Fall 2014 Civil and Environmental Engineering

jacket24

For anyone who might be interested, I received my admission offer from Stanford today for the Environmental Fluid Mechanics and Hydrology program - one day after their March 14 Visit Day registration deadline (March 10). Maybe this was intentional to exclude M.Eng. students from the visit.

Good luck to anyone else still waiting for results!

Edited by brightblack

Anyone who has not heard from Berkeley like me ?

I got bad news from Stanford yesterday but I'm waiting for Berkeley as well. I'm not feeling overly confident at this point since I'm 0/3 but I just keep telling myself that I only need one. Sooner would be better than later...

I haven't contacted them but it's been tough to fight the urge. Cal's website says they make decisions up until late March and previous years' results confirm that. Which programs have you heard back from so far?

There has only been one Berkeley EnvE PhD result posted this application season (an admission in late February) so I think they're just a bit behind like Washington. Still, we are coming up to prime rejection season so hopefully they're not just drawing out the torture.

I finally heard from UW-Seattle, if anyone is interested. I was accepted, but there is not any departmental funding available for me. I'm visiting Seattle next week, so perhaps I'll set up a meeting with someone in the department to chat.

I finally heard from UW-Seattle, if anyone is interested. I was accepted, but there is not any departmental funding available for me. I'm visiting Seattle next week, so perhaps I'll set up a meeting with someone in the department to chat.

Congratulations on your acceptance! Was it for MS or PhD?

Indeed they are.  Admissions decisions released last week and their rejection released a week later......

Got rej. letter from UCB this morning.

Move on with my seem-no-ending waiting process.....

I just got admission results only from lehigh, princeton, berkeley. What else university is doing now? Are they really reviewing my data or just waiting for informing rejection to me?

I just got admission results only from lehigh, princeton, berkeley. What else university is doing now? Are they really reviewing my data or just waiting for informing rejection to me?

they would make a list  with the names of all the applicants on it , rank them in accordance of their rank and GPA. maybe their RLs taken into account too. then fill the vancancy, leave few in the WL. reject most without even give a look of their materials ......

Oh. I am prepared for the worst scenario....

Take it easy.....I am just kidding..

Hope they are carefully comparing our materials before make the decisions which may exert huge influence of our life path...

Hi guys I am from India..So I received an admit from NCSU and a reject from Vtech. Vtech was my first choice. TAMU now becomes my first choice!
In the meanwhile its between CU-Boulder and NCSU! MS in Civil Engineering (Construction Engineering & Management)

I also have an admit for MS in Building Construction Management from Purdue. But most probably i am going to reject it as STEM extension is not available for this course.

CU-Boulder
Departmental rank:15 Overall rank:34
Total potential cost without any sort of funding - $72000
Coursework is good! Still not sure abt the job prospects. But i like the place. And one of my best friends will most probably be attending this University. So i would have someone who i know since childhood with me.

NCSU
Departmental rank:22 Overall rank:29
Total potential cost without any sort of funding - $65000
I like the coursework here too. Dont have a proper idea abt job prospects. But would save me around $7000 compared to CU-Boulder. I am from India and $7000 would convert to Rs.10 lakhs here! So its a lot of money.

So guys what do you think? Which one is better for me? CU-Boulder or NCSU? Thanks in advance.

Hey 1 more question! What is the difference between MS in Construction Management and MS in Civil Engineering (Construction Engineering & Management). One difference i know is MS in CE (CEM) is a STEM course! But other than that any difference? Because the subjects look similar! Is any degree better than the other? I've seen that MS in CE (CEM) is tougher to get in than MS in CM! Correct me if I'm wrong! Most of the schools offer both these degrees. For example TAMU offers MS in CM in their architecture department!

• 2 weeks later...

I am finally done with this crazy process!

I hope everyone else has heard back from the rest of their schools.

Here is my stats and results for the sake of future grad cafers who may be obbessive as I was about reading old forums.

