Where are you applying for 2014?

ProfMoriarty

Hi friends,

I have some decisions about two  Geography Phds. Choice between University of Toronto / University of Western Ontario. I have a confirmed funding amount from UofT but not yet from UWO because they are trying to improve the offer.

You can see my dilemma right? What would you do and why? If you are not sure, tell me what more information you would need to make the decision?

I somehow sense that you would like to go to UWO, right? You said that you found UofT "intimidating" whereas you really liked the lab at the UWO; however, I noticed that you wrote elsewhere that you did your undergrad at the department of political science of UofT. Have you had/will you have a chance to visit the department of geography before you make the decision? Maybe you could try to email grad students who are currently enrolled in the program and ask them what they think about the department, etc.

Although I am normally not a big fan of rankings, in this case I would probably take them into account at least to some extent. UofT is nationally ranked as #1, compared to #14 of UWO. According to ARWU, UofT is number 25 in the world wherease UWO is unranked (#2XX according to some other rankings). The geography program of UofT is very well ranked, too, and I would think that, in general, the differences between the two universities are drastic enough to affect your employment prospects after you graduate.

Moreover, at UofT there are 4 faculty members you could see yourself working with. Although 2 at UWO is definitely better than 1, there could always be some personal chemistry/retirement/other issues that leave you not-so-well-off in terms of supervision. Are the 2 faculty at UWO tenured?

That said, I would probably go with UofT. I'd visit the department, though, if possible. Would you choose one of these schools over the US and European universities you applied to?

P.S. Congrats on all your acceptances - you are really rocking it!

The information I received was that only the very top applicants (those they sent to the OSU Graduate School as Fellowship nominees) have been admitted. The remaining applicants who have not yet been denied do not have a concrete date of notification. It all depends on how many of the department's nominees received funding from OSU, and how many spots/departmental funding remains. When I click on more information it just says something about my application has been sent to the department for review. While the website says applicants are notified by March of their status, I do not know if this still applied to the pending applicants. I believe University Fellowships aren't granted until mid-March, so this could be a long and tortuous process haha. I hope you receive good news soon.

I was nominated for a fellowship, and I'm anxiously waiting for the results. Next Monday (02/17, which is a national holiday, btw), the departments will receive a confidential list of awardees, after which they have the option to reallocate funding. The Graduate School will send letters to successful applicants on March 3. Hopefully you'll receive good news shortly after that!

Who wants to claim the UNC-CH acceptance??

CONGRATS!

Funny that they sent out acceptances yesterday when the university was closed (it still remains closed today). Maybe the DGS/some professors were working nevertheless. Congrats!

Congrats, obviousbicycle.... can't say I'm not jealous :P

Congrats, obviousbicycle!!

And paolaplease, I'm sorry to hear that :(. I hope you receive good news soon! Have you heard back from Minnesota yet?

Only that I've been waitlisted...

Do waitlisted people get accepted often there?

Only that I've been waitlisted...

Do waitlisted people get accepted often there?

I don't know, but it definitely was a good sign that you received an encouraging email from your POI. I'll keep my fingers (and toes) crossed for you!

Rejected @ UW - Madison. That was my dream school :(

Don't worry sounds like you still have a few schools to get back to you on the list that are equally as amazing! Besides no program is perfect :)

I was just accepted to the MA program in Geography at the Maxwell School at Syracuse University! I'm ecstatic. I will receive full funding through a TAship, a 17.5k/yr stipend, and summer research funding. : )

Congrats!!!

Waitlisted at U of MN.  Was notified Jan 26th, and received a second waitlist email on Feb 7th.  Congratz to those with offers.  I applied to 3 other institutions, but still hoping for a spot in Minnesota to work with POI. 

Edited by Shamrocks

LeoBixby: Indeed! 

For all those who applied to U of Washington, did you have prior contact with a professor? Or interviews? Getting worried, since I applied but didn't reach out to faculty, and haven't heard anything at all!  :(

For all those who applied to U of Washington, did you have prior contact with a professor? Or interviews? Getting worried, since I applied but didn't reach out to faculty, and haven't heard anything at all!   :(

I reached out to several faculty but wasn't able to make a visit which usually kills the admissions process in my opinion. I received positive feedback on my Statement of Purpose though.  But, I feel my focus on women of color and queer ontologies/epistemologies doesn't fit well with the department. 

For all those who applied to U of Washington, did you have prior contact with a professor? Or interviews? Getting worried, since I applied but didn't reach out to faculty, and haven't heard anything at all!   :(

Kay123: For my part, I did make contact with a certain professor and was actually referred to him by another professor at a different program, whom he knows.  Still have not idea if that was an advantage or not, because I haven't heard back from my POI in quite some time.  It is always a plus to make contact early on, but not a necessity, especially if you have a really solid record.  I am one of those with a solid writing sample, a Master's in another related discipline, and good letters, sop pretty solid, but really weak GRE's and only a 3.7 GPA, so making contact is a must for me.  Also, no need to be worried just yet, because I did hear back from the graduate director and he said "we will send out our decisions next week, I hope."  Geez, another week of staring into the abyss.  YUCK!  Hang in there.

I reached out to several faculty but wasn't able to make a visit which usually kills the admissions process in my opinion. I received positive feedback on my Statement of Purpose though.  But, I feel my focus on women of color and queer ontologies/epistemologies doesn't fit well with the department. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the need to go visit, especially if you are more interested in the Master's track.  Bigger deal to visit if you are trying to get into the PhD program.