Where are you applying for 2014?

ProfMoriarty

Hi brooks40204 -- it's nice to have more people joining the discussion! Are you applying for MA/MS or PhD programs?

I have submitted my applications to U Arizona, U Illinois U-C and U Maryland BC; I'm just waiting for my LOR writers to send in their letters. 

Hi pohks! I'm applying for the MS program at the University of Nevada and the PhD programs at the other three schools.  It's still unclear as to whether it was unwise to apply directly to PhD programs without first obtaining a Masters.  I guess I'll find out in a couple of months. 

Brooks, many programs have direct-admit tracks, don't they? Thus, you should be fine even if applying without a master's degree; and you're also applying for a MS program in case the PhD programs don't work out. I'm applying for one MS program, too, as although I do have a master's degree, it is not in geography.

Obviousbicycle, I have the same problem with my LORs for one of the schools; the deadline is Dec 31, though. I'm pretty sure my professors won't submit anything before say Jan 6. Hopefully the schools are somewhat lenient with LOR deadlines.

On the other hand, today is my last day at work before a month-long vacation! I'm feeling pretty elated.

brooks, if you can apply directly to the PhD I would do it. Some schools (UGA and Syracuse come to mind) require that you first apply to the MA unless you hold one but others don't. In a lot of cases if you can apply directly to the PhD it will greatly increase your chances at funding. In my program MA applicants aren't even really considered for funding (officially, they are considered if there is left over after PhDs) and I know Rutgers is/was the same. Actually, I was accepted to Rutgers PhD last year without funding and after talking to one of the professors there she told me that there were only something like 3 or 4 funded offers last year. It's crazy competitive.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, goodness.  Anyone else feel like there is a living thing trying to escape their stomach when they think about grad school?  This whole process is so damn nerve-racking!  I'm still waiting (maybe) on a LOR that the professor already submitted, but there was a technical issue and the university didn't recieve it.  As if it wasn't hard enough to get the LOR the first time.  Luckily, the deadline isn't until 1/15.

When do you expect to hear from the programs you have applied for? So far, there are no geography acceptances posted on the results page, and I'm pretty sure I won't hear anything until February or March. Still, I'm checking my email every 20 minutes, and yesterday I freaked out as I didn't receive the weekly email from OSU (I was convinced that they had already moved my application to the rejection pile and thus had removed me from the recipient list).

Btw, I just found out that my B.Sc./M.Sc. institution had sent my transcripts to one of the universities only last week, although I had requested them to do so and paid the fee in early December. The deadline was Dec 31; luckily the university was nice enough to let me submit a scanned copy of my transcripts while waiting for the official ones to arrive.

I'm happy that I'm currently visiting my home country and have been busy spending time with friends and family. Moreover, the time difference is around 8 hours, which means that it's worthwhile to be a nervous wreck only in the evenings.

I somehow managed to hide my previous post; I'm originally from Northern Europe.

I woke up to a Ohio State MS rejection on GC results search. That nearly gave me a heart attack, but my status is still 'pending'. Looks like the game is officially on.

My OSU status is still 'pending', but on the page that provides additional information on status, it says that my application has been academically approved and is now in financial review. I haven't received any email yet whatsoever. Please, please, PLEASE accept me!

Edited by pohks

I am also interested in the human-environment relation, planning on focusing on critical/radical human geography, Marxism, and the historical-relational approach to the geo-social.  Applied to UW for geography PhD, but the other schools I applied to are all Sociology-based.  Has anyone begun to hear back from UW yet?  How competitive is that program?

Or does UW refer to University of Washington? I didn't apply there, but according to my Excel table, between 2009 and 2013 they have normally sent out their first acceptances/rejections around February 10 - 14. According to what I have heard, it is quite a competitive program, as they only accept a few students annually. However, your research interests seem to be highly compatible with the faculty's expertise.

Yesterday I received an email from OSU, saying that I had been recommended for admission by the department. There is no information related to funding available yet, but nevertheless I am feeling pretty elated!

You should definitely call them.  So far I've had an email get lost that contained the department application and LOI, 2 recommendations get lost, and 1 confused admin who didn't realize that I submitted my GRE scores in July. 

Hello Everyone!

I am applying to the University of Minnesota, University of British Columbia, University of Washington, and University of Toronto!

I have very crappy GRE scores, I work for the county of Los Angeles as a Data Analysis and I work on Critical Masculinity, Spatial Theory, and Political Economy with various  Southern California social justice movements! 

What are people's research interests?

Received an email a few hours ago... wait listed :/

Hang in there - hopefully they'll give you good news soon!

Hello Everyone!

I am applying to the University of Minnesota, University of British Columbia, University of Washington, and University of Toronto!

I have very crappy GRE scores, I work for the county of Los Angeles as a Data Analysis and I work on Critical Masculinity, Spatial Theory, and Political Economy with various  Southern California social justice movements! 

Hi Extexan, it's nice to have you joining the discussion! It's been rather quiet lately, but hopefully the conversation is about to become a little bit livelier - at least there seems to be some movement going on according to the results search page. Are your research interests aligned with what you are doing now? Broadly speaking I'm interested in environment-society interactions.

I just received an email saying that I had been accepted to one of the schools, and they'd grant me an RA position. It's not a geography program, though, but related to my previous field - a huge relief nevertheless.

Congratulations everyone! I'm still waiting... :\

I think my research interest is slightly different from any of yours... I'm interested in cartography and GIS - mainly cartographic journalism, web cartography & geovisualization. :)

Edited by obviousbicycle

My interests are human-environment relations, political ecology, feminism and ANT (as theoretical approaches). I'm also interested in the history of science as an analytical framework to study conservation and the environment...

However I also applied to an environmental studies program emphasizing in development :P