Where are you applying for 2014?

ProfMoriarty

Granted I am not in Geography at Portland State, but I am in Political Science, finishing my Masters.  I can tell you that there are funding woes all over the school's departments.  Unless you are planning on professor-gotten grants from NSF or something, you can bet that departmental funding is at a bare minimum this year.  The teachers union just authorized a strike.  We don't know if it will happen yet, but it's likely.  Major issues going on at PSU.  Great school though!  And the geography department is amazing.  

Penn State!  Although with the sequester hitting I'm sure everyone is experiencing funding issues.

Congrats on all the acceptances rolling in and keeping my fingers crossed for everyone still waiting on the next bit of good news!

I'm currently entertaining funded offers from Washington and Oregon (so pumped!), and planning to visit both programs late March/ early April. Anyone else taking a trip to Eugene or Seattle? 

Also, I'm kind of out of the loop as far as the whole grad school game goes and essentially applied to programs based on corresponding faculty research interests. Any insight on how these programs stack up (human geography) and what factors should be weighed when deciding on a program (aside from faculty matches, funding, and location)? 

The best answer I got regarding Penn State U funding from my Point of Contact:

The wait list is a selective group but it is hard for me to get a sense what the chances are that you will get funding.

He said he would be asking around the campus a bit more when he returns to campus.  Hope to find out more information soon.

Have any UW folks received their official funding information yet?  According to my original email, they were supposed to send it out last week.  

Have any UW folks received their official funding information yet?  According to my original email, they were supposed to send it out last week.  

Nope! I was notified through email that was receiving full funding via a TA-ship, but still letter with the actual amount/ details. They did however manage to send enrollment deposit information....

Pretty much all geography programs seem to have funding issues this year..

There are a couple of UIUC rejections on the results search page; I haven't heard anything yet, but at this point am assuming a rejection. However, a rejection wouldn't sting that bad, as I did, after all, win a fellowship at OSU. I'm so grateful and exited.

Just received an email from UNCG and they told me that I've been accepted to their program. They haven't made the funding decision yet but it is very likely that I'll be offered one.

That means I've heard back from all schools that I applied to -- 3 admissions (1 full funding, 2 funding TBA) and 1 waitlisted for a funded offer. Turns out that the results are way better than I expected :) I should try being more optimistic from now on; I always underestimate myself which isn't helpful most of the time :lol:

Just received an email from UNCG and they told me that I've been accepted to their program. They haven't made the funding decision yet but it is very likely that I'll be offered one.

That means I've heard back from all schools that I applied to -- 3 admissions (1 full funding, 2 funding TBA) and 1 waitlisted for a funded offer. Turns out that the results are way better than I expected :) I should try being more optimistic from now on; I always underestimate myself which isn't helpful most of the time :lol:

Congrats!  Hope funding comes through for you on UW-M and UNCG

I have formally accepted the offer at University of Washington!!!  It took me forever to make my decision, but it really feels good to know where I am going finally.  Looking forward to the April 4th visit.

Hi all, I am an applicant for the PhD Geography program at Arizona state university. I wanted to ask if anyone from this forum applied there?  My current application status on their website shows "in review". But I see a posting at the results page (@thegradcafe) that someone got accepted on the 5th of  March. Have they already rolled out the results ? Please let me know if anyone from this forum has applied to ASU and is awaiting decision. 

From what I've heard from others, Arizona State is having a bit of funding issues.  It may be that they're currently looking for funding for you.  At this point in the season, it is completely acceptable to email or call (I hear calling gets better results) to ask if decisions are still being made.

I wonder if there is a such a big issue with funding each year...

Thanks for the reply @geogaphyrocks. I just hope that its funding that is causing the delay. I dont have any other option than asu and I am really counting on their positive reply.

Has anyone heard about any movement on the waitlists? I know of a little movement with Penn State (one, maybe two turndowns), but haven't heard of anything else.

Minnesota should be giving wait list news next week :)

Has anyone heard about any movement on the waitlists? I know of a little movement with Penn State (one, maybe two turndowns), but haven't heard of anything else.

Where did you hear about this movement at Penn state from?

Where did you hear about this movement at Penn state from?

I heard about a turndown from an accepted student and from a POI. So...at most this could be two turndowns, but there's a good chance the POI was referring to the same student.

to whoever posted about UBC ---- I'm totally with you.  If I get accepted to UBC, I have a huge decision to make.  I got accepted to University of Leeds and Aberystwyth University and its already tough.  Still waiting on UBC, Exeter, and Durham. 

Also, this just got posted from the Geography PG Twitter account from UBC... http://blogs.ubc.ca/geognews/2014/04/02/graduate-application-review/

Apparently a lot fewer applications than normal.