Scared?

Guest shelly

Guest Ms. Geology

If you really feel that you do not need the break before the program, then go for it. I personally took off a year, and so I have no problem starting early. I will actually be doing field work this summer, so it is not quite the same, but it is still working with the professor. I feel I will be more comfortable with my place when the regular semester begins than the other newbies just arriving.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

History_Nerd, Colorado is for people that like cold weather. Think about it. People in warmer states tend to lose their virginity at an earlier age because they're already wearing less clothes which arouses the hormones... (No, I don't know if this has been scientificially proven)

guys, there must be some crazy party girls somewhere around you... don't lose hope, just learn where to look

in my city the spring just arrived and the entire female population immediately switched to skirts. and that significantly simplifies sex life :)

I agree, there must be a connection between the weather and the amount of sex people have in any given location. maybe I should do my thesis on this topic? what do you think? or is it too obvious to even bother?

and I definitely recommend my strategy to all soon to be grad students, it works. (plus you loose weight, this sex thing burns calories big time. I gotta grab something to eat...)

have fun

Hahah! This conversation reminds me of last summer in London. They had a really hot summer, and our apartment flats didn't have A/C. There wasn't a lot of spending the night with other people because it was so hot (and in a group of 200, 20-22 year olds, that is very strange).

History_Nerd, Colorado is for people that like cold weather. Think about it. People in warmer states tend to lose their virginity at an earlier age because they're already wearing less clothes which arouses the hormones... (No, I don't know if this has been scientificially proven)

Siiiggggghhhhh . . . . I grew up in Minnesota. Sadness. Seeing a girl in a tank top still gives my system a shock. Actually, Colorado is much milder than I anticipated. Like I said, I am pretty much Canadian (eh?), but I've been here since Jan. and only once did the word, "cold" ever enter my mind when it maybe hit ten degrees. It has been sunny and 70 pretty much all April. Still - I'm thinking California will be a bit more, shall we say, scantaly clad (if that is even how you spell the cliche).

Here is to burning off calories. Cheers!

Siiiggggghhhhh . . . . I grew up in Minnesota. Sadness. Seeing a girl in a tank top still gives my system a shock. Actually, Colorado is much milder than I anticipated. Like I said, I am pretty much Canadian (eh?), but I've been here since Jan. and only once did the word, "cold" ever enter my mind when it maybe hit ten degrees. It has been sunny and 70 pretty much all April. Still - I'm thinking California will be a bit more, shall we say, scantaly clad (if that is even how you spell the cliche).

Here is to burning off calories. Cheers!

In Mississippi, it gets 100+ and add in about 80% humidity. HOT! We go strapless...

:wink:

Sadly for you History_Nerd, the San Francisco Bay area is not known for its warmth. Good luck with that anyways!

Something tells me that it will be better than the 80 degrees BELOW windchill that I experienced in Morris, Minnesota. We had to wear ski goggles to go to class. Chicago isn't any fun weather wise either. Maybe the worst sunburn I've ever had was after the Taste of Chicago.

Mild. Is. Good.

Guest shelly

I will definitely give that a shot. I have a job right now, but I'll have to quit because I have to move when I graduate because I live on campus. I have no place to live down here so I have to go ahead and get an apartment in the grad school city. I'm going to have to have a job, probably a crappy one, for the summer...i would love to start early...if it was funded.

great news! i called and asked about a summer research assistantship and i got one with a stipend! the prof said that such a stipend is rarely available at this time, so i'm lucky! thanks everyone for your advice!!!!!!! i really thought they would turn me down. i'm so excited to get started in a few weeks! :D

Guest guest

I'm scared, but not really much about the academics. I'm more afraid of leaving southern California (where I've lived my whole life) to the east coast. I'm just nervous about adjusting to the new environment and experiencing my first winter (btw... 55 degrees is really cold for me). I have never lived more than 15 mins away from the beach..... eeek. It's a huge change.

Going to college was so much more exciting because I hated the little suburb I lived in and anywhere seemed so much cooler than where I grew up. Making friends was easy because it seemed like every freshmen was eager to have a social life, make friends, and were still naive and innocent.

I was excited about going to grad school and moving and now I'm terrified. I'm having second thoughts about moving and leaving LA. I'm going straight out of undergrad and still want a social life. I'm not sure if grad students have much of that. I'm used to being in a sorority and greek life and now I'm gonna be a part of a cohort filled with intelligent, academically oriented people (most likely will be older than me) at an Ivy league.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about being scared, I'm starting to get nervous about the academics now.

Guest guest

I did an undergraduate research summer program in a psychology/neural science department at Indiana Univ. The phd students definitely had a social life. they worked hard and played hard. they went out a lot and had a lot of friends. there were 2 students in my lab working on qualifying exams and one stopped going out for a few weeks so she could finish on time. i could handle that.

so i'm not too worried about a lack of social life. hopefully i won't be caught off guard in grad school since it will be a different program and school and everything. i don't really need to go out all the time, but i definitely hope there is time to hang out with friends and get to know people...and go out sometimes.

:)

the only thing that scares me is living in a tiny little town of 30 000. I now live in a city 20 times bigger than that and I see it as too small for me. my ideal city should have at least 2 milion people. so I'm just hoping I'll have enough time to spend some weekends in NYC (some current grad students said it's very possible :) )

K, Now I am getting nervous about the whole idea to begin Graduate school in less than three month, my English is really bad and in few moth I will have to do everything in English, I can't see myself setting in a class and talking notes.

I get a great financial aid, what if they will find out that I am not so good as they think, I can not remember anything from my undergrad degree (which I finished a year ago). I have one year to prove myself academically and to get used to they new environment.

What is the worst case? that I will be "thrown" away from the department!!!!

• 11 months later...

Hey Shaddy,

You need to have some self-respect...... Im not trying to put anyone down, but you got in because the admissions office saw something in your past academic accomplishments.....so make the most out of your grad studies, have confidence and work hard =) Good luck.

K, Now I am getting nervous about the whole idea to begin Graduate school in less than three month, my English is really bad and in few moth I will have to do everything in English, I can't see myself setting in a class and talking notes.

I get a great financial aid, what if they will find out that I am not so good as they think, I can not remember anything from my undergrad degree (which I finished a year ago). I have one year to prove myself academically and to get used to they new environment.

What is the worst case? that I will be "thrown" away from the department!!!!

Hey Shaddy,

You need to have some self-respect...... Im not trying to put anyone down, but you got in because the admissions office saw something in your past academic accomplishments.....so make the most out of your grad studies, have confidence and work hard =) Good luck.

I doubt it's an issue of not having self-respect. Grad school is a pretty big step for a lot of people, but going someplace where your professors and fellow classmates speak a different language and doing grad level work is a pretty intense thing. It's natural to feel some intimidation. If there's one thing I've learned on my trips overseas, it's that you don't appreciate the challenge of a language barrier until you have to navigate in a strange city where everyone speaks a totally different language from your native tongue...

• 11 months later...

i definitely sometimes slip into worry-mode about not being able to keep up with my fellow students/impress my professors. i was ranked #1 in my incoming class, and got a special award, and i am afraid that once we begin, everyone will realize that i didn't deserve it and it should have gone to someone else... :(

i know i am probably just being paranoid! but sometimes it's hard not to...