Where are you applying for 2014?

ProfMoriarty

• 1 month later...

I'm applying to Illinois UC, Ohio State, Maryland BC, U of Arizona, Ohio University and possibly Rutgers. All PhD except Ohio University, which is MS. I also applied to a PhD program in my own country.

Are you American or international applicants? I'm from Europe, from a country that doesn't normally send that many students to the US, which is why I'm a bit worried about grade conversions, etc.

(Sorry, I deleted my previous post.)

Which branch of geography are you guys planning to pursue? Human geography? Environmental geography? GIS?

(just trying to keep conversations going on lol)

I'm interested in human-environmental interactions, and I minored in GIS, so I guess I'm a little bit all over the place. My research interests are more well-defined, though. :)

I had my first interview yesterday. It was for my home university, and I felt that it didn't go too well. I got the results today, and I was waitlisted (1st place on the waitlist). I'm not getting in, though (or I would but without funding), as they only chose 3, and I'm pretty sure that nobody will decline the offer, as the funding is generous. I was pleasantly surprised that I made it to the interview, as there were almost 80 applicants and they interviewed six; however, I can't help feeling a little bit bummed that I didn't make it, although I would probably have chosen any US university over this one (not because it's bad but because a US degree is more valuable when pursuing a career in the academia).

I haven't. Still waiting for my professors to send their recommendations in.

I've only submitted one application, too, and I still have to customize my SoP for each of the remaining programs. I just sent recommendation requests for the programs that allowed me to do so. 

By the way I'm done with college! Wooohooo

Congratulations!!

Good luck with your applications due on Sunday! My next deadlines are between Dec 31 and Jan 10, and I'm struggling with the SOPs. I'm starting to feel that the SOP that I sent to one of the schools completely sucks, and I also found a stupid mistake in it now that I started to tailor it for the other programs. Oh well..

Thank you!

Okay I have one stupid question. If the website says "Deadline: December 15" does it mean I have to get it submitted before December 15 or by December 15?

I'd assume that you have to submit it at latest on Dec 15 at 11:59:59 p.m. :)

I'd assume that you have to submit it at latest on Dec 15 at 11:59:59 p.m. :)

Ah cool. Awesome. Thanks!

But you know what, I think I should just submit it before 12 am Dec 15 just to be safe. :mellow:

I'm so worried about my recommendation letters though. I really hope my professors will get them submitted on time. I wish there was a way to know if the letters are in. I've sent them reminders through the application website so I hope they are aware of the deadlines. I don't know if I should send them personal emails to notify them but I don't want to come off desperate, pushy and annoying (although I have to admit I am kinda desperate to know the status of the letters right now)

I'm about to submit U Arizona and UMBC applications. U Arizona is asking for "photocopies of official GRE and TOEFL score reports", which I don't have (I never had the reports sent to me in the first place). I also found out that one of my letter writers won't be able to submit his recommendation to one of the universities on time, as his vacation is starting today, and I haven't been able to send a recommendation request as I haven't submitted the application yet. Oh well..

Paolaplease, I feel you - the same happened with my MS thesis. The grade wasn't bad, really; just worse than I expected it to be. 

So this is where everyone is.  I've been over in the physical sciences thread feeling lonely.

I've applied to UC Boulder, University of New Mexico, University of Nevada-Reno, and University of Denver

I just found out today that although my professor swears he filled out a LOR, Denver doesn't have it in their records.  As if this isn't stressful enough, now there are technical problems as well. :-D