Formal Theory - GRE, GPA requirements?

zudei

Hi everyone,

I just gave the GRE and was a little disappointed with my results. I was aiming for >165 V and Q, especially Q because I am applying for formal theory and I only have a master's degree in Economics to my name, with very few maths courses. My grad GPA, according to online conversions (it is a French master's degree in Economics, very quant heavy) is 3.5. I gave the GRE today and got the following score: 163 Q, 166 V, I don't know what my AW score is yet, but I am hoping for >=5 (my writing skills in general are quite tidy).

Will this "profile" stand me in good chance at top political science programmes, given that my research interests are formal theory (behavioural game theory and social choice theory)? I have tons of research experience (3 Research Internships + currently a Research Fellow at a Think Tank working on environmental policy), a masters thesis and a conference presentation + subsequent submission for publication (in January) on behavioral patterns from two recent indian elections.

If you'd prefer I present all this information in the standard "profile evaluation" format, let me know. I began this post just to speak about the GRE and GPA but thought it prudent to include further information about my "profile".

Thanks!

Your stats are fine, but I am wondering why are you going to emphasize social choice theory? I have 4 friends doing econ Ph.D.'s, therefore, I am stuck listening to them about what fields are marketable, what math background you need, etc. Very few economists do social choice theory because it requires a very strong background in math (advisors do discourage their students from pursuing it if they do not have a math background because it is very technical) and the market for social choice theorists is terrible. HOWEVER, I do not know what the situation is in Political Science. You don't need a math background to be admitted to Political Science programs. I think you should ask your Professors if this is something you should be emphasizing in your SoP. The fact that it is frowned upon in top Econ programs is troubling...

Thanks a lot takemycoffeeblack, cooperstreet and luckyducky. I guess I was just a little shocked not to break the 165 barrier. I'll just finetune the rest of my app now. That's the most I can do!

luckyducky, I made a mistake, I am interested in public choice - elections, voting etc.

Thanks a lot takemycoffeeblack, cooperstreet and luckyducky. I guess I was just a little shocked not to break the 165 barrier. I'll just finetune the rest of my app now. That's the most I can do!

luckyducky, I made a mistake, I am interested in public choice - elections, voting etc.

Seriously, is 165 really a barrier for both Q and V?