International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

Anyway, Congrats everyone who got their offers :)

And All the very best to all those who are still waiting(such as me).. ( It's a long way (wait) to the top if you wanna rock n roll )! \m/

My theory is this:

1) The crème de la crème of the first round applicants were accepted in December. The definitely unqualified were rejected. The rest were postponed.

2) The clearly qualified second round applicants were admitted over the past 2 weeks. The pool of postponed applicants remains untouched.

3) The borderline qualified second round applicants were added to the pool of applicants postponed from the first round, possibly ranked.

4) Once all the clearly qualified applicants have been accepted, they begin reevaluating the pool of applicants within the constraints of the remaining places.

5) Some of the reevaluated borderline applicants will be refused, the others placed on the waiting list for the end of April result.

Long story short, I'm extremely anxious about the results and am trying to distract myself by conjuring up baseless theories.

@mych, It might be my despondency talking so late in the day, but I think you're spot on with your theory. I pray that it isn't but it sounds extremely logical. Also, I think they're considering applications region- wise  (Americas, South Asia, Asia etc)

@mych, It might be my despondency talking so late in the day, but I think you're spot on with your theory. I pray that it isn't but it sounds extremely logical. Also, I think they're considering applications region- wise  (Americas, South Asia, Asia etc)

I hope region wise is not the case, though it seems so!! :/

I cant believe it. My Status is still Under Consideration...........

i fear that a rejection is coming. 

Is it not too cruel for the first round applicants to receive a rejection at the very last moment? If it is really a rejection, they would.  have known it way before as we were already assessed before the second round applicants.Why do they wait for the last moment to send it out?????

IHEID dun do this please. 

My thoughts exactly..I wish they would reject me already so I can move on and start planning for the future, at this point being stuck in "Under consideration" limbo is much worse than being rejected (I applied in October so it's been a lot of waiting for me lol).

@mych, It might be my despondency talking so late in the day, but I think you're spot on with your theory. I pray that it isn't but it sounds extremely logical. Also, I think they're considering applications region- wise (Americas, South Asia, Asia etc)

:) My theory was born out of despondency as well. I really hope it's wrong. I like the sound of a regional approach! Come to think of it I haven't yet heard of anyone from Europe being accepted to the programme thus far, which bodes well for me. It's entirely possible though that the admitted Europeans just haven't been posting here. I need to get my imagination under control.

Thank you so much everyone for your wishes :)

Finally some good news for us first-rounders - Congratulations!!!!! What a great selection of schools you have to choose from!

I especially like the part in your signature where it says "Rejections - None :D" lol

haha, ^true story! :P

Congratulations Angie! You really have awesome colleges to choose from, hope the scholarship works out for you. Also, people I'm new to this forum, I applied for MIA from IHEID on 13th Jan, will I also be getting the result by today or tomorrow?

Thank you :)

yes though my top choices as mentioned are IHEID & ScPo. its going to be a very very tough decision.!

Congratulations Angie! That makes 9/9 programmes you've been accepted to! If I may ask, what do you think you did differently with your application to IHEID this year vs your IHEID application last year?

All the best with finding alternative funding. :) Do you know whether you're leaning more towards IHEID or ScPo?

Thank you! Okay so well last year what i wrote was an essay on development as my personal statement rather than why i actually wanted to do the course and other reasonings. So in short, my SOP sucked. Hence the rejection. This year I started working on my personal statement from July and before shaping up the final one, I had some 40 drafts. So in a way you can say that I actually worked my ass off on it! 

As for your last question,  I love the curriculum at ScPo but I somehow dont want to give up Geneva as a location. Plus there is the whole funding thing. So I am equally leaning on both the sides. I am hoping for a good response for funding from ScPo so if that works out, i am definitely going to ScPo and if not then IHEID. 

Edited by k_angie

Thank you so much everyone for your wishes :)

haha, ^true story! :P

Thank you :)

yes though my top choices as mentioned are IHEID & ScPo. its going to be a very very tough decision.!

