Where are you applying for 2014?

ProfMoriarty

So stressed about this whole process! I closed my eyes after the last application was submitted in January, and wasn't expecting to hear anything until March, though February seems to have been the month of news... Hope to have idea of viable choices by the end of this week!

Tell me about it... Have you heard anything from UIUC yet?

Congrats to all those accepted to University of Washington! I got a rejection this morning.. very disappointed but also determined to get it right. I appreciate all the support everyone on this forum has offered in one way or another, and wish everyone the best going forward! 

Wow did you guys see the latest post about OSU on the result page? Terrible.

Yes, that was the first thing I saw when I woke up this morning, and it totally freaked me out. I doubt that they had promised to give her a fellowship, though. And why would somebody turn down other offers before actually having the offer letter in hand (unless they were obliged to do so due to a deadline, of course)?

P.S. That wasn't my SO who wrote that post :lol:

If all of what OSU-poster said is true, that is very suspicious behavior for a potential adviser.  I have never heard of an academic asking a student to turn down all her other offers with a confirmed appointment.  That is why, I do not think it all went down like that- must be some miscommunication on the students part.

Yes, that was the first thing I saw when I woke up this morning, and it totally freaked me out. I doubt that they had promised to give her a fellowship, though. And why would somebody turn down other offers before actually having the offer letter in hand (unless they were obliged to do so due to a deadline, of course)?

P.S. That wasn't my SO who wrote that post :lol:

This.  I've alluded before that I sort of have an in at the OSU department.  I'd be interested to hear names to confirm what happened.  I was in the room when fellowships were released and I highly doubt anybody was promised anything.  If somebody rejected other programs without something in writing, I'd find it hard to be sympathetic.

Terrible.

UNC rejection came in this morning. That was the last of the US schools I applied to. Now all my hopes are set on Oxford, which is a really long shot (still waiting to hear back from Melbourne's Master of the Environment program, but I don't really want to go there).

I guess I can declare this application season over and unsuccessful.

Paolaplease, sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll receive good news from Oxford soon! And, as obviousbicycle asked, aren't you still wait listed at Minnesota?

Contacted my POI at UW last night to touch base about funding... He told me that he won't know more about his grant status until late in the semester (which I guess end of April or May?). What makes it tricky is that I have to respond to Oregon's offer by April 15. He also recommends me to go with the offers with guaranteed funding instead of the one without. Gahhhh

On a different note, woah so many UCSB rejections :o

Edited by obviousbicycle

Contacted my POI at UW last night to touch base about funding... He told me that he won't know more about his grant status until late in the semester (which I guess end of April or May?). What makes it tricky is that I have to respond to Oregon's offer by April 15. He also recommends me to go with the offers with guaranteed funding instead of the one without. Gahhhh

On a different note, woah so many UCSB rejections :o

Any word on PSU funding?  I know the email said that it is based on either turn-downs or grants being funded but am curious if you have heard any more recent news.

If they are waiting on NSF funding, those weren't due until mid-February and results are usually announced right around three months later. I would agree with obviousbicycle's POI and take a funded offer if you have one on April 15th. Until then, hold tight and wait and see what happens. It's possible too that someone with departmental funding gets the GRFP and frees up a funding line. I know we have people waiting on that here.

Any word on PSU funding?  I know the email said that it is based on either turn-downs or grants being funded but am curious if you have heard any more recent news.

I was wondering the same thing. Has anyone reached out to the Dept, DGS, or a POI to ask about funding or position on the waitlist?

I was wondering the same thing. Has anyone reached out to the Dept, DGS, or a POI to ask about funding or position on the waitlist?

Nope, haven't heard back from them since the day I was notified. I don't expect much from PSU since the email I received doesn't sound very optimistic...

"I need to inform you that there are others ahead of you on this waiting list..."

"Regrettably, there is a chance that we will not, in the end, be able to make you a funded offer..."

kev0476's email sounds a little more positive than mine. But I think I'll shoot them an email anyway.

If they are waiting on NSF funding, those weren't due until mid-February and results are usually announced right around three months later. I would agree with obviousbicycle's POI and take a funded offer if you have one on April 15th. Until then, hold tight and wait and see what happens. It's possible too that someone with departmental funding gets the GRFP and frees up a funding line. I know we have people waiting on that here.

I'm not sure what kind of grant my POI is waiting for but he did tell me that while he remains hopeful, there are possibilities that the application will fail, or something along that line.

I still have roughly a month to make up my mind though. Hopefully there will be more good news coming as things progress (I am still waiting to hear back from one more school).

Edited by obviousbicycle

A professor at Minnesota emailed me last night, basically telling me not to lose hope of getting off the waitlist and being offered admission. He said he is interested in having someone working Latin America and has offered to co-advise me (should I get an offer, of course), seeing that my POI is already supervising a lot of students.

This is pleasant :)

A professor at Minnesota emailed me last night, basically telling me not to lose hope of getting off the waitlist and being offered admission. He said he is interested in having someone working Latin America and has offered to co-advise me (should I get an offer, of course), seeing that my POI is already supervising a lot of students.

That's great, paolaplease! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

That is very exciting!! 

That is great news, paolaplease!

Nope, haven't heard back from them since the day I was notified. I don't expect much from PSU since the email I received doesn't sound very optimistic...

"I need to inform you that there are others ahead of you on this waiting list..."

"Regrettably, there is a chance that we will not, in the end, be able to make you a funded offer..."

kev0476's email sounds a little more positive than mine. But I think I'll shoot them an email anyway.

I'm not sure what kind of grant my POI is waiting for but he did tell me that while he remains hopeful, there are possibilities that the application will fail, or something along that line.

I still have roughly a month to make up my mind though. Hopefully there will be more good news coming as things progress (I am still waiting to hear back from one more school).

Granted I am not in Geography at Portland State, but I am in Political Science, finishing my Masters.  I can tell you that there are funding woes all over the school's departments.  Unless you are planning on professor-gotten grants from NSF or something, you can bet that departmental funding is at a bare minimum this year.  The teachers union just authorized a strike.  We don't know if it will happen yet, but it's likely.  Major issues going on at PSU.  Great school though!  And the geography department is amazing.