Fall 2014 Civil and Environmental Engineering

jacket24

I had a conversation with one of the professors who told me that usually they meet on last weekend of Feburary to make final decision and so I should hear back very early March. He did mention that each individual department have slightly different schedules. I see you are aerospace and I am with the environmental department.

HockeyNerd,

Most of my apps are indeed aerospace, but I have applied for Illinois CEE department as well (and it is my first choice school).

Thanks for your response.

Sooo.... Updates

Illinois - Accepted (funding pending)

Berkeley - Accepted (unfunded :( )

Washington Seattle - Visiting/Interview (March 12th) High hopes, I was told they do not accept PhD without at least some partial funding so at least I won't have a Berkeley situation.

MIT - No Contact (anyone heard from them, do they conduct interviews? I know visitation is not until April)

Michigan - No Contact (implied rejection or wait list since interview/visit weekend is in two weeks)

Texas - Unofficial Acceptance - (possible tuition waiver)

Looking at all your profiles and the Universities you guys have applied to, I feel like a noob here. Anyways just wanted to share my profile. I'm applying for MS in Civil Engineering (Construction Engineering Management). My profile :

Undergrad GPA : 3.17 (University of Pune, India) I'm currently in my final semester.

GRE : (Q163, V160, AW4.0)

1 summer internship in relevant field.

Certified courses in management softwares like MSP and Primavera.

1 seminar (Disaster Management) and 1 project (Solid Waste Management)

Universities applied to and current status :

1. Virginia Tech - Under Review

2. Texas A&M University, College Station - Under Review

3. University of Colorado, Boulder - Admit. (funding decision awaited thougn I'm not expecting any sort of funding)

4. North Carolina State University - Under Review

5. University of Southern California - Under Review

6. University of Wisconsin, Madison - Reject

7. Clemson University - Under Review

8. University of Florida - Under Review

A friend of mine that applied to Stanford Civil/Environmental indicated that decisions for those who applied to the Atmosphere/Energy sector should be receiving a decision in the next day or two.  I applied to Stanford Civil/Environmental, but to a different sector. I'm not sure if the reported decision timeline applies to all sectors, but in light of the visit date of 3/14, I would imagine that decisions for all admitted students are not far off.

A friend of mine that applied to Stanford Civil/Environmental indicated that decisions for those who applied to the Atmosphere/Energy sector should be receiving a decision in the next day or two.  I applied to Stanford Civil/Environmental, but to a different sector. I'm not sure if the reported decision timeline applies to all sectors, but in light of the visit date of 3/14, I would imagine that decisions for all admitted students are not far off.

*Cue extended drum roll in agonizing anticipation*

Hi guys, first post.

I was just admitted to UIUC for an MS. No funding.

My stats:
GPA: 3.57

GRE: 159V, 160Q, 5.0AW.

Research: None.
Experience: I have 21 months of internship experience. I spent 15 with Arup in geotechnical engineering. I was heavily involved in extra curriculars including design teams. 

I also applied to MIT, Stanford, and UofT for professional M.Eng/MS programs.

Cheers and Good Luck!

Edited by Makarovic

Called MIT - was told that the admissions will all be completed by the end of the first week of March. Admission decisions will be sent out in batches. So close! Cannot wait to find out a decision.

Thanks for calling them and passing along that information.  That is great news.  When they said "admissions will be sent out in batches" did that imply that decisions would be trickled out over the course of the first week of March?  Or that everyone would hear yay/nay at roughly the same time?  Or there may be a big batch on, say, Tuesday and then another one on Friday (or whatever)?

Based on my understanding, MIT Civil/Environmental should represent the upper bound of my waiting period, since the other couple of programs I applied to are supposed to be sending out results any day now (they both have visit dates on 3/14).  In fact, we're officially past the time that Stanford anticipated notifying people that applied to the atmosphere/energy sector, which was supposed to be completed on Monday or Tuesday of this week. 

Thanks! The open house is the 16-17 of March I think it a Sunday -Monday combo. I'm less keen on UCB after hearing that quite a few students drop after a year unable to find an advisor. Apparently they treat MS/PHD the same as the MSE students, have to find an advisor and fundig within the year or cannot continue.

Bye-bye, Stanford. Initially shocked, but competitiveness of the school coupled with my identifying identifying an advisor that doesn't carry more than a couple students at a time probably did not help things.

:( :(

:( :(

No worries, 1b and 1d are still out there (other two MIT departments I applied to) and I've already gotten into 1a (Yale) and 1c (Chicago).  I'm surprised I haven't seen any other updates from anyone else in the results page for Civil/Environmental at Stanford, though. 

Edited by phdcandidate022014

The Stanford Atmosphere/Energy program must be on an earlier schedule; I am waiting for the EES department. I saw a Johns Hopkins acceptance posted yesterday but have yet to hear from them as well.

Hey! I'm anxious to hear from UW-Seattle. I just thought I'd let y'all know that. Unfortunately it seems late in the game & unlikely that even if I was admitted they would offer any funding. I was offered an RA at the University of Minnesota, but I would so love to be in Seattle for so many reasons. Let me know if you continue to hear anything new from UW.

The Stanford Atmosphere/Energy program must be on an earlier schedule; I am waiting for the EES department. I saw a Johns Hopkins acceptance posted yesterday but have yet to hear from them as well.

Your waiting for EES should be almost over, though, because the visit day for all sectors is 3/14 and they ask RSVP by 3/10.  I called the office Monday and asked if decisions had been sent out and she happily looked up my records and gave me an approximation of when decisions would be finalized.

Hey! I'm anxious to hear from UW-Seattle. I just thought I'd let y'all know that. Unfortunately it seems late in the game & unlikely that even if I was admitted they would offer any funding. I was offered an RA at the University of Minnesota, but I would so love to be in Seattle for so many reasons. Let me know if you continue to hear anything new from UW.

My understanding is that UW is behind in their whole process so I wouldn't count yourself out yet. I was initially told that we would hear back in mid-February (which has come and gone in silence) but more recent estimates are early March. They have sent out invitations for the first visit weekend (I'm not sure if there will be more than one scheduled event) to a few applicants who are being considered for department fellowships but that doesn't mean that you won't receive funding from your POI's project. 

What is your focus area?

Hmm if 17 March is Berkeley's open house does it mean the decisions are finalized and we are only waiting for rejection? Anyone receiving a PhD admit ? (most civil admits I have seen are Ms. other than the ones in January which may or may not be real)

I don't think Berkeley has sent out their PhD acceptances yet! UW-Seattle has already sent out some rejections so I wouldn't count yourself out yet. Also with UW and funding I heard they basically never offer a spot without some sort of aid either in the form of RA, TA, POI research or fellowship.