SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2014-2015

Konstantin

Until we receive our letters, we don't know a lot of that information. When I lost the last two years, the letter listed my score, number of applicants, number of winners, etc. 

So far, all I have is one email from the graduate awards office telling me that I won. The email lists no other information, and the person who sent it said all the details would be in the SSHRC letter. 

Also, for those curious, the email from my school does not state to keep the information secret. I gather that my department knew at the same time that I knew, as they were cc'ed in the email. 

If the email had said to keep quiet I would have. 

Yeah, I just mean many members have received their letters and have remained quiet on the details.

Not sure about US taxes but I know in Canada even though you have to declare all scholarship monies, you do not pay taxes on them. I realized this for the first time this year when I was filing my taxes and none of the scholarship monies I was awarded (which included two MA SSHRC installments) were counted towards the amount of my income that was taxable.

Until we receive our letters, we don't know a lot of that information. When I lost the last two years, the letter listed my score, number of applicants, number of winners, etc. 

So far, all I have is one email from the graduate awards office telling me that I won. The email lists no other information, and the person who sent it said all the details would be in the SSHRC letter. 

Also, for those curious, the email from my school does not state to keep the information secret. I gather that my department knew at the same time that I knew, as they were cc'ed in the email. 

If the email had said to keep quiet I would have. 

There's a provision in the official letter asking the applicants not to disclose the information until the "formal public announcement," whatever that could mean (I don't recall that SSHRC ever made a public announcement that disclosed the applicants' scores anyway). Some applicants who use aliases on this forum, which guarantee anonymity, posted details of their applications. I'll keep my score in confidence for now, but I think I'm allowed to say that there were 1947 applications, and 1010 of those received awards.

There's a provision in the official letter asking the applicants not to disclose the information until the "formal public announcement," whatever that could mean (I don't recall that SSHRC ever made a public announcement that disclosed the applicants' scores anyway). Some applicants who use aliases on this forum, which guarantee anonymity, posted details of their applications. I'll keep my score in confidence for now, but I think I'm allowed to say that there were 1947 applications, and 1010 of those received awards.

This bolded line! Now I wonder if I shouldn't have posted. Hopefully I'm anonymous enough on this forum and my score doesn't give away my id to sshrc. That said, according to that bolded line we shouldn't even be sharing that we won the award, let alone the details of it. Given the explosion of twitter and facebook posts I've seen though I'm not terribly worried. SSHRC (I imagine) has better things to do than to police the internet (not to mention all the universities that told their students their award status in advance of the formal letters arriving and even being mailed).

Exactly, I am not really worried about it. But at the same time I took my score down so...I guess I am slightly worried. 

I passed the amount of time you can edit your post in.... I checked lol (unless there is a magical way to do it that I am unaware of).

How does it work for those who win an award? You don't get the full amount, right? From what I understand, a portion of it goes to replace the amount that the university is currently contributing to your financial package. Is that correct? And do people who win either the fellowship of the CGS continue to work as TAs? Or does SSHRC most often replace TAships, to make them available for students without additional funding?

How does it work for those who win an award? You don't get the full amount, right? From what I understand, a portion of it goes to replace the amount that the university is currently contributing to your financial package. Is that correct? And do people who win either the fellowship of the CGS continue to work as TAs? Or does SSHRC most often replace TAships, to make them available for students without additional funding?

All this varies according to the particular universities. Some let you keep your internal awards, others do not, or at least have caps on the amount of internal awards you are allowed to keep when you win large external awards. 

TAships, also, vary according to school/department. Though, I imagine if you win a CGS you might not want to do any TAing if you can avoid it! Some internal fellowships are contingent on TAships, so again, it would depend. 

Not sure about US taxes but I know in Canada even though you have to declare all scholarship monies, you do not pay taxes on them. I realized this for the first time this year when I was filing my taxes and none of the scholarship monies I was awarded (which included two MA SSHRC installments) were counted towards the amount of my income that was taxable.

I'm also unaware of the way it works in the US, but just to clarify this for those in Canada: You do not have to declare scholarship money if you are registered in full time studies. The amount you earn from scholarships will appear on your T4A, and a copy of this form is sent from your employer (i.e., the University) to the Canada Revenue Agency. You don't have to declare or claim any of it. If you are not in full time studies, then you do have to claim it.

