SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2014-2015

Konstantin

I was a little too optimistic to think the SSHRC announcement yesterday would allow me to focus on my work. Even though there's really no way the letter can be in US before Monday, I'm just as distracted and unfocused today as I was earlier this week. I need to get it together because I have comps on Tuesday  :mellow:

I was a little too optimistic to think the SSHRC announcement yesterday would allow me to focus on my work. Even though there's really no way the letter can be in US before Monday, I'm just as distracted and unfocused today as I was earlier this week. I need to get it together because I have comps on Tuesday  :mellow:

Ugh I have a paper due monday but zero ability to focus

Best of luck to everyone waiting!

I see a lot of conjecture about what individuals in respective institutions/departments may or may not know about results, and I just wanted to draw everyone's attention to this:

http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/policies-politiques/f_notification-b_avis-eng.aspx

That's a policy from SSHRC regarding the notification of competition results. The relevant blurb states that:

"Individuals who apply through a Canadian university for either a master’s scholarship or a doctoral award will first receive notice of the results of their application through their university’s faculty of graduate studies or equivalent. In addition, SSHRC informs these applicants in writing of the outcome of their applications.

Those who apply directly to SSHRC receive notice of the results of their application directly from the Council."

I did apply through my Canadian university. I think that part of their reason for notification is that they're adjudicating OGS right now as well (part of the message to me stated that, in light of the SSHRC news, my app was being removed from the OGS pool). I know that that's not the most satisfying answer, given that the department/institution-level decision-making seems to vary, but it always makes me feel better to know there's a policy.

Hmm, are you sure they don't mean that your University will notify you if it is sent to Ottawa (i.e., after the first round)?

Hmm, are you sure they don't mean that your University will notify you if it is sent to Ottawa (i.e., after the first round)?

That's exactly what it means. The keyword I highlight in bold is important: "Individuals who apply through a Canadian university for either a master’s scholarship or a doctoral award will first receive notice of the results of their application through their university’s faculty of graduate studies or equivalent." This means universities will inform applicants if their applications were entered into the national competition, and this selection took place in Dec/Jan. 

Later, "SSHRC informs these applicants in writing of the outcome of their applications." This is what we will be receiving shortly. 

I think surefire misread the information contained in the link she posted.

Edited by Konstantin

I found out this morning from my graduate academic assistant that I got one of the big CGS grants for $35,000 per year for three years! I'm so excited! I haven't checked my mailbox yet today as I'm working from campus, so I can't comment on whether I've received my letter yet - I'm in Ottawa, so I'll likely be one of the first to actually get the results by mail.

Sending positive good luck vibes to those who haven't heard yet!   

Congrats Wher4RtThou!

Also for those concerned about envelope:

It is a brown envelope from SSHRC with 4 pages. Much thicker than when the MA envelope from 2 years ago and they had to use tape to close it.

Hope that helps.

Sigh. Was on campus today, so dropped by the FGS office and found out I was wait listed. I also almost missed the cut off date to claim OGS, so it was a good thing I stopped in, even if I'm disappointed (devastated). I was ranked very high by my school (and first in my department), but there are so many factors at play. Congrats to all the winners, and to the non-winners, let's try again next round!

Hi all - I live in Ottawa and just received my letter this afternoon. Not sure what we are allowed to post here so I will wait.

Yeah, I am thinking the same thing. It seems that SSHRC wants to make the announcement, so I am going to hold off on details.

Received an email from the external scholarship coordinator at my school yesterday that I was successful but haven't received a letter from SSHRC yet to confirm. Last year there was a bit of a debacle at my school and both successful and wait listed OGS candidates received the same congratulations form letter. I'm hoping that was a one-time glitch as the school adjusted to the process of adjudicating OGS from within. But, just in case, I'm waiting with baited breath in the event that I am only wait listed. That being said, I've been waitlisted 3 yrs in a row so it would be nice to get a SSHRC for my 4th and (hopefully final) year.

I just got a (hilariously?) misleading e-mail from my School of Graduate Studies. It had SSHRC in the title, so I opened it immediately without reading very carefully... only to discover that it was a letter informing me that I had won OGS. "SSHRC" was in brackets, presumably because the letter also contained information on what to do if I also receive SSHRC. Uuggggghhhhh... still waitin' on that letter.

I guess I should be clear that I'm still pleased about getting OGS.

Edited by aselfmadewinter

I got a SSHRC CGS! (35k/3 years) :D Mail arrived 10 minutes ago at my place in Toronto. I'm through the roof with excitement!!!

Score: 16/20

MA+PhD Average: A

Publication: 0 (common for anthropology, most don't publish until after PhD3/fieldwork)

Presentations: 4

Fieldwork+research experience

TAships: 2
RAships: 2

Substantial+relevant volunteer experience

Strong letters and strong proposal

Forwarded A-list from department.

Second year applying (wait-listed last year)

Received MA SSHRC

Let me know if you would like to know any other stats related things

Edited by Nerd_For_Life