SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2014-2015

Konstantin

Glad to see other people also got e-mails! My two friends that found out were PhD students at Queen's. They both received e-mails from SSHRC this morning (and so did the department).

Best of luck to everyone.

Glad to see other people also got e-mails! My two friends that found out were PhD students at Queen's. They both received e-mails from SSHRC this morning (and so did the department).

So they were PhD students and appying to the doctoral SSHRC and SSHRC e-mailed them? I thought SSHRC was very firm on the "no e-mailing results" policy?

I actually don't believe that they received emails directly from SSHRC.

I actually don't believe that they received emails directly from SSHRC.

Ditto. But there could have been miscommunication somewhere! Congrats nonetheless!

This is the best tweet and almost certainly stems from grad cafe anxiety:

"@SSHRC_CRSH Some schools have already notified doctoral award recipients, yet U of O has not received results. When are they being mailed?"

Sorry, I could be wrong there. Maybe they received e-mails from the department.... the process was probably the same as GradSchoolCat. Either way,  I though you guys would like to know that they found out.

No worries! It happens, it is just a testy time for doctoral students hoping to receive word!

Sorry, I could be wrong there. Maybe they received e-mails from the department.... the process was probably the same as GradSchoolCat. Either way,  I though you guys would like to know that they found out.

That's ok, it must be their departments that notified them! Unless SSHRC scrapped its no-email policy, which is doubtful.

Dang, a lot has happened in this thread! Congrats to gradschoolcat and anyone else who was notified through their universities. I just want these letters to get mailed out, dammit!

That's ok, it must be their departments that notified them! Unless SSHRC scrapped its no-email policy, which is doubtful.

Called my grad awards department and asked if they had heard anything. They said no. I think I might have been the 30th person to call him today. He was not impressed.

I feel like I'm in a psych experiment and I'm a pigeon on a timed reward schedule and then the pecking increases exponentially the closer it gets to time when food will be provided. Only instead, I'm refreshing this forum, checking my e-mail, checking SSHRC's twitter, and checking the SSHRC website.

Congrats to those who have been awarded.

So strange that the no-email policy has not been strictly adhered to by SSHRC. It's making me read too many meanings into this. That said, I'll wait and see what happens tomorrow.

Congrats to those who have been awarded.

So strange that the no-email policy has not been strictly adhered to by SSHRC. It's making me read too many meanings into this. That said, I'll wait and see what happens tomorrow.

Those who are emailed are done so from their departments or graduate awards offices, not SSHRC. 

Last year in my school, the winners received emails, but not the losers! It was torture to wait for my (rejection) letter.

Those who are emailed are done so from their departments or graduate awards offices, not SSHRC. 

Last year in my school, the winners received emails, but not the losers! It was torture to wait for my (rejection) letter.I'm 

I'm not quite sure why this information wasn't provided earlier????

I'm not quite sure why this information wasn't provided earlier????

It has. The fact that SSHRC doesn't email has been stated at least a dozen times in this thread. 

Whether or not you hear by email varies from school to school, department to department, according to the variety of responses here from last year, on twitter, and word of mouth from past winners. 

My guess is that schools (usually the graduate awards office) know the day that SSHRC mails, and then have the option to email their winners or not. It makes sense when the schools are trying to recruit students, and some students are waiting on this news to make their decisions for where to go. It really should be sooner. 

I wonder if the godforsaken Storyteller Competition is finally over and SSHRC can begin to think about posting some Doctoral Awards news on its Twitter feed??

This. Honestly, what are SSHRC's priorities? Doctoral awards are kind of important, as they greatly determine who can go to do their PhD and where they will do it. I got university acceptances in early February; they wanted an answer by the end of February and March. If the financial packages are not substantial, how can someone make an informed decision about whether undertaking a PhD is financially feasible? It's criminal.

/rant

Diakonos, it's certainly frustrating to monitor the Twitter feed as people eager for news about the doctoral awards, but it's not like SSHRC really owes us anything here. They've said we can expect results at the end of April, and they're moving exactly according to the timeline they've stated.

Diakonos, it's certainly frustrating to monitor the Twitter feed as people eager for news about the doctoral awards, but it's not like SSHRC really owes us anything here. They've said we can expect results at the end of April, and they're moving exactly according to the timeline they've stated.

Mhm, I agree. I'm just thinking that if part of SSHRC's (publicly-funded) mandate is to support and sustain good research and researchers, then it would make sense to do anything possible to allow doctoral students to make a good decision for school. I can't imagine it would be so difficult to have results released in March, for example, given that most universities submit their recommendations in January or even earlier. They are certainly sticking to their policy—it's just not the best one.