Fall 2014 Civil and Environmental Engineering

jacket24

I seriously hope that is not the case for environmental, otherwise I will try to get my application fee back. It seems as though this week is going by particularly slowly since we are nearing the end but at least we're getting closer with every hour.

And this wait is killing me, now this. I am seriously fed up if this is true. Why would they make us wait if that is the case? I really wish someone could call them and ask. I see that many universities are late at sending negative results while we go through such a stressful phase while waiting.

Hah! Awesome.  I've come to loathe the number "3,591".  That's the number of new e-mail I've retained in my Gmail account since a couple months ago when decision season began.  So at any second I can look up in my Firefox tab and see "Inbox (3,591)" and realize that I have no new e-mail. 

People had it easy 10-20 years ago when all you had to do was wait for the mail to arrive in a given day.  If you got nothing, you could rest assured that nothing would change in the following 24 hours. 

Yours is 3,591? Mine is 14,166... I treat it with equal contempt though!

Well, it's Thursday, and it appears MIT is going to use every last minute for their decisions.  I'm just going to assume we won't hear anything until 11:59 Saturday night.  Interestingly, this week has been very quiet for all MIT departments except for a rash of Master of Architecture rejects that came in the last day or so.

OK the logjam appears to be clearing.  Two people just posted results, one was a reject for MIT Civil (Transportation) and one was a reject for Environmental.  Somehow this makes me relieved that I'll be hearing something soon, even though this is consistent with the announcement that someone posted more than a week ago!

MIT reject. Actually super ok with it. I think others were a probably a better fit. I hope other people get better results. Narrowed my decision down to two schools, one if funding doesn't go through. I feel so much more relaxed now.

Microbiology, there is a specific name but I forget what it is. Email, I haven't gotten on to the website yet to see if it is also updated. Anther girl in my lab got the exact same email at the same time. So maybe no response is good, since I know other people without decision yet.

Well, MIT rejection just came in. This is a tough nut to crack. The rejection stings, mostly because I want to get up and be part of the MIT ecosystem, the department itself was a poor fit for my research background and interests.  One more application still outstanding to a different MIT department, we'll see how this one goes.

Edited by phdcandidate022014

Berkeley contacted me to send more transcripts (I have studied abroad and sometimes it is difficult for universities to understand the grading system). When I called the admissions office to clear things up the woman told me that just were trying to get everything in line and "don't worry this is a good sign" Sounds like they may be close to making decisions (two weeks maybe)

I was Just wondering what your profile was and when you got admits to UIUC and UT Austin. I applied to those schools PhD civil engineering (construction management) and I have still not heard back... :(

Hi, 

Does anybody know about U mass Dartmouth? Has anybody even applied to this school? I have only applied to 5 universities. only heard from one (admission - no fund as for now). 

I really hope to be admitted for U mass Dartmouth and I am getting more and more anxious because I am not hearing back from them. 

If you people have applied and heard back, please let me know.

Hello. I have an update. I was admitted to the MIT M.Eng program for Geotechnics. Never give up!

Congratulation! I got a couple of friends accepted by the  M.eng program .  I myself got a rej. letter of M.S program. Sigh...

I applied to the MS program in Environmental Chemistry at MIT and I still have not heard back. Given the fact that an "Education agent" in China has already shown the acceptance obtained by it clients on the website, I think my rejection is on its way. 

I applied to the MS program in Environmental Chemistry at MIT and I still have not heard back. Given the fact that an "Education agent" in China has already shown the acceptance obtained by it clients on the website, I think my rejection is on its way. 

Different programs may have different time for their decision release....

Good luck to you..

Berkeley's application status website is currently down (for me at least)...any chance this means they're posting decisions or am I just reading too much into it? Seems strange that they would do anything on the weekend but crazier things have happened.

Was thinking about the same thing, the website is down, our constant checking maybe the reason why it is down :D.

Btw i just saw a phd admit to transportation on the results page hence sth is wrong two contradicting results. At least one or maybe both are fake?

Sooo.... Updates

Illinois - Accepted (funding pending)

Berkeley - Accepted (unfunded :( )

Washington Seattle - Visiting/Interview (March 12th) High hopes, I was told they do not accept PhD without at least some partial funding so at least I won't have a Berkeley situation.

MIT - No Contact (anyone heard from them, do they conduct interviews? I know visitation is not until April)

Michigan - No Contact (implied rejection or wait list since interview/visit weekend is in two weeks)

Texas - Unofficial Acceptance - (possible tuition waiver)

Did they officially announce that they were not funding you at UC Berkeley? Or they just didn't talk about it? Because I have gotten an admission, but have not heard anything about funding? They said in their admission letter that decisions on fundings will follow up in another email. So should I be disappointed? Or do I have hopes of receiving funding?

So for Berkeley I never heard anything so I called to discuss and was told that all the funding offer were already sent out. I also received another email from a POI confirming the decision. I would just email or call though to know for sure.

So for Berkeley I never heard anything so I called to discuss and was told that all the funding offer were already sent out. I also received another email from a POI confirming the decision. I would just email or call though to know for sure.

Yea, I got an email on that too. This sucks. What is the tuition for MS in Civil Engineering for internationals? Do you happen to know?

I don't know if that is all of the department although I know people who already have offers for structures and environmental. I think international is just out of state 26-28K I think

I don't know if that is all of the department although I know people who already have offers for structures and environmental. I think international is just out of state 26-28K I think

Haha, better than I thought!