GRE who got accepted into CSULA?

What are their requirements?

Got waitlisted at CSULA, it is also my current school where I am finishing my certificate program.  My GPA is 3.8, GRE was not high at all (quant score is a little embarrassing), verbal 154, quant 144. 

I know after this year, they are moving to a point system where you get points for certain activites - i.e. attending NSHLA mtgs, etc. 

This year I'm not sure what they were looking for, but I believe there is some emphasis on extracurricular involvement