Where are you applying for 2014?

ProfMoriarty

I reached out to several faculty but wasn't able to make a visit which usually kills the admissions process in my opinion. I received positive feedback on my Statement of Purpose though.  But, I feel my focus on women of color and queer ontologies/epistemologies doesn't fit well with the department. 

I visited the schools, but not the programs or professors.  I would say contact is the most important part.  I think visits before applying are more for your benefit.  A visit to CO State's campus made me decide that I didn't want to apply there. 

LeoBixby: Indeed! 

For all those who applied to U of Washington, did you have prior contact with a professor? Or interviews? Getting worried, since I applied but didn't reach out to faculty, and haven't heard anything at all!   :(

I've been lurking around here voyeuristically for a while, without actually creating an account. However the U Washington decisions (and others) seem to be taking their sweet time while I grow increasingly agitated and my lady friend grows increasingly tired of hearing about it. So here I am in unanonymous form (a contrived sense of camaraderie can only console me so long y'know?). 

I applied to Washington (Masters) and didn't reach out to anyone at the department. However, a faculty member I mentioned a desire to work with in my SOP contacted me to express interest in my application and urge me to urge one of my designated recommenders to submit their [late] letter ASAP. Our communication was essentially limited to that issue and I haven't heard anything since it was resolved. A lot of nail biting over here.

Anyway, hello everyone! I'm primarily interested in rural-urban dynamics/ internal migration, with a focus on China, and spend a lot of time thinking about how to be constructive without further contributing to the "white-savior" complex. 

I've been lurking around here voyeuristically for a while, without actually creating an account. However the U Washington decisions (and others) seem to be taking their sweet time while I grow increasingly agitated and my lady friend grows increasingly tired of hearing about it. So here I am in unanonymous form (a contrived sense of camaraderie can only console me so long y'know?). 

I applied to Washington (Masters) and didn't reach out to anyone at the department. However, a faculty member I mentioned a desire to work with in my SOP contacted me to express interest in my application and urge me to urge one of my designated recommenders to submit their [late] letter ASAP. Our communication was essentially limited to that issue and I haven't heard anything since it was resolved. A lot of nail biting over here.

Anyway, hello everyone! I'm primarily interested in rural-urban dynamics/ internal migration, with a focus on China, and spend a lot of time thinking about how to be constructive without further contributing to the "white-savior" complex. 

Welcome fellow UW sufferer!!  hahaha  Looks like next week, but maybe we'll get surprised.  

LeoBixby: I think I have a good record, barring that Q section of the GRE :( but so does everyone else here! Its too bad that schools can't offer admissions to every applicant, but that's a discussion for another day. 

Thank you for all the kind and encouraging responses, everyone. 

paolaplease: snow days? :)

Whyyyyy are Penn State and UNC taking so long !!!

The physical Geography departments are behind as well.  I'm guessing that's a trend this year.  I wonder if it has anything to do with the government shutdown messing up funding?  My POI at UNM said that all of his grants from NSF that should be in are still pending.  I wonder if that is happening across the board...

The physical Geography departments are behind as well.  I'm guessing that's a trend this year.  I wonder if it has anything to do with the government shutdown messing up funding?  My POI at UNM said that all of his grants from NSF that should be in are still pending.  I wonder if that is happening across the board...

U of Illinois UC and U Arizona are late, too (although a UA rejection was posted yesterday on the results page). My POI from one of the universities told me yesterday that they are still "awaiting funding decisions"; she might have referred to NSF grants.

To maintain what is left of my sanity, I only allow myself to check my email every 30 mins. This is great progress compared to the earlier frequency of every five minutes. :P  Needless to say I haven't been too productive at work lately..

Edited by pohks

If you hear any more about that issue, please share!  That is kind of frightening.  Overall, I don't see that money solid offers of funding in the geography area, not as much as I would assume, considering how fast the discipline is growing in popularity right now.  

Taking into account that UNC-Chapel Hill typially delivers results during the first week of March, would it be impolite to email my POI and ask her about the status of my application? You know... ask her is she sees any chances for me?

In our previous correspondence she was VERY kind and a helpful. She even gave me pointers a to how to improve my SOP and agreed to "sponsor" my application (as is required by UNC). But I don't want to be annoying and stuff....

Taking into account that UNC-Chapel Hill typially delivers results during the first week of March, would it be impolite to email my POI and ask her about the status of my application? You know... ask her is she sees any chances for me?