Also, there is an exception to this rule which states that if your income from your scholarship money is wayyy above what you need to pay your expenses to put you through your education program, then you do have to claim the excess amount. I doubt anyone does this, but I guess this is something they could catch you on if you were to ever get audited.

Edited by randomness

I'm also unaware of the way it works in the US, but just to clarify this for those in Canada: You do not have to declare scholarship money if you are registered in full time studies. The amount you earn from scholarships will appear on your T4A, and a copy of this form is sent from your employer (i.e., the University) to the Canada Revenue Agency. You don't have to declare or claim any of it. If you are not in full time studies, then you do have to claim it.

Also, there is an exception to this rule which states that if your income from your scholarship money is wayyy above what you need to pay your expenses to put you through your education program, then you do have to claim the excess amount. I doubt anyone does this, but I guess this is something they could catch you on if you were to ever get audited.

Good to know. I file online with ufile and that program has a spot for me to fill in the numbers from my T4As, so I just fill it in (what I mean by 'declare') and then noticed that those amounts were not counted towards my total taxable income (from TAing, RAing, etc.).

Good to know. I file online with ufile and that program has a spot for me to fill in the numbers from my T4As, so I just fill it in (what I mean by 'declare') and then noticed that those amounts were not counted towards my total taxable income (from TAing, RAing, etc.).

Yeah I also use an online filing program and last year I noticed that there was a line to fill in my scholarship info, but every time I did, it would say that I ended up owing over $1000. So I called the revenue agency and they said that I don't even need to enter it in if I'm a full time student.

But, I'm not an expert in taxes and it's entirely possible that the person on the phone was mistaken or I misinterpreted them so this post isn't mean to be 'tax advice' - just sharing my experience!

Yeah, I just mean many members have received their letters and have remained quiet on the details.

Oh, right. I wonder then, if others who heard by email and/or a person first were told not to say anything? 

Received an email from my current school saying I have been waitlisted for a fellowship. I am currently finishing up a Masters and will be starting my PhD in the States next year. I haven't received my official letter yet. Fingers crossed for some waitlist movement!

Received an email from my current school saying I have been waitlisted for a fellowship. I am currently finishing up a Masters and will be starting my PhD in the States next year. I haven't received my official letter yet. Fingers crossed for some waitlist movement!

I hope it works out, theogeek!

Whoever posted that SSHRC could make a fortune by emailing results for a nominal fee hit the nail on the head. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear.

Yeah, really! Well, will today be the day? Hopefully we hear a lot of good news in the coming hours. The wait has been excruciating, right? Worst of all (relatively speaking) is the thought that the letter might come...tomorrow.

Sorry despejo, hopefully you'll hear good news soon!

Good Luck today, Safferz. I hope the donkey cart arrives with good news!

Thanks! Hopefully there's something in my mailbox when I head home at 4... but the realization that my comprehensive exam is *tomorrow* has finally hit me harder than my SSHRC anxiety, lol. My letter can arrive tomorrow afternoon and I don't think I'd mind, in fact it might actually be preferable to know after my exam. Hmmm...

Sorry despejo, hopefully you'll hear good news soon!

Thanks! Hopefully there's something in my mailbox when I head home at 4... but the realization that my comprehensive exam is *tomorrow* has finally hit me harder than my SSHRC anxiety, lol. My letter can arrive tomorrow afternoon and I don't think I'd mind, in fact it might actually be preferable to know after my exam. Hmmm...

Well, I hope it is good news either way. I am not sure how I would cope with a similar situation.

Well. I'm just outside of the GTA and mail just came -- no letter yet. Anyone else in Ontario still waiting?

Seems strange that you still have not received a letter in Toronto. I send letters to Toronto quite often and they usually arrive in 1-2 business days. Perhaps there is an issue with the letter getting lost/incorrectly addressed by SSHRC? Who knows. 

Well. I'm just outside of the GTA and mail just came -- no letter yet. Anyone else in Ontario still waiting?

I think that's perfectly normal. I'm in Ottawa and I received my letter a day later than someone else who also lives in Ottawa. You, most likely, will have yours in your mailbox tomorrow.