SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2014-2015

Konstantin

Sooooooooooo. I received an email from my university today containing an announcement that "PhD students who applied for a Tri-Council award have been notified by mail if they have won an award." 

Considering that SSHRC's Twitter account has been silent about the competition results, maybe the announcement refers to CIHR and NSERC competiitons only? What should we make of this? 

Full text of the media release:

http://gradstudents.carleton.ca/newsletter/2014/april-16/

It could mean that they put them in the mail today, but who knows! Does any one know if anyone has heard back from CIHR and NSERC yet?

Starting to get super anxious!

It could mean that they put them in the mail today, but who knows! Does any one know if anyone has heard back from CIHR and NSERC yet?

Starting to get super anxious!

There are threads about the CIHR and NSERC that note some winners already for 2014

Sooooooooooo. I received an email from my university today containing an announcement that "PhD students who applied for a Tri-Council award have been notified by mail if they have won an award." 

Considering that SSHRC's Twitter account has been silent about the competition results, maybe the announcement refers to CIHR and NSERC competiitons only? What should we make of this? 

Does someone want to ask them on Twitter? 

DO IT! I don't have Twitter  :P

I'd be surprised if you received a response that's different from the one SSHRC replies to emails with.

Edited by Konstantin

So far only those who applied for NSERC and CIHR  have received their notifications. I checked my mail today and nothing to report. Tomorrow is the last working day of the week so let's see if we could hear something from their twitter account. Again SSHRC results will be by mail and not email

Putting on my logic and reasoning course hat here. Technically, only two students from any tri-council agencies have to have been notified for the statement to be true. But yeah, the phrasing is misleading, especially to us poor souls who will reach at anything that suggests results.

Edited by Diakonos

Putting on my logic and reasoning course hat here. Technically, only two students from any tri-council agencies have to have been notified for the statement to be true. But yeah, the phrasing is misleading, especially to us poor souls who will reach at anything that suggests results.

Yeah I wouldn't read too much into the announcement: it also says that all Tri-Council applicants will hear by regular mail, whereas CIHR candidates found out online. 

Edited by Konstantin

I went though the posts from last year's SSHRC forum and it looks like SSHRC mailed the letters out on the 26th last year and the 27th year before.

Aren't things moving faster on SSHRC's end this year, though? I'm a direct applicant, and I believe we received our letters notifying us that our applications were A-listed earlier than previous years. Hopefully letters will be mailed out early again for final results.

Aren't things moving faster on SSHRC's end this year, though? I'm a direct applicant, and I believe we received our letters notifying us that our applications were A-listed earlier than previous years. Hopefully letters will be mailed out early again for final results.

It's already the 16th and if the results aren't mailed out tomorrow, then they won't be mailed until next Tuesday, April 22nd, meaning that they will be released almost roughly at the same time as last year and the year before: end of April.

It's already the 16th and if the results aren't mailed out tomorrow, then they won't be mailed until next Tuesday, April 22nd, meaning that they will be released almost roughly at the same time as last year and the year before: end of April.

Yep. Seems to be the way it's going to go.

To pass the time, here's a sonnet Shakespeare wrote while waiting for his SSHRC letter:

That god forbid, that made me first your slave,
I should in thought control your times of pleasure,
Or at your hand the account of hours to crave,
Being your vassal, bound to stay your leisure!
O! let me suffer, being at your beck,
The imprison'd absence of your liberty;
And patience, tame to sufferance, bide each check,
Without accusing you of injury. 
Be where you list, your charter is so strong
That you yourself may privilege your time
To what you will; to you it doth belong
Yourself to pardon of self-doing crime.
   I am to wait, though waiting so be hell,
   Not blame your pleasure be it ill or well.

To pass the time, here's a sonnet Shakespeare wrote while waiting for his SSHRC letter:

slow-clap-gif.gif

I live in Ottawa. Think I could show up on their doorstop and ask for my results? What if I had a doctor's note saying that the intense anxiety of waiting is causing sleep deprivation and decreased concentration. Think I could find out then?

I hope you get SSHRC just for this.

I should have arranged to have my letter sent to relatives in Ottawa.  Could have saved myself a couple of days of waiting. But I guess it would be weird if I e-mailed sshrc to change my address AGAIN.  

SSHRC just tweeted that the letters will be sent out next week:

"@Stellar_StellaD Should be sent out next week but we will tweet next week to confirm."

Edited by sexuality_researcher

I should have arranged to have my letter sent to relatives in Ottawa. Could have saved myself a couple of days of waiting. But I guess it would be weird if I e-mailed sshrc to change my address AGAIN.

Considering their most recent tweet, it sounds like they have been getting slammed with inquiries. As they should. The summer term is coming up and my department is struggling with the RAship dispersal due to how little information they are receiving about a time line.

Edited by crimsoc

SSHRC just tweeted that the letters will be sent out next week:

"@Stellar_StellaD Should be sent out next week but we will tweet next week to confirm."

https://twitter.com/SSHRC_CRSH/statuses/456827459233533952

Ohhh I hope they're mailed out early next week! It took a while for the letter to get to me in Massachusetts last time, and I won't be at this address after Tuesday, April 29th. I emailed them to change my address to my folks in Toronto, but they said they'll update my file on the 28th. I would hate to miss it :(

giphy.gif