Undergrad University: The University of Texas, Austin

Major:  Civil Engineering

GPA: Overall 3.79, Major 3.93

Length: 4 years

Ranking: Top 15%? maybe 

Type of Student: Domestic, Female

GRE

Q 165

Research/Work:

1 year, undergraduate research in rainwater quality and microbe deactivation (expected publication next year)

2 years, intern/contractor, patent reviewing and drafting, focus in acoustical physics in medical equipment.

(odd jobs throughout four years to pay for living expenses)

Extras:

6 months abroad taking graduate level classes

Chi Epsilon, Tau Beta Pi, University Scholar

Undergraduate Research Fellowship

Four years of university scholarships

Graduating with 145 credit hours

Applied to NSF GRFP

Applied Programs MS/PHD Environmental Engineering

Berkeley - accepted (no funding first year)

UIUC - accepted (full funding) Attending

Washington Seattle - accepted (full funding)

UT Austin - accepted (full funding)

Michigan - accepted (MS only)

MIT - rejected

NSF GRFP - unknown

I just accepted UIUC and have officially turned down my other offers. 

I am finally done with this crazy process!

I hope everyone else has heard back from the rest of their schools.

Here is my stats and results for the sake of future grad cafers who may be obbessive as I was about reading old forums.

Undergrad University: The University of Texas, Austin

Major:  Civil Engineering

GPA: Overall 3.79, Major 3.93

Length: 4 years

Ranking: Top 15%? maybe 

Type of Student: Domestic, Female

GRE

Q 165

Research/Work:

1 year, undergraduate research in rainwater quality and microbe deactivation (expected publication next year)

2 years, intern/contractor, patent reviewing and drafting, focus in acoustical physics in medical equipment.

(odd jobs throughout four years to pay for living expenses)

Extras:

6 months abroad taking graduate level classes

Chi Epsilon, Tau Beta Pi, University Scholar

Undergraduate Research Fellowship

Four years of university scholarships

Graduating with 145 credit hours

Applied to NSF GRFP

Applied Programs MS/PHD Environmental Engineering

Berkeley - accepted (no funding first year)

UIUC - accepted (full funding) Attending

Washington Seattle - accepted (full funding)

UT Austin - accepted (full funding)

Michigan - accepted (MS only)

MIT - rejected

NSF GRFP - unknown

I just accepted UIUC and have officially turned down my other offers. 

CONGRATS!!!!!

I made the decision to attend the University of Minnesota for a master's degree with an RA to study nitrogen removal technologies for wastewater treatment. Hopefully I'll be marketable with that degree and background!

I have an acceptance from CEE at UCLA. On the CEE, UCLA website it says the average time to finish the program is 3 quarters. This is something that doesn't make sense to me at all. I am guessing it is probably a typing mistake because for all other branches Mech., Chem. etc the average time to finish is shown to be 5 quarters.

Can somebody help me out here?

I have an acceptance from CEE at UCLA. On the CEE, UCLA website it says the average time to finish the program is 3 quarters. This is something that doesn't make sense to me at all. I am guessing it is probably a typing mistake because for all other branches Mech., Chem. etc the average time to finish is shown to be 5 quarters.

Can somebody help me out here?

I have acceptance from UC Berkley, and their Masters program (in Structures) is 2-3 semesters too. I am actually happy though  :D, since this is my last degree. It means I can get it sooner!

On UCLA CEE site it says three quarters....3 semesters I can very well understand. But an MS with thesis in 9 months. Hard to believe, is not it. I am thinking it could be a typing mistake. 

I applied to Berkeley too. But it was ambitious, may be too ambitious. Do you have any results pendingÉ

Edited by but_if

On UCLA CEE site it says three quarters....3 semesters I can very well understand. But an MS with thesis in 9 months. Hard to believe, is not it. I am thinking it could be a typing mistake. 

I applied to Berkeley too. But it was ambitious, may be too ambitious. Do you have any results pendingÉ

Well it is 9 months if you decide not to TA. Otherwise, you'll need the summer too! I accepted the offer. I had offers from UIUC and UofT too. I also had rejections from MIT and Stanford.