The Waiting Game - Fall 2014

monfemme

Some universities are really taking their time! CUNY's application deadline was December 1st, and it was also the most expensive one ($125). I haven't heard anything yet. 

yea, that was like double all my other applications. not cool CUNY. EVERYTHING is more expensive in New York, including grad apps apparently.

yea, that was like double all my other applications. not cool CUNY. EVERYTHING is more expensive in New York, including grad apps apparently.

Apparently! I just feel like it'd be money well-spent if we get some results soon (hopefully acceptances), right?!

Some universities are really taking their time! CUNY's application deadline was December 1st, and it was also the most expensive one ($125). I haven't heard anything yet.

I know exactly how you feel. Wisconsin & Indiana both had December 1st deadlines and they've been totally silent.

Wisconsin I'm super surprised about. My friend is there in a different department and they got back to him later last year, but I don't remember it being this late. He's surprised it's taking this long, too. 

Wisconsin I'm super surprised about. My friend is there in a different department and they got back to him later last year, but I don't remember it being this late. He's surprised it's taking this long, too.

I'm waiting on Wisconsin, myself. My top pick, as my oldest daughter lives in Madison.

Frustrated with UofChicago.  I can assume I did not get accepted because I had no interview, and no email yet, but I would have at least liked a rejection letter. 

Don't lose hope! Good luck!

I wish universities were more consistent sending out decisions. I also wish they wouldn't take so long, so that people have time to decide before the deadline to be able to give the opportunity to others, and so that people have time to visit and whatnot. *Sigh*

Was accepted via email to the UCLA Biological Anthropology program, on Friday, to work with Dan Fessler. I am coming from psychology and would really welcome anyone who knows about the program to share input.

Don't lose hope! Good luck!

I wish universities were more consistent sending out decisions. I also wish they wouldn't take so long, so that people have time to decide before the deadline to be able to give the opportunity to others, and so that people have time to visit and whatnot. *Sigh*

Thiiiiiis. Especially when they have such early deadlines for applying. 

I had a dream that I got rather unceremoniously rejected from UCSD, so I'm expecting that letter to come today or tomorrow. They seem to send out acceptances and rejections at or around the same time. No change in my status on the website yet, though. 

I'm also still surprised I haven't heard anything from Toronto. It's been long enough for a snail mail letter to have gotten to my house, though this is probably another instance of me speaking too soon and the letter or email will arrive in the coming days.

Was accepted via email to the UCLA Biological Anthropology program, on Friday, to work with Dan Fessler. I am coming from psychology and would really welcome anyone who knows about the program to share input.

Dan Fessler, despite having the most difficult class I've taken in anthro at UCLA, is an amazing professor. Congrats!

Frustrated with UofChicago.  I can assume I did not get accepted because I had no interview, and no email yet, but I would have at least liked a rejection letter. 

I feel similarly. I am guessing that I didn't get accepted due to none of the acceptances on the results board being mine. Given that not every applicant is on thegradcafe.com, I would imagine that--from the amount of acceptnaces--all yes answers have gone out, and the nos will be soon to follow. I understand the sort of ritualistic nature of this whole process, but it would be really nice to have some certainty, at least as far as a date of notice, or consistency in releasing both positive and negative notices.

Oh well.

I am starting to think that I really underestimated this whole process!

...do you ever get the feeling the Ad Comms lurk on hear, see us talking about "well, according to last year we should start hearing tomorrow!", and just deliberately screw with the timeline to put us in our place?

Haha yes! I get paranoid that they're reading everything we post.

I was actually really scared that someone from the schools I applied to was going to see me freaking out on here and not accept me.  I've been kind of nervous to say where I've been accepted because I thought they would decide not to take me because of my unprofessional online behavior.

Well, let's just hope they understand that we need an outlet during these stressful times, and this is an online community where we can express ourselves and find support. We're excited and anxious about our future!