Where are you applying for 2014?

ProfMoriarty

Hi everyone,

I got three fully funded offers and I am in two minds. One is U of Alabama. Also, I have been accepted by the U of Minnesota and from what I know now, I am going to be a research assistant in a very exciting project. I learned about my acceptance in late Janurary, so I have had enough time to kind of "fall in love" with the program and what it has to offer. On the other hand, there's that late (postive, though) response about funding from Ohio State which has mixed everything up because I had pretty much set my mind into going to MN in the fall.

How do you folks choose between seemingly equal offers?

Hi everyone,

I got three fully funded offers and I am in two minds. One is U of Alabama. Also, I have been accepted by the U of Minnesota and from what I know now, I am going to be a research assistant in a very exciting project. I learned about my acceptance in late Janurary, so I have had enough time to kind of "fall in love" with the program and what it has to offer. On the other hand, there's that late (postive, though) response about funding from Ohio State which has mixed everything up because I had pretty much set my mind into going to MN in the fall.

How do you folks choose between seemingly equal offers?

I'd probably evaluate the offers in terms of research fit, whether the focus areas of the programs are compatible with your interests, the POI(s) you'd be working with, etc. Either way, I don't think you can go very wrong. 

I'll be attending the Ohio State University, and I'm beyond excited. Still haven't heard back from UIUC or U of Arizona, but I wouldn't choose either one of them over OSU.

I'd probably evaluate the offers in terms of research fit, whether the focus areas of the programs are compatible with your interests, the POI(s) you'd be working with, etc. Either way, I don't think you can go very wrong. 

I'll be attending the Ohio State University, and I'm beyond excited. Still haven't heard back from UIUC or U of Arizona, but I wouldn't choose either one of them over OSU.

Thanks for your comment, pohks. When did you hear from the Ohio State? Did they offer you funding right away?

I haven't heard from just one school yet - Arizona State, and I have no idea why it's taking so long.  

I just got notified that I have been put up for fellowship candidacy.  They will have the fellowship decision soon but in the meantime they have offered me a TA with a tuition waver + stipend.

Looks like I am headed to Penn State!

Thanks for your comment, pohks. When did you hear from the Ohio State? Did they offer you funding right away?

I haven't heard from just one school yet - Arizona State, and I have no idea why it's taking so long.  

Hi Seas. I guess I am on the same boat as u are 4 ASU. I called them today to ask about the decisions. They told me that they already have made some decisions and for those who haven't heard yet will be informed by the end of this month.   

Hi Seas. I guess I am on the same boat as u are 4 ASU. I called them today to ask about the decisions. They told me that they already have made some decisions and for those who haven't heard yet will be informed by the end of this month.   

Hi bpurban. I guess I am so fixated on admissions and universities now that I dreamed last night about receiving an email from ASU telling me "we're in the process of admitting students. you should expect your decision soon." Is ASU your top choice?  I assume it's not a very good sign that we've yet to hear from ASU, is it?

I just got notified that I have been put up for fellowship candidacy.  They will have the fellowship decision soon but in the meantime they have offered me a TA with a tuition waver + stipend.

Looks like I am headed to Penn State!

Congratulations, kev0476! What's your area of interest?

Congratulations, kev0476! What's your area of interest?

Physical geography and vegetation responses to climate change. Want to end up doing climate change adaptation and using land management tactics to preserve flora, fauna and humans.

I have connections to do all of this research within Bhutan. So I maybe switching to a PhD especially if I have a fellowship.

Hi bpurban. I guess I am so fixated on admissions and universities now that I dreamed last night about receiving an email from ASU telling me "we're in the process of admitting students. you should expect your decision soon." Is ASU your top choice?  I assume it's not a very good sign that we've yet to hear from ASU, is it?

Well in my case ASU is the only school that I applied to and I am waiting anxiously for their decision.

Also, my application was not forwarded to the department on time due to lack of some required documentation. It is quite annoying but they said that since my transcripts don't mention about the date of award of degree they cannot forward my application. And since I never opened my transcripts--out of the sealed envelope--I didn't know of whether there is any mention or not. Nevertheless, I had to aproach my previous universities again and arrange for appropriate documentation. And this whole process took me a month and delayed my application.

I wish you all the best. 

I don't know why, but I feel like I should accept an offer closer to April 15th than now. :mellow:

Are you still waiting on U W-M and UNCG funding decisions, or would you pick Oregon regardless? You still have 5 days to make up your mind.

I just received an email from U Arizona, saying that I had been accepted to their PhD program with full funding. Totally unexpected at this point. Honestly, I don't know how I as an international student with no background directly in geography ended up getting 4 fully funded admissions.  :blink: 

Are you still waiting on U W-M and UNCG funding decisions, or would you pick Oregon regardless? You still have 5 days to make up your mind.

I just received an email from U Arizona, saying that I had been accepted to their PhD program with full funding. Totally unexpected at this point. Honestly, I don't know how I as an international student with no background directly in geography ended up getting 4 fully funded admissions.  :blink: 

I will pick Oregon regardless but you know, when I have options in my hands, I just want to make full use of the time given and think about those options wisely... just in case if anything happens on April 14 that I will have to change my mind :P

Congratulations on getting accepted to Arizona!

I will pick Oregon regardless but you know, when I have options in my hands, I just want to make full use of the time given and think about those options wisely... just in case if anything happens on April 14 that I will have to change my mind :P

Congratulations on getting accepted to Arizona!

That is smart - you never know. ;) 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm on the environmental analysis side of environmental studies.  I'm starting to think it would have been better to have an atmospheric science undergrad, but I can't change that now. 

And although I'm on the science side, I may go to policy in the future.  The science part of my brain wants to do nothing but research while the humanitarian side of my brain wants to change the world. 

I'm late to party seeing as you're already in a program, but you sound like you would have been a solid candidate for UMD-CP.  The department is big on remote sensing/LU-LC change and have a very close relationship with NASA.  

I'm late to party seeing as you're already in a program, but you sound like you would have been a solid candidate for UMD-CP.  The department is big on remote sensing/LU-LC change and have a very close relationship with NASA.  

Thanks for that, but I don't really have any desire to study either Remote Sensing or land use change nor do I have a background in either.  They probably would have laughed my application out the door.