The Waiting Game - Fall 2014

monfemme

I just realized that potentially came off wrong because of your username! Haha.. My friend does Mesoamerican archaeology and got rejected. :P

Haha!  Thanks for letting me know, now I'm even more curious since I assumed all the archaeologists were getting radio silence

Are there any archaeology applicants who heard from UNC Chapel Hill?  I didn't get anything with the wave of results the other day, so I'm wondering if archaeology is just running behind...

I have a friend who focuses on US mid-Atlantic historical archaeology and was admitted (and just accepted the offer) into UNC Chapel Hill Anthropology PhD. program. 

Edited by sweetpearl16

Sarab I secretly hope you end up in San Diego so we can be there together. Go for the good weather!!!

Awww <3 Maybe I'll end up there! I don't know yet! But yes, it'd be good to have a friend wherever I end up. :)

Hey guys! I've been following this board for quite some time. Everyone is so wonderful and supportive. Congrats on acceptances! If anyone applied to Pitt, I'm an undergrad here, and the archaeology and physical anthropology results should be out already. Cultural anthropology is notifying soon. 

I've been waiting to hear back from a school since my interview in mid February. I know that they're taking two out of the five they interviewed, but I haven't heard a thing for two weeks. I'm mostly worried because one of the profs told me that they would be sending out notifications the week after my interview. Do schools send out acceptances and then just not tell people that they waitlist? I'm seriously freaking out here...

Here's the response from Columbia:

"Your application is still under review. We expect that the faculty committee on admissions will return Ph.D. decisions by mid March. You will be notified via email when a decision has been reached."

So I suppose it was just a generic response. The individuals who already have been accepted must have been unofficially notified by POI's I'm assuming. Not really much of a clarification, but at least it still lets me hold out a little hope.

Academia.edu's notifications are so incredibly stressful! I interviewed at a schoollast week, and someone from that city just searched me a few minutes ago. They're supposed to be making decisions right now, so I feel like my entire future is being decided at this very second. I know I must sound incredibly melodramatic, but I'm a ball of nerves right now! Anyone else obsessively checking who is looking them up on academia.edu? 

I posted this elsewhere, but there is a faculty meeting at Yale tomorrow according to their calendar. I wonder if further admission decisions will be made…any guesses? So far, only three acceptances...

I know, I didn't get an interview but hope is alive as have heard nothing about waitlist either from Yale. I think tomm maybe a crucial day

@Melin4- yes! Last weekend someone form a school I am waiting on searched me and then a couple of days later a search from 30 minutes away from that city. I haven't heard anything yet. What are the chances our academia.edu account will give them any new or better info not mentioned in the SOP or CV?? Who knows

@Fasboo- I agree with you. Some people got acceptances for Yale, 3 I believe, so there is still room! 

Academia.edu's notifications are so incredibly stressful! I interviewed at a schoollast week, and someone from that city just searched me a few minutes ago. They're supposed to be making decisions right now, so I feel like my entire future is being decided at this very second. I know I must sound incredibly melodramatic, but I'm a ball of nerves right now! Anyone else obsessively checking who is looking them up on academia.edu? 

fingers crossed for you! Sounds like a positive sign.

Anyone claim a stanford acceptance, I've been alternated by them and wondering if other folks are making decisions or waitlisted as well?

I wish it was me fasboo, but unfortunately I did not receive an interview. I am impatiently waiting for my rejection so I can move on.  Congrats to you though, that is amazing! 

Edited by Forsaken in LA

@Melin4- yes! Last weekend someone form a school I am waiting on searched me and then a couple of days later a search from 30 minutes away from that city. I haven't heard anything yet. What are the chances our academia.edu account will give them any new or better info not mentioned in the SOP or CV?? Who knows

@Fasboo- I agree with you. Some people got acceptances for Yale, 3 I believe, so there is still room! 

Same thing happened before when I was waitlisted at Stanford - a few people from cities around Palo Alto searched for me a couple of days before I got the email! I really hope it means good news are on your (our!) way! 

Broke down and emailed a contact on the adcomm at Rutgers.  Will report back.

ETA: Unrelated, but did anyone's Columbia status page change a little?  It seems to have added "Fall 2014" to the Application Management page (in addition and to the right of the blue "2014 Fall") link.  Then when you click the "2014 Fall" link, it brings up a little window.  That window now has this in "Details":

Fall 2014, Anthropology, Ph.D.

2014 Fall

I know it sounds crazy, but I swear there weren't that many 2014s earlier today! Anyone else?

Edited by NOWAYNOHOW

Haha.. I always check to see who is looking me up! For the last week all my searches are local to me though! Secret crushes? Stalking exes? Probably not POIs, lol. 

Broke down and emailed a contact on the adcomm at Rutgers.  Will report back.

ETA: Unrelated, but did anyone's Columbia status page change a little?  It seems to have added "Fall 2014" to the Application Management page (in addition and to the right of the blue "2014 Fall") link.  Then when you click the "2014 Fall" link, it brings up a little window.  That window now has this in "Details":

Fall 2014, Anthropology, Ph.D.

2014 Fall

I know it sounds crazy, but I swear there weren't that many 2014s earlier today! Anyone else?

Mine says that too... I hope that means something!! Like maybe good??? Hahah I don't know how, but I'll take any hope at this point!!

Mine says that too... I hope that means something!! Like maybe good??? Hahah I don't know how, but I'll take any hope at this point!!

HA! I was freaking out over it.  Maybe it just changed for everybody?  OY, parsing the littlest details

HA! I was freaking out over it.  Maybe it just changed for everybody?  OY, parsing the littlest details

Yeah, mine says that, too. I would hope it means something good but I'm not expecting a good result from Columbia so maybe I'm just reading it too negatively.

Same thing happened before when I was waitlisted at Stanford - a few people from cities around Palo Alto searched for me a couple of days before I got the email! I really hope it means good news are on your (our!)

Hey melian4 - what track did u apply for at stanford? I was culture and society/ political anthro- I think we have more of a chance if someone from our track or sub-field decline

I still have not heard from even half of my schools! Gah! I'm pretty sure I'm just waiting on rejection letters, but until I have them in hand....

Me neither! Hang in there... we can do this. I hope.

PS- To whomever emailed UPenn: you're fantastic! Thank you!

I was told by someone in the admissions department that FSU had their final Classical Arch admissions meeting last Weds - still nada yet. I'm assuming if you don't hear fairly soon after the final decisions it's probably a no?