Job question. No clue what to do!?!

rexzeppelin

I'm getting applications ready for PhD programs to start next fall, currently living at home unemployed.

I got a full-time job offer today from a biotech lab to start in a couple weeks. It's with a cool company that I'd love to get experience with, to help figure out if industry is something I'd like to do after school. 

However in my job interview I mentioned nothing about my grad school plans, fearing it would be the kiss of death. Now I realize if I took the job I don't know how I'd ask for vacation time to attend interviews in only 3 months time, and would then leave 9 months after starting (assuming I get in somewhere).

I really don't know what to do here, I don't want to burn bridges with this company that I genuinely like, but if I decline the job, apply and get rejected everywhere I'll feel like a complete idiot.

Any advice here? Honesty with my employer?

Take the job. This isn't an issue until you get accepted somewhere right? Even if you get accepted it may not be a package that you want.

Employees leave jobs; you won't hurt their feelings or burn a bridge; just make sure you give plenty of notice.

Here's what you know:

You're unemployed.

This is a great company offering you a full time job.

This job is relevant to what you want to study.

Telling this job that you may be leaving for grad school in less than a year is the kiss of death.

Here's what you don't know:

If you'll be invited to interview for grad programs.

If you'll be accepted anywhere.

If a job offer like this will come along again.

Here's something to consider:

Ad com's know that people are working while waiting to get accepted somewhere.  They know that sometimes you can't take time off work and may schedule interviews on weekends or via skype.  If you get invited to interview ask about these options.  If they insist you come in person then you'll figure out an excuse to tell your job later.  

So take the job, save some money, get off your parents couch, learn in your field, etc.  If you don't get in this round then next round you can mention all the cool stuff you've learned at this job =)

Edited by MsDarjeeling

Thanks for the advice! Without Gradcafe I'd be completely neurotic.

I'm leaning towards the job, the current limbo I'm in at home will drive me crazy soon anyway.

I'm hoping that grad programs will be accommodating scheduling interviews if I can't take time off during the week, otherwise I'll have some tough decisions to make. Rising_star, I'm seriously considering deferring applications, but after getting all my LoR writers on point and everything else ready I'm not so willing to put it off.

I'm thinking if I like the project I'm working on in the lab I could defer an acceptance, but PhD is still my #1 priority.

You can always file your recommendation letters with a dossier service like Interfolio, or you can just tell your recommenders that you've decided to wait another year to apply but please keep their letters on deck for you for next year.  There's nothing wrong with that.

Either way, you should definitely take the job.

I agree with MsDarjeeling. Also, many universities will allow you to do a skype interview if you can't spend the extra time flying across the country, so you could probably still manage some interviews without taking time off work.