Anybody got into doctoral program with bachelor's degree in psych?

coffee_maniac

I stopped by one of my professors office today. She told me that it is a waste of money to apply for doctoral program if I only have bachelor's degree in psych.... Is this true?

Any recommendations of schools that normally consider students with bachelors degree for funded graduate study?

My background is bachelor (GPA = 3.9) with 2 years of related counseling work. My goal is to go to graduate school with funding, as I cannot afford the tuition. Thank you all for your time and effort!

What she told you is false. In fact, many of the doctoral programs I have looked at (in cognitive and social psych) specifically mention that a master's degree provides no leg up in the application process. Of course a master's couldn't hurt, but research experience is much more important. I only have a BA and some research experience, and I am currently applying to PhD programs. So, do your research on programs that interest you, but I wouldn't listen to that prof. 

Agreed. I got my MS before applying to a PhD program, and it is concerned a bit of an nontraditional path.

Unless she meant that you should take a few years to work to get more research experience- she may have meant that it's unusual for people to go straight from undergrad to a PhD program.

I find it difficult to believe that a professor would say this.  Are you sure she wasn't referring to some other shortcoming in your qualifications?  Do you have research experience?  A complete lack of research experience would probably be a deal-breaker.  But going into PhD programs from undergrad is common.   You usually get your master's along the way, but you are committed - and accepted - for the completion of your doctorate.

I have not come across a single person inside academia who doesn't know that you can go from an undergrad straight into a PhD program.  What do the other professors in your department tell you?

Edited by Bren2014

Yes it happens.  It sounds like your professor may have been trying to indicate that while it is possible, PhD programs in Psych can be very competitive (especially if Clinical is your choice) and not all undergrads are ready for grad school (limited research experience, unclear research interests, unclear career aspirations, lack of maturity, etc).  You could always schedule a meeting with her to get more feedback on whether or not you're ready.  It could be she feels you aren't and you would benefit from taking a year to gain more research experience or from doing a Master's (not necessarily a leg up, but a chance to further develop skills/interests) first.  It would also be helpful for you to get feedback from other professors in your department.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your feedback. I didn't really want to do research when I was in my undergrad in Psychology. I didn't even want to go to graduate school before. However, for the past 2 years after I graduated, I was working in after school program and now as a life coach. Gradually I realize that I am very interested in a Masters or PhD in counseling psychology.  My goal is to open my own practice and write books to help people who have psychology challenges.

So I am applying to some Master's and some PhD programs. She wasn't really mean to say this. I guess I wasn't quite understanding and got confused of how important the working experience is compared with research experience..... I am pretty sure I am not alone on this. How can a person with good working experience still be possible to get admitted in PhD programs with funding? Sigh....

Most of that "funding" comes from research grants through professors focused on research- the funding is technically "payment" for your research work (and TA'ing work). If you really want to be a clinician and not do research (and/or don't have research experience to get into a program that emphasizes research), you will have trouble finding a program that is funded where you will be competitive.

IMO, I'd suggest doing a master's in counseling or social work or something like that. They aren't very long, and you can probably work part-time and TA to minimize the cost of tuition and living.

@ coffee_maniac do you have any research experience? I know people with good research experience, clinical experience, strong coursework, and good fit with PI (basically BEST possible scenario) get in straight out of a BA. One of these people actually had to try more than once. If I were you, I wouldn't go for an MA because you have good grades (I regret my path a little... at the end I felt like I was taking the same course work over and over again). Maybe get a research job? But that may not be an option if you don't have good research experience... those jobs can be pretty competitive.

In clinical programs (PhD) research matters more than clinical work. As long as you have some clinical stuff to show, it will help your app more to show that you have research. If I were you, I'd take a gap year. At this very moment, I'd go find something I enjoy and join a lab. Apply to the Hot Metal Bridge program at Pittsburgh or some similar post-bac program before applying. Also, learn to deal with rejection and be okay with applying multiple times. Clinical is hard but you can do it!