The Waiting Game - Fall 2014

monfemme

Everyone is doing such a good job of staying positive! I know i should be too, but sometimes... do any of you legitimately get angry about how long some schools wait to send what must be rejection letters in certain circumstances? It's one thing to drag out an interview process, or have a late deadline, or legitimately be waiting on funding decisions... but some of them have these policies about ONLY sending rejections snail mail and others just seems to inconsiderately put it on the end of their to-dos to send out the "sorry a million people applied and then during interviews each one of you metaphorically gave birth to a unique small miracle and it took us this long to pull names from a fluffy hat, union issues and all..."

sigh. i'm having some feelings today. 

Hahaha I seriously just laughed so much! It really does feel like that though.

Thanks for the comic relief!

Everyone is doing such a good job of staying positive! I know i should be too, but sometimes... do any of you legitimately get angry about how long some schools wait to send what must be rejection letters in certain circumstances? It's one thing to drag out an interview process, or have a late deadline, or legitimately be waiting on funding decisions... but some of them have these policies about ONLY sending rejections snail mail and others just seems to inconsiderately put it on the end of their to-dos to send out the "sorry a million people applied and then during interviews each one of you metaphorically gave birth to a unique small miracle and it took us this long to pull names from a fluffy hat, union issues and all..."

Definitely. The radio silence has gotten to be deafening at times. If I'm wait listed, or even on a short list, I would be thrilled to know, but the silence has just been unbearable. Sending rejections via snail mail still bothers me, too. Especially when you get that envelope, you already know what it is, and it's like thanks for spending all that extra time and effort to not only write out my rejection letter, but print it, stuff it in an envelope, and run it through a postage machine and send it to me. Really makes the rejection seem that much more personal and real. 

After my long weekend away, though, I'm kind of just preferring the sound of silence. Hello, darkness, my old friend...

I was just about to comment on how BU rejected me via email and then informed me specifically that they are also sending a rejection letter via snail mail. In case I didn't get the hint! ;)

OOFYES. bring on the feels! i notice a uchicago rejection on the board, with the threat of more to follow. since someone posted an acceptance call from a poi some days ago, i'm guessing bad news is on the way... 

OOFYES. bring on the feels! i notice a uchicago rejection on the board, with the threat of more to follow. since someone posted an acceptance call from a poi some days ago, i'm guessing bad news is on the way... 

Yeah what's up this? Do some people email POI's and ask them? I don't think I'd do that, but honestly, how does one person get a rejection before everyone else? Possibly a POI that had interest in the candidate, but was unable to accept them? I wish mine would be so merciful.  

Yeah what's up this? Do some people email POI's and ask them? I don't think I'd do that, but honestly, how does one person get a rejection before everyone else? Possibly a POI that had interest in the candidate, but was unable to accept them? I wish mine would be so merciful.  

i know. i shouldn't be so crabby, and it's unfair to expect otherwise, but rejections in generic mass emails sting all the more. 

Did anyone heard from MSU? There is one acceptance posted like a week ago but I would think there should be more and I haven't heard a thing. Judging by results form previous year it seems like their typical timing is end of Feb./early Mar.

I know this is kinda silly but it's the only phd program left that I think I have a shot so I just want to know...just to get over all this :(

I did that for Uchicago (near eastern studies though). I saw someone was posting an acceptance so I emailed the POI. Nothing to lose after this point. As if I care about my appearance of hysterical obsessive student anymore after 5 rejections.

Cola- I know MSU likes to send results out after a specific conference due to an unfortunate rejected student going up to a prof at the conference and yelling at them.

Also- snail mail isn't all bad. I actually gotten acceptances both ways and I prefer a nice hard copy in my eyes while I read the acceptance. I think they send rejections snail mail so you don't have an email address to reply to in some cases.

Did anyone heard from MSU? There is one acceptance posted like a week ago but I would think there should be more and I haven't heard a thing. Judging by results form previous year it seems like their typical timing is end of Feb./early Mar.

I know this is kinda silly but it's the only phd program left that I think I have a shot so I just want to know...just to get over all this :(

Sorry to scare you cola! The MSU post is mine. Since I received a university-wide fellowship, I believe they let me know early.