Thank you! Okay so well last year what i wrote was an essay on development as my personal statement rather than why i actually wanted to do the course and other reasonings. So in short, my SOP sucked. Hence the rejection. This year I started working on my personal statement from July and before shaping up the final one, I had some 40 drafts. So in a way you can say that I actually worked my ass off on it! 

As for your last question,  I love the curriculum at ScPo but I somehow dont want to give up Geneva as a location. Plus there is the whole funding thing. So I am equally leaning on both the sides. I am hoping for a good response for funding from ScPo so if that works out, i am definitely going to ScPo and if not then IHEID.

Cool Signature. K_Angie. Congrats :)

Mych . I agree with your analysis. But I think it should be what happened during the selection process (during jan and Feb). The most hated email that we received the other day telling us that they hoped to send us the decision by tomorrow said they had started to process admission and scholarship result not selection. 

So I speculate that the delay has sth to do with administration, rather than deciding on giving out offers. 

My another speculation is that a rejection letter is pretty much easy. I havent seen one but I reckon that it should start with Dear Applicant . So a rejection letter can be mass sent. But an acceptance letter usually contains the name of the applicant. So administratively, there is more work to do. 

According to the unfortunate scholarship case of Angie and also According to another thread, another applicant also experienced the Under Consideration but Scholarship Refused tragedy.  it seems that successful applicants after being accepted internally, will be passed for consideration of scholarship. Again I reckon that there is extra work on it. Thats why it took long time. 

My wildest speculation  is that we will either receive a brutal and cruel rejection or acceptance with scholarship. 

Mych . I agree with your analysis. But I think it should be what happened during the selection process (during jan and Feb). The most hated email that we received the other day telling us that they hoped to send us the decision by tomorrow said they had started to process admission and scholarship result not selection. 

So I speculate that the delay has sth to do with administration, rather than deciding on giving out offers. 

My another speculation is that a rejection letter is pretty much easy. I havent seen one but I reckon that it should start with Dear Applicant . So a rejection letter can be mass sent. But an acceptance letter usually contains the name of the applicant. So administratively, there is more work to do. 

According to the unfortunate scholarship case of Angie and also According to another thread, another applicant also experienced the Under Consideration but Scholarship Refused tragedy.  it seems that successful applicants after being accepted internally, will be passed for consideration of scholarship. Again I reckon that there is extra work on it. Thats why it took long time. 

My wildest speculation  is that we will either receive a brutal and cruel rejection or acceptance with scholarship. 

Okay so well having been at the end of receiving the rejection letter once,I can assure you that the rejective is personalised. It will start with Mr./Ms. yourlastname and then the whole standard email. 

Also I am hoping everyones receives acceptances if not scholarships! Good luck everyone.

P.S. - I have started freaking out as I havent received an official acceptance email from IHEID yet. Given that they say that only when you receive the email is your acceptance binding. I am really anxious. :/

I kind of agree with that.. I just hope I can say TGIF tomorrow :D and I hope the same for you all.

Good luck :D

Hi I'm new to the thread! :) still waiting to hear as well, been under consideration since october too :/

Hey natasha!

Welcome to the thread. Which course have you applied to?

I am going nuts waiting for the scholarship decisions. Even though I dont care about it anymore, just wanted to see their decision are based on need based or merit based...Good luck everyone for big surprises from IHEID.. I dont know what to expect from IHEID given their handling of application process...

I like how you think Mickun! It is my (wishful thinking) suspicion as well. At least it was what I experienced with LSE I had applied way before a lot of Dev Management candidates and they started receiving their offers. I was at a loss but then someone reminded me that rejections especially at LSE are quick they do not waste time notifying candidates who are rejected. Most likely I was being considered for a scholarship and that was taking extra time. And what do you know a few weeks after I received an offer with financial aid.

Ok I know it doesn't always happen like this... BUT the lady did say they do not have a particular order they are processing applicants. So let's keep hope alive one more day. However if my status does not change on Friday... I will lose it!

What do all of you think of posting summaries of our applications and profiles? We could begin now or wait until everyone has heard back from IHEID; I reckon it could be a great help to future candidates if they can get an idea of our backgrounds, in that it will provide them with a benchmark against which to evaluate the strength of their applications. Just a thought.

