SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2014-2015

Konstantin

I just received my 4 year package. (Attending Brown in the fall and starting a PhD in MCM). Does anyone know how the scoring works? Mine is on a 20 pt scale?

Edited by enonce

Got the letter from SSHRC this afternoon. Pleased to report that I've been offered a CGS!!! Wooohoooooo!! $35,000/year for 3 years. Super happy! Some of my stats:

3rd time applying for a Ph.D. SSHRC;

2nd year in the Ph.D. programme, going into 3rd;

M.A. and Ph.D. GPA: just above A;

4 single author publications, mainly in grad student journals;

10 or so presentations, some at professional conferences, some at grad student conferences.

5 or 6 RA-ships; 3-4 TA-ships;

A ton of awards, including OGS and MA SSHRC.

Strong letters of support from supervisor and from another department member, both emerging and internationally-recognized experts in the field I am proposing to study;

SSHRC Program of Study: over 20 drafts, circulated to at least 12 members of my dept and fellow students.

Thanks for all the support and for sticking together! Congrats to all those received the awards, and good vibes to those still waiting, and also good luck reapplying to those who have not received a SSHRC.

Edited by Konstantin

Curious if anyone can shed light on how the scoring works. Based on a few of the recent posts, it looks like it's out of 20 and specified to one decimal point. Wondering if there are typically ranges that CGS, fellowships, and wait-listers fall into.

SSHRC changed their scoring system this year. Before the scores were out of 30, whereas now they are out of 20. In previous years the score didn't seem to have a lot to do with whether the applicant received CGS or a Fellowship, because I've seen some applicants with scores as high as 22/30 receive a Fellowship and 18.7/30 receive a CGS. I do remember the cutoff for the waitlist was around 16.5? Sorry don't know the current stats, since no one has posted their scores yet on the forum.

Congrats everyone on the good news! And best of luck to those still waiting.

Sorry, if this is a dumb question: what is the difference between fellowship and CGS? I thought the only difference was that successful applicants in Canadian universities receive $35k and successful applicants from in US universities receive $20k. 

Congrats everyone on the good news! And best of luck to those still waiting.

Sorry, if this is a dumb question: what is the difference between fellowship and CGS? I thought the only difference was that successful applicants in Canadian universities receive $35k and successful applicants from in US universities receive $20k. 

They are different. CGS is a 35K/year award awarded to applicants who have completed less than 17 months of study (so typically students up to PhD1) and a fellowship is $20K up to a max of four years (I think? There's been some rule changes this year I haven't totally followed).

However, CGS cannot be held in the US which is why all US students have to decline CGS for the fellowship. CDN students can receive either offer.

ETA: Not a dumb question!

Edited by cathaea

They are different. CGS is a 35K/year award awarded to applicants who have completed less than 17 months of study (so typically students up to PhD1) and a fellowship is $20K up to a max of four years (I think? There's been some rule changes this year I haven't totally followed).

However, CGS cannot be held in the US which is why all US students have to decline CGS for the fellowship. CDN students can receive either offer.

Ah, I see. That makes sense. Thanks so much!

Cathaea has it correct, fellowship is up to 80,000 depending on how long you have been in your Ph.D. But as I understand, the CGS can only be awarded for the full 3 years whereas you could, and many do, get the fellowship for one year (20,000).

Edited by bentharbour

Cathaea has it correct, fellowship is up to 80,000 depending on how long you have been in your Ph.D. But as I understand, the CGS can only be awarded for the full 3 years whereas you could, and many do, get the fellowship for one year (20,000).

Yes, thanks for adding that clarification. Hence why you can only get CGS up to month 17 of your studies because it is only tenable for 3 yrs.

Yes, thanks for adding that clarification. Hence why you can only get CGS up to month 17 of your studies because it is only tenable for 3 yrs.

I figured that's exactly what you meant, but I figured it would help to clarify.

I am glad to have won the Fellowship as I will be going to the US for my Ph.D. I may have felt slight regret if I were lucky enough to have won the CGS. So incredibly grateful either way!

Congrats randomness! I'm so jealous of all of you guys getting your letters! We have mail delivery in the US tomorrow, but I think it's still too early to realistically expect the letter to reach here. Maybe Monday, but more likely I'll receive it on Tuesday.

Congrats randomness! I'm so jealous of all of you guys getting your letters! We have mail delivery in the US tomorrow, but I think it's still too early to realistically expect the letter to reach here. Maybe Monday, but more likely I'll receive it on Tuesday.

I guess you don't even have any administrative folks at your University to harass for the results eh? Sit tight, I'm sure you will receive good news soon!

This, but also a bit more as there is a ranking system involved. Applicant eligible for CGS and the fellowship are considered for both and then the highest ranking (eligible) CDN applicants are offered CGS (and then if they are planning to take the award outside of Canada they can downgrade to the fellowship), while those who have successful applications but are not as highly ranked are offered the fellowship (eg. you can be a first year PhD CDN student and be awarded a fellowship but not a CGS, even though you are eligible for both). If the applicant is not eligible for CGS (eg. later in their program of study, already enrolled in a US program, etc.) then they will only be considered for the fellowship.