The Waiting Game - Fall 2014

monfemme

haha yeah, must've missed it! Luckily I spoke with someone in admissions the other day, and she said a missing signature page wouldn't hold up an application. She also said I could e-mail it! So do that, screencheck! I didn't actually have to physically mail anything to CUNY other than transcripts; I sent everything via e-mail. Also, the signature page doesn't show up as a requirement on my application summary...? Anyone else?

Edited by xstopfloating

Got into SOAS London for a taught Masters!  Anthropology of Travel Tourism and Pilgrimage.  No funding, but will apply to a couple of scholarships.  They seem pretty competitive so we'll see...  The decision time was super fast!  It took only a little bit over a week to get the decision.  Good luck to everyone!!!!!  This is the first school I've heard from.

Sort of unrelated: I was thinking I'd like to give my recommenders a little something to thank them for their role in helping my academic career along.  Have any of you done this?  One was my mentor and we were somewhat close (we're friends on Facebook), so I think I will send her wine.  The others I'm not quite as well acquainted with and I would like to give them a small token while remaining professional.  Have any of you done this?  Would a card suffice?  Any other ideas?

I sent all of them a hand written thank you card and a gift card for somewhere they like. Nothing huge, just a little thank you. I'm a few years removed from school, so it was a bit outside their normal letter writing to do this for me. And since it was near the holidays, I said my thank yous and happy holidays. 

Thanks all!  I also just sent Boston an e-mail asking about my application, since someone posted they had done it and gotten a response!

As for gifts, i'm thinking of sending all the people who helped me with my applications some kind of gifts.  Maybe food?  I'm overseas though so hmmm...lots of fun options!  

Good luck today everybody!  Stay positive!

I'm not feeling very positive today. What's the deal with Columbia? their application was due by December 3 I think and I haven't heard a peep from them.  It's like I basically made a $105 dollar donation to GSAS. For several of these programs I feel this same way. Stanford too. The application was due quite a while ago, and I got zero response from any faculty who I contacted.  I'm not even sure why I went along with the application. I'm just worried I suppose that I would have heard something from at least one school by now.   :angry:

Already heard back from Boston, rejected!  Boo!  "In a particularly strong year of applicants, we are not able to offer admissions to many fine young scholars." 

Ah well.  Just glad I got an acceptance first.  Softened the blow a bit.  Don't give up you guys!!!!!!!!!!  

It is already evening here, another day has passed. Before I was being very hopeful until the next day (i.e. night in the USA) but after a while I gave up. If it is evening here and I heard nothing, then it is an empty day. So bored!

I'm not feeling very positive today. What's the deal with Columbia? their application was due by December 3 I think and I haven't heard a peep from them.  It's like I basically made a $105 dollar donation to GSAS. For several of these programs I feel this same way. Stanford too. The application was due quite a while ago, and I got zero response from any faculty who I contacted.  I'm not even sure why I went along with the application. I'm just worried I suppose that I would have heard something from at least one school by now.   :angry:

I hear you on that. I figured they would have been one of the first to get back to me, but none of the ones with December deadlines have said ANYTHING. I feel like I'm living out "Waiting for Godot." If not today, then surely tomorrow :|

It seems like Stanford is running late this season.  I saw two interview posts on the results search last week, and then silence.  I wonder what gives? 

-Also, my applyweb never changed to reflect official transcripts received.  Whats the deal with this? 

I hear you on that. I figured they would have been one of the first to get back to me, but none of the ones with December deadlines have said ANYTHING. I feel like I'm living out "Waiting for Godot." If not today, then surely tomorrow :|

Oh yeah it does feel like I'm in "Waiting for Godot". Sigh! When will this end?

Oh yeah it does feel like I'm in "Waiting for Godot". Sigh! When will this end?

Surely tomorrow. Nothing to be done (I'm sorry, I'll stop). 

Really hoping things don't come on Friday. I can't be worrying about these or getting rejections right as I'm giving a talk about the project on which I'm staking my future. 

Surely tomorrow. Nothing to be done (I'm sorry, I'll stop). 

Really hoping things don't come on Friday. I can't be worrying about these or getting rejections right as I'm giving a talk about the project on which I'm staking my future. 

Is it for a job? Good luck on both things!

Is it for a job? Good luck on both things!

I wish! It's at a grad student conference. I went last year with my other project (a history/historical anth one) and this year I'm going with my current project. I just had the same thing happen to me at another conference last year: I was giving a talk about my project at a school to which I'd applied with my project and got a text from my friend who was housesitting that I'd gotten a rejection letter from that very school. I've already decided if I don't get in anywhere, I'll just try to work in the industry I'm studying for a while. I just want this long nightmare of waiting to be over D; 

Edit: I forgot to say thank you! I'm so rude D; 

Edited by skylarking

I wish! It's at a grad student conference. I went last year with my other project (a history/historical anth one) and this year I'm going with my current project. I just had the same thing happen to me at another conference last year: I was giving a talk about my project at a school to which I'd applied with my project and got a text from my friend who was housesitting that I'd gotten a rejection letter from that very school. I've already decided if I don't get in anywhere, I'll just try to work in the industry I'm studying for a while. I just want this long nightmare of waiting to be over D; 

Edit: I forgot to say thank you! I'm so rude D; 

Well, I really hope the conference goes well and hope you get some good news soon! I know you applied to UCSD, and they're sending out decisions soon, so good luck!

Checking in here! I've gotten responses from Brandeis and UAlbany... Still waiting for UCR, Cornell and BU (archaeo dept). Please let me know if anyone hears anything, the waiting is killing my soul. Good luck!

Same with Cornell. And Boston(arch). And Upenn...

I have a feeling Penn will be next week. They said mid-feb when I interviewed back in Dec. but with the snow I'd tack on a few days.

Same with Cornell. And Boston(arch). And Upenn...

I will definitely let you know if I hear anything. I would have thought Cornell would be up by now. I know BU takes a while. :(