E-mailing POI post-submission

pachel

I did not email any professors about programs prior to the application process. I did mention specific professors whose work fit with mine and who I would be potentially interested in working with for each program though, either in my statement of purpose or in a separate part of the application that asked that question. 

Now that I have submitted my applications, is it a good idea to contact the profs whose names I mentioned? Just to say hi, who I am, that I mentioned them in my app, would love a chance to meet with them if I come for a visit/interview? I thought it would be helpful if the application is not the first time they see my name and that I'm interested in their research, but I don't want to be annoying/forward by emailing them, especially after my applications have already been submitted. Thoughts?

I think that sending emails now would be fine - I've been in touch with a lot of my POI's both before and after submission, and they've all been courteous and willing to help. Don't expect all of them to respond (I'm sure they get a ton of emails this time of year), but even if they just see something from you in their inbox it can only help your application. Many professors even expressed that they appreciated seeing somebody who was willing to actively pursue what they wanted to do in graduate school, so you'll leave a good impression. Just remember to use your professional or university email so your letter doesn't go straight to their junk =) 

I agree with the No. If you are invited for an interview, than it's would be bad to Not contact. But now - it would not help. I would think that it could be even slightly irritating as there must be hundreds of such e-mails they get now. What is the point anyway?

If your POI is in the committee than he/she has already the access to your file.

If your POI is not in the committee, he/she does not have influence (and, I believe, simply interest) to the application process. Only if they would know you in person.

If the POI is interested in anybody who would mention him/her in the statement of purpose then he/she would ask the committee to forward those files.

As far as I know, usually firstly the committee decides who  they want to invite then they pass the files to the potential POIs. And if you are invited it's better to arrange the meetings with your POIs.

If it is a small program then all professors who are interested in students have access to all the files.

All we can do now is to wait.  

One note on using your professional email though - make sure your company allows this! I work for a museum and I know that while it would look good to send an email from my museum account, sending non-work-related emails using the company emails is against our code of conduct. I've used my personal gmail account and so far that's been fine - I've usually gotten a reply of some sort - a few too many of the "I'm retiring soon and not taking students anymore" variety, none-the-less, a reply.

I'd say no. I was meeting with my professor while he was checking his email. He briefly opened a letter from a grad applicant sending him a post-application email, and was sort of like "yeah, ok." I asked, "did this guy email you before?" And he was like, "I don't know," in a dismissive way. It's possible that he went back later and responded to the applicant. But it was clear he viewed his email as a mild nuisance, or at least as something unnecessary that he wasn't going to spend much time on.

Maybe if he actually remembered the guy's previous emails, it would've been different, though. But I'd wait until you've been invited for an interview. 

• 4 weeks later...