In our previous correspondence she was VERY kind and a helpful. She even gave me pointers a to how to improve my SOP and agreed to "sponsor" my application (as is required by UNC). But I don't want to be annoying and stuff....

I'd probably wait until the first week of March, especially since nobody has posted an MA acceptance on GC, although I don't think that asking at this point would hurt your chances, either. Maybe you could be a bit more general, though, i.e. inquire when they are planning to send out decisions without necessarily asking directly whether she thinks you have a shot or not.

It's so quiet.

I got admitted to University of Oregon with guaranteed funding! Decisions, decisions.

Congratulations!  I would add weather into your decision making process.  Wisconsin gets ridiculous cold weather and ridiculous amounts of snow. 

Congratulations! I would add weather into your decision making process. Wisconsin gets ridiculous cold weather and ridiculous amounts of snow.

Thank you! I received my bachelor's degree from a college in Wisconsin, and yes you are totally right, the winter over there is brutal. But I'm a winter person and I really love snow (I don't like summer woops) so I guess 70+ inches of snow per year is a plus...? :P Edited by obviousbicycle

Thank you! I received my bachelor's degree from a college in Wisconsin, and yes you are totally right, the winter over there is brutal. But I'm a winter person and I really love snow (I don't like summer woops) so I guess 70+ inches of snow per year is a plus...? :P

I fall into the opposite category.  I hate cold weather and ice so that plays a big part in where I wanna live for the next 4 years.  This winter definitely convinced me to move to the SW! lol 

I have a dumb question: are we supposed to respond to the unofficial acceptance email from a POI? I still haven't made up my mind so I'm not sure if I should let my POI know that I haven't decided on attending yet?

It's probably a good idea to respond something to let them know that you have received the email. I have responded by thanking them and telling them that I was very excited about the acceptance, without necessarily saying whether I plan to enroll or not.

It's probably a good idea to respond something to let them know that you have received the email. I have responded by thanking them and telling them that I was very excited about the acceptance, without necessarily saying whether I plan to enroll or not.

I did the same thing.  I think it was all of 2 or 3 sentences.  I thanked him for his email and told him that I would probably have questions later (he ended his email by saying I could contact him with any questions). 

I just might be emailing him soon with questions seeing as I received his unofficial email.  I received the official letter from the department a couple of days later, but I STILL haven't received anything from the graduate school.  The letter was dated February 6.  I'm not sure if I should give it more time or find out what's going on. 

Edited by geographyrocks

Wave of Clark rejections...

When I see these results and the agony of us here at GradCafe I wonder how on earth my professors who attended these places (UW-Madison, Clark, UCSB, Berkeley, to name a few) got themselves in, and if they suffered as much as I am :|

Received word that UW will be yet another week.   :(

Geez! Any idea what is taking them this long? I swear, I've woken up every morning for the past 3 weeks sure that today was the day decisions would be released, and then nothing. 

Wave of Clark rejections...

When I see these results and the agony of us here at GradCafe I wonder how on earth my professors who attended these places (UW-Madison, Clark, UCSB, Berkeley, to name a few) got themselves in, and if they suffered as much as I am :

I think a lot of it, especially with the smaller programs, is somewhat like Olympic gymnastics, you have to peak (or stay in top shape) at just the right time. It seems the largest factor for admission is correspondence with department research interests. So if the faculty member you want to work with is on sabbatical/ doesn't have a grant/ is overloaded with grad students already, you're kind of out of luck for that season. 

It's also become more competitive. Many people have told me that they do not think they would have been accepted where they were if they applied now.

Geez! Any idea what is taking them this long? I swear, I've woken up every morning for the past 3 weeks sure that today was the day decisions would be released, and then nothing. 

I think a lot of it, especially with the smaller programs, is somewhat like Olympic gymnastics, you have to peak (or stay in top shape) at just the right time. It seems the largest factor for admission is correspondence with department research interests. So if the faculty member you want to work with is on sabbatical/ doesn't have a grant/ is overloaded with grad students already, you're kind of out of luck for that season. 

UW is taking an extra week because the first round of analyses by faculty members was not enough for the committee to feel like they had a good enough idea of all the applicants in order to rank them.  So they are doing another round.  Their process is pretty complex, from what I have gathered.  No news is still good news at this point.

Received my acceptance to OSU Geography-Atmospheric Science and Climate! Very ecstatic. I had counted myself out of this one. I just checked the website, so still waiting on details.