Some sample questions, based on Feel free to add more:

Previous schools (name, type):

Previous degrees and grades:

International experience (countries, reason, duration):

Previous work experience (duration, type):

Math/econ background:

Languages (how fluent?):

Intended field of study in grad school:

Long-term professional goals:

Schools applied to & results (funding?):

Ultimate decision & why:

Any advice for future applicants?

Edited by mych

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around for some time now and it's been reassuring to know other people are also tired of waiting and as anxious as I am...

I applied for Mdev and my status is still "under consideration". Applied on 2nd round.

I am a young professional (well not that young anymore hahaha) and only applied to IHEID (I live in Switzerland) No scholarship request.

Good luck to you all.

Hopefully 2nd post will be news :-)

Cheers

Hey natasha!

Welcome to the thread. Which course have you applied to?

thanks! I applied to MDEV. IHEID is one of my top choices so really nervous to see what the outcome is going to be. Hope we find out today! Congrats on getting in, really hope the scholarship works out for you!! :) what course is it?

My friend got accepted recently, she applied in January - for the political science masters.

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around for some time now and it's been reassuring to know other people are also tired of waiting and as anxious as I am...

I applied for Mdev and my status is still "under consideration". Applied on 2nd round.

I am a young professional (well not that young anymore hahaha) and only applied to IHEID (I live in Switzerland) No scholarship request.

Good luck to you all.

Cheers

Hi Swissfroggy! Welcome to the thread. :) Which part of the country are you in, and are you looking for a Stipendium from your canton? That's the route I'm looking at should I fail to receive funding.

(Feel free to wait until your admission before responding if you want your 2nd post to be news ;)

What do all of you think of posting summaries of our applications and profiles? We could begin now or wait until everyone has heard back from IHEID; I reckon it could be a great help to future candidates if they can get an idea of our backgrounds, in that it will provide them with a benchmark against which to evaluate the strength of their applications. Just a thought.

Some sample questions, based on Feel free to add more:

Math/econ background:

Languages (how fluent?):

Ultimate decision & why:

It's a good idea but I feel it's a bit too early to do kind of a post mortem on this thread when so many people (me included) are still on pins and needles waiting for a decision! Let's wait until regular posters all have their decisions and start making a choice and THEN we can reflect on our backgrounds. I for one cannot think of anything else at the moment but how to refresh the status page faster lol

Hi everyone,

Good luck to you all.

Cheers

Welcome  swissfroggy (I like the name!) and natashakent!

We're always glad to see new people posting! Please stick around and share your anxiety, fears, good and (hopefully no) bad news with the rest of us!

Very good initiative. I wish previous IHEID applicants had done the same !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

City University of Hong Kong (for UG study)

University of Buenos Aires (For master study)

BA in English Studies (Upper Second Class)

MA in South American Studies (9.3/10 = Distinction, taugh in Spanish)

One month (each) : Australia, Canada & the UK ---Summer English courses

Six months Madrid --- Exchange

Nine months Peru --- volunteering in a slum

Six months Berlin --- working holiday visa

two months Brazil --- field trip for my master thesis

two years Argentina --- master degree

No real work experience but do have some internships exp

3 months : Large international NGO in HK

6 months : A foreign consulate in HK 

1 year : in a Large Latin American NGO in Argentina

3 months : in a prestigious think tank in Argentina

Math/econ background:

NOTHING. I HATE Numbers !!!!!!!!!!!

Languages (how fluent?):

Cantonese (Native) --- Mandarin (Fluent with HK accent B) ) --- English (Fluent) ---- Japanese (Fluent)----Spanish (Fluent) ---- Portuguese (advanced) --- German (beginner, The Germens speak very good English. All my german friends just did not have the patience to talk to me in german. After greeting, they always switched to English)

South South Cooperation. 

UN, large think tank, international NGO 

Sciences Po Paris & Hertie accepted           IHEID and Oxford pending
Ultimate decision & why: