Fall 2014 Civil and Environmental Engineering

jacket24

Waiting is a pain. Especially when you had an interview that seemed pretty good and now had to wait. Poi is still telling me to wait patiently, I hope this is not one of those cruel cases where I wait just to get a bland rejection email in the end. But waiting for it this much (I know PhD app is somehow different than MS applications) really puts so much stress on me.

Oh dear, no feedback for me from Stanford yet. And this thread made me realize visitation is March 10 (even though I'm International and couldn't attend either way). It's safe to say I can cross Stanford off my list.  :unsure:

dh790, I'm in the same boat.  I'm also international and haven't heard from Stanford. Applied to the EFMH program for an M.S. Saw that some people already have their EFMH M.S. admission results (good and bad) on the results page today. Not sure if this is a good or bad sign, but I'm having a mini freak out right now.  Ughgh!!!  I'm just so full of anxiety now.  Anyone have some reassurance for me? 

Well, this week begins the waiting period for MIT Civil/Environmental.  Be sure to post when you hear your decision.  Hopefully the notifications arrive earlier in the week rather than the tail end. 

One thing I will note is that it is not out of the question for people to receive admissions decisions (positive) after the official visitation weekend.  Case in point, one of the programs I'm applying to has a visit date of 3/14.  Given that the visit date is coming soon, I e-mailed the admissions office and asked when we would hear.  They stated that most of the admissions decisions have not been made and that they hope to finish by mid-March.  When I replied and said "does that mean we may hear a decision (positive) after the visit date?", they replied that while not ideal, it is definitely possible.

Well, this week begins the waiting period for MIT Civil/Environmental.  Be sure to post when you hear your decision.  Hopefully the notifications arrive earlier in the week rather than the tail end. 

One thing I will note is that it is not out of the question for people to receive admissions decisions (positive) after the official visitation weekend.  Case in point, one of the programs I'm applying to has a visit date of 3/14.  Given that the visit date is coming soon, I e-mailed the admissions office and asked when we would hear.  They stated that most of the admissions decisions have not been made and that they hope to finish by mid-March.  When I replied and said "does that mean we may hear a decision (positive) after the visit date?", they replied that while not ideal, it is definitely possible.

Probably would be in the end of this week since the first day nothing in my mailbox. I think I could cross MIT off my expectation list..Same with Stanford and Caltech. 

Probably would be in the end of this week since the first day nothing in my mailbox. I think I could cross MIT off my expectation list..Same with Stanford and Caltech. 

Well, keep in mind that someone from this thread called MIT Civil/Environmental and they were told that all decisions for MIT Civil/Env would be made by the end of this week.  So you still have a shot there! 

I personally find people's acceptance news interesting. So here is mine: (And I have listed them based on my preference)

All applications are for MS / MASc in Structural Engineering (more specifically Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering).

MIT - Waiting

Stanford - Waiting

UC Berkeley - Admitted

UIUC - Waiting

UofT - Waiting (the prof said he will accept me, but I don't have an official acceptance yet).

Anyone else check their emails like 50 times a day?

I personally find people's acceptance news interesting. So here is mine: (And I have listed them based on my preference)

All applications are for MS / MASc in Structural Engineering (more specifically Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering).

MIT - Waiting

Stanford - Waiting

UC Berkeley - Admitted

UIUC - Waiting

UofT - Waiting (the prof said he will accept me, but I don't have an official acceptance yet).

Anyone else check their emails like 50 times a day?

My favorite is the "sour grapes response": "I didn't want to go there anyway". 

I have my e-mail open continuously and tend to check it shortly after a new one comes in.  I've developed quite a distaste for any e-mail that comes in that isn't associated with a decision, particularly in this last week when I've been expecting decisions from a couple schools.

Although I did not apply to this program specifically, I too, obsessively check my e-mail, my application page (redundant), my Linkedin, academia, mail, phone, etc.

Logic tells me this is utterly futile, and yet - the compulsive behavior remains.

I personally enjoy the frequent checking.  It's been a little maddening because I got a couple of my acceptances very early on (which sounds kind of crummy to say, because on the flipside it was great getting acceptances to excellent programs right off the bat), so my expectations for the other programs have been very high, which has led to some frustration.  I'm at peace knowing that in about two weeks I won't be waiting for any more decisions and can move on to the next phase. 

It can't be said enough how stressful this whole experience has been. A nice prep for grad school, if nothing else...

If only they give a specific date for their decision. We don't even know when they begin to review our profiles ....a sad thing when you are waiting something with great expectation. A torturing feeling especially when I open my mailbox everyday in the morning. It is 6.am in the morning in my country when it the 6 am in America. The mixture of feelings. oh.......

I personally enjoy the frequent checking.  It's been a little maddening because I got a couple of my acceptances very early on (which sounds kind of crummy to say, because on the flipside it was great getting acceptances to excellent programs right off the bat), so my expectations for the other programs have been very high, which has led to some frustration.  I'm at peace knowing that in about two weeks I won't be waiting for any more decisions and can move on to the next phase. 

I hope I could be in that same kind of inner peace. But the thing is, the last semester in my college and I got really plenty of staffs to do everyday. Really Stressful...

I have never been more acutely aware of how much junk mail I recieve everyday.

This week is endless.

Hah! Awesome.  I've come to loathe the number "3,591".  That's the number of new e-mail I've retained in my Gmail account since a couple months ago when decision season began.  So at any second I can look up in my Firefox tab and see "Inbox (3,591)" and realize that I have no new e-mail. 

People had it easy 10-20 years ago when all you had to do was wait for the mail to arrive in a given day.  If you got nothing, you could rest assured that nothing would change in the following 24 hours. 

I seriously hope that is not the case for environmental, otherwise I will try to get my application fee back. It seems as though this week is going by particularly slowly since we are nearing the end but at least we're getting closer with every hour.