SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2014-2015

Konstantin

Just emailed the external fellowships officer at my school... got an automatic reply saying she's out of the office until next week. Talk about cruel and unusual!

edit:/ unless it is common practice for fellowship officers to do this when awards are being released?

Edited by Diakonos

Just emailed the external fellowships officer at my school... got an automatic reply saying she's out of the office until next week. Talk about cruel and unusual!

I bet they're all laughing at us at the annual conference of external fellowship and graduate award coordinators (ACEFGAC).

edit:/ unless it is common practice for fellowship officers to do this when awards are being released?

I doubt it, with the long weekend it's probably just a nice time to take vacation days and maximize your time off.

First year PhD going to second year. I have a 12 publications. first author on four publications, second author on 4 publications, and for the rest, my order varies from being the 3rd to the 6th author. I also have about 10 conference presentations in Canada and the US.

We've all come far and I thank the support from this forum. Good luck to everyone.

I, too, feel like throwing up! I wish I didn't know about this forum (or Twitter) and could wait patiently in a healthy manner. I'm resisting emailing my department unless I don't hear anything by Monday. I won OGS, but my heart is really with SSHRC. This wait is incredibly challenging.

I, too, feel like throwing up! I wish I didn't know about this forum (or Twitter) and could wait patiently in a healthy manner. I'm resisting emailing my department unless I don't hear anything by Monday. I won OGS, but my heart is really with SSHRC. This wait is incredibly challenging.

Same here. I have so much to do but I feel paralyzed by the wait, especially with SSHRC's tweet about how we'll hear something by the end of the day. So obviously that means I'll be BSing until 5pm and refreshing this page and their feed until I see something, then maybe I can focus on my work. I'll feel a bit relieved when I know the letter is in the mail, because that gives me about 4 days before I can realistically expect receiving it here in the US and finding out my results.

Edited by Safferz

The only other person in my department in the running for doctoral sshrc  "doesn't really care because he already has funding." What. I'm grateful for the internet because now I can assure myself that HE is the crazy one, not me.

The only other person in my department in the running for doctoral sshrc  "doesn't really care because he already has funding." What. I'm grateful for the internet because now I can assure myself that HE is the crazy one, not me.

argh hahaha but on the other hand wish i had such mentality at least i'd be less stressed!!!

Same here. I have so much to do but I feel paralyzed by the wait, especially with SSHRC's tweet about how we'll hear something by the end of the day. So obviously that means I'll be BSing until 5pm and refreshing this page and their feed until I see something, then maybe I can focus on my work. I'll feel a bit relieved when I know the letter is in the mail, because that gives me about 4 days before I can realistically expect receiving it here in the US and finding out my results.

aw Safferz I totally know what you mean, but meanwhile, cheers!

Same, Girlfriend_In_a_Coma.

Apparently my graduate department hasn't heard anything yet; it's odd that other departments at my university know but mine doesn't. Sigh.  

It might also be that your department does know but that they do not divulge the results to students before the official letters have been received. Saying that they don't know might be easier than 'we know but we can't/won't tell you.' 

Or maybe I'm being cynical?

I just want to know!

Strange attitude. Who doesn't apply for external fellowships even when they have regular funding? I'm doing it because it will free up my fourth year from teaching obligations so I can go off and start dissertation fieldwork a year early, and because it's a competitive award that anyone would be lucky to have on their CV. Even though I don't *need* it to complete my degree, I'm still here freaking out. He's probably just trying to play it cool, or perhaps preparing himself to deal with the possibility of not winning :P

Hey all, checking into this thread after many weeks, and I see that a lot has happened! Congrats to everyone who's had good news so far!

Safferz, like you, I'll be waiting for that mail to slowly make its way south of the border. Maybe if it's mailed out today, conceivably we could get it by Monday (or even Saturday, if we're being optimistic).

Reading this thread, I wondered why I have so little anxiety about this, and I realized it's because in my mind I have already made peace with the fact that I won't get it. 

It might also be that your department does know but that they do not divulge the results to students before the official letters have been received. Saying that they don't know might be easier than 'we know but we can't/won't tell you.' 

Or maybe I'm being cynical?

I just want to know!

I doubt it. After all the applications I've had to do this year, I've gotten to know the Graduate Academic Assistant fairly well, and, as a former grad student from the department, he's pretty forthcoming about everything. That being said, he made reference to an "awards officer" who would be letting everyone know "as soon as SSHRC releases the results", and she might be keeping a tight lid on things. OH THE ANXIETY! 

Hey all, checking into this thread after many weeks, and I see that a lot has happened! Congrats to everyone who's had good news so far!

Safferz, like you, I'll be waiting for that mail to slowly make its way south of the border. Maybe if it's mailed out today, conceivably we could get it by Monday (or even Saturday, if we're being optimistic).

Reading this thread, I wondered why I have so little anxiety about this, and I realized it's because in my mind I have already made peace with the fact that I won't get it. 

Carthage, I did a quick check of the dates with the last letter we received from SSHRC -- the envelope is postmarked February 11 (a Tuesday), and I received it here in Boston the following Tuesday, February 18th. That Monday was Presidents' Day, with no mail delivery. So if that's the general time frame for mail from Ottawa to Boston, I'm thinking it'll be Tuesday for us in Mass if letters are mailed out today.

Carthage, I did a quick check of the dates with the last letter we received from SSHRC -- the envelope is postmarked February 11 (a Tuesday), and I received it here in Boston the following Tuesday, February 18th. That Monday was Presidents' Day, with no mail delivery. So if that's the general time frame for mail from Ottawa to Boston, I'm thinking it'll be Tuesday for us in Mass if letters are mailed out today.

It seems as if today is the day for them to be mailed, judging by their last tweet. But who knows!

If anyone from Concordia has heard please let me know (by PM of course to not leak info).

I emailed my department and they gave me the standard "we know when you know." I'm out of the country  for a trip to my potential PhD school so my roommates are under strict orders to open any envelopes with SSHRC on it and emailed me immediately. Poor roommates, I think they are more stressed than me.

Ah, yes, I think you're right. My envelope is also postmarked the 11th and I received it on the 18th.  

It seems as if today is the day for them to be mailed, judging by their last tweet. But who knows!

I think so too, but I'm just so anxious to know. I'm going to go get some ice cream to comfort myself, and possibly some chicken wings.