Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2014

RetJitter

Anyone apply to/hear from UC Davis?

Also, does anyone know the approximate acceptance rate of people who were interviewed at Columbia and MIT?

A probably-unreliable estimate of MIT's interviewee admission rate can be obtained from two pieces of info.

First, from the BCS FAQ:

"We receive over 400 applications per year, and of these, we admit approximately 40 students and enroll between 10 and 20 students. The number of students admitted into the graduate program annually is around five percent of the total number of applications received."

Ignore the fact that part of that statement doesn't quite make sense. Second, from the 2007 Spring department newsletter:

"Interview Day brought 50 candidates for the graduate program to Cambridge for an intensive schedule of meetings, lab tours, and presentations."

If you're willing to make some important assumptions (e.g. the interviewee pool size is independent of the applicant pool size, which has verifiably increased since 2007), then you've got your estimate: an 80% interviewee admission rate for MIT's BCS program. Needless to say, take that with a generous helping of salt. 

Does anyone know if UPenn NGG is done sending interview invites? I only see one person in this thread received an invite so I'm hoping there will be a second wave....!

Edited by Souzou

If you applied to the Yale Neuroscience track - do you know if all invites have been sent out? On the results page, I recently saw someone received a phone call from them. 

Thanks!

Though I can't be sure, I suspect that they have, unfortunately. Previous years' results suggest that Yale neuro issues only a single wave of phone invitations, never extending later than Jan. 6. While that does technically leave this Monday as a final possible invitation date, the program coordinator already sent out a lengthy group email to interviewees on Friday afternoon. It wouldn't make sense to send this message twice over such a short period, as opposed to sending it only once the final phone invitation has been issued.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, Daisy. Best of luck.

Throwing in my solidarity with all of you, and if anybody is attending the Feb. 6-7 NYU interview, hope to see you there!

I'm going to the Jan 30-31 session, too bad I'll be missing you! Anyone else I can expect to see there?

AxonAxoff, thanks for the info about MIT interviews, I will take it with quite a large heap of salt.

Is anyone else here attending the Jan 23-25 Columbia interviews?

Does anyone know if UCSD plans to send out more invites? I know some were sent out mid-December, but their website says that people will be notified by mid-January.  

Does anyone know if UCSD plans to send out more invites? I know some were sent out mid-December, but their website says that people will be notified by mid-January.  

Where did you see that UCSD Neuroscience sent out invites? There's nothing in this thread or on the results page, so I assumed invites would go out mid-January (seems to be the pattern from previous years). 

Where did you see that UCSD Neuroscience sent out invites? There's nothing in this thread or on the results page, so I assumed invites would go out mid-January (seems to be the pattern from previous years). 

For what it's worth I don't think UCSD Neuroscience is under the UCSD BMS umbrella because they appear to have separate interview dates. The Neurosciences program has their dates listed on their website as March 5-7 but according to some posters, BMS interviews are Feb 6-9 and Feb 27-March 2. This is hopeful since I haven't seen any UCSD neuro invites out yet and since their weekend is a little later, invites didn't really need to be sent out prior to the holidays.

Hey guys, I'm jumping in pretty late! I applied to around 10 places in the NYC/NJ/PA area, haven't heard back yet :(

Also was told that Rutgers Neuro department had a sit down today re: invites.

Yeah, I'm curious about WashU as well :( , it looks like in past years they sent out interviews this week.

Also, does anyone know if NYU has sent out anything for the CNS (neural science) program (not the neuroscience & physiology program)?

Thanks!

Hey NeuroGirl, I'm also hoping to receive an interview invitation from UMiami PIBS. How did you get an interview so early? When I called, they said they would be sendng them out "after the holidays," whatever the hell that means. 

PS: fistbump for Florida residents. I live in Miami, and know a ton of people in Tally, at UF, and at UM! Are you at FSU? 

Hi moonchild! I sent most of my applications in the first week of November and a few more a couple weeks after that. I think having sent them in so early is the reason I heard back so fast =) I also had an interview/tour with my PI at UM over thanksgiving break, which probably didn't hurt either. I have a friend that got an invite yesterday, though, so they're definitely still sending them out! 

Yay Florida!!! Yes, I go to FSU. Last night was the most insane night here! Fireworks, people doing doughnuts in the streets, parties all night... haha I'm pretty tired today  :P That game was worth it, though! 

Does anyone know if UCLA or Emory are done sending out invites?

Based on the email that Emory sent to current students, it looks like they're done with invites for on campus interviews. I think there's a chance that could change if a number of applicants declined. Sorry I don't have better news

Looks like another wave of northwestern NUIN invites might be going out again based on the results page - anyone heard anything?

Are they really? That's sad...I applied there but I haven't heard anything yet. Good to know places are doing multiple waves though!

Hi moonchild! I sent most of my applications in the first week of November and a few more a couple weeks after that. I think having sent them in so early is the reason I heard back so fast =) I also had an interview/tour with my PI at UM over thanksgiving break, which probably didn't hurt either. I have a friend that got an invite yesterday, though, so they're definitely still sending them out! 

Yay Florida!!! Yes, I go to FSU. Last night was the most insane night here! Fireworks, people doing doughnuts in the streets, parties all night... haha I'm pretty tired today  :P That game was worth it, though! 

Crap..... If your friend got one, I'm a little concerned that I haven't...... Hope they send them out on a rolling/wave basis.......... Maybe I'll call tomorrow.

And yes, my facebook news feed was blowing up about that game! Congrats!