Chicago decisions are on their way -- This from Chicago's Division of Social Sciences website: 

Published: February 18, 2014
Announcement Type: 
Admissions

We have begun sending out admissions decisions via email, as of February 17. With nearly 3,000 applications in the Division, the process of confirming and sending decisions is quite lengthy, so please be patient. If you have not received a decision by Friday, March 7, please contact our office at admissions@ssd.uchicago.edu. Once your decision has been released, it will also be available via the online application, athttps://apply-ssd.uchicago.edu/apply/status

Chicago decisions are on their way -- This from Chicago's Division of Social Sciences website: 

Published: February 18, 2014
Announcement Type: 
Admissions

We have begun sending out admissions decisions via email, as of February 17. With nearly 3,000 applications in the Division, the process of confirming and sending decisions is quite lengthy, so please be patient. If you have not received a decision by Friday, March 7, please contact our office at admissions@ssd.uchicago.edu. Once your decision has been released, it will also be available via the online application, athttps://apply-ssd.uchicago.edu/apply/status

Moment of truth for chicago apparently. dun dun dun!!

Any news re: Rutgers?  There was on interview up.  Still no confirmation as to the size of the cohort for CITE. UGH

2-3 is the cohort size and they are meeting this week. 

Cola- I know MSU likes to send results out after a specific conference due to an unfortunate rejected student going up to a prof at the conference and yelling at them.

Also- snail mail isn't all bad. I actually gotten acceptances both ways and I prefer a nice hard copy in my eyes while I read the acceptance. I think they send rejections snail mail so you don't have an email address to reply to in some cases.

Thanks for the scoop!! I'll just be patient and keep myself from freaking out right now

Sorry to scare you cola! The MSU post is mine. Since I received a university-wide fellowship, I believe they let me know early.

Congratulation to you coba!! I didn't hear a thing...mixed feeling right now...

Does the physical anthro acceptance at Vanderbilt mean the rest are coming?

I don't know!!!! I was hoping that person could clarify which POI they indicated they would work with, and whether they had any additional info about the cohort size. When I spoke to my POI, she said she was interested in "bringing in a new graduate student"...so does that literally mean A new graduate student, or graduate students in general? The wait is terrible!!! screencheck, have you had an interview with them at all?

I don't know!!!! I was hoping that person could clarify which POI they indicated they would work with, and whether they had any additional info about the cohort size. When I spoke to my POI, she said she was interested in "bringing in a new graduate student"...so does that literally mean A new graduate student, or graduate students in general? The wait is terrible!!! screencheck, have you had an interview with them at all?

No, I have not. Have you? In fact, I'm not very confident about vandy at all because I contacted a faculty member I was interested in working with like 3 times, prior to applying, with no response. So it was kind of a shot in the dark. I decided to apply anyhow because the program looked so good. 

No, I have not. Have you? In fact, I'm not very confident about vandy at all because I contacted a faculty member I was interested in working with like 3 times, prior to applying, with no response. So it was kind of a shot in the dark. I decided to apply anyhow because the program looked so good. 

No interview...and mixed success in contacting my POI. Initially I got a great response, and then no response to two more emails, and then an email to tell me that the review process had begun and that she was looking closely at my app. So I have no idea how to interpret that, really. The program does look amazing though. For what it's worth, I hope we get in! And that we find out (either way) this week!!

No interview...and mixed success in contacting my POI. Initially I got a great response, and then no response to two more emails, and then an email to tell me that the review process had begun and that she was looking closely at my app. So I have no idea how to interpret that, really. The program does look amazing though. For what it's worth, I hope we get in! And that we find out (either way) this week!!

sounds like you are in good shape then. I hope we get in too, but I'm certainly not counting on it haha

So about that. Knowing their average cohort size was roughly 2.nicetry, I hadn't been allowing myself to hope for acceptance to such a perfect program match full of Americas experts and professional development... And now that I've been contacted, I'm a hopin' fool... 

All I know to offer as useful is that they're accepting 3-4 total across all sub-disciplines, they were still interviewing/discussing results yesterday, and from what I see on the Results Search tab, everyone seems to be notified of acceptance willy-nilly, not in one 'annoucement' sweep from the DGS or anything. 

Some universities are really taking their time! CUNY's application deadline was December 1st, and it was also the most expensive one ($125). I haven't heard anything yet. 

Nothing from PSU either. I got a text on Friday from a friend who's a current PhDC there saying "What's your news??" And of course I had none and I got all squirrelly that he knew something that I didn't and he wasn't telling me!!! He just said that he knew they were making decisions soon, but didn't know anything other than that. Gah!!! Frustrating!

Nothing from PSU either. I got a text on Friday from a friend who's a current PhDC there saying "What's your news??" And of course I had none and I got all squirrelly that he knew something that I didn't and he wasn't telling me!!! He just said that he knew they were making decisions soon, but didn't know anything other than that. Gah!!! Frustrating!

Ahhh! Now I'm super nervous! Hopefully good news is coming for both of us soon!