Teaching

menzies

Isn't it funny how in high school (mine was public), which is free, we usually have teachers that are fully qualified to teach us the topics they are teaching. They are required to have teaching certifications, and are likely to have degrees in the class they teach. At a college or university, which is not free, we usually are taught most of the things we learn from Graduate Student Instructors, which essentially consists of readers of this forum. We are not qualified to teach, we have no teaching certifications, and sometimes we've never taken the classes we are teaching!

Guest daphna

Well, we aren't certified to teach in the sense that we don't have a teaching diploma, but we are certified to teach in the sense that we completed a degree in our field. Also, some schools do have a "learning to teach" program for their grads.

Besides, remember that even when you learn with a professor, that professor also didn't go through teachers training, and is not "certified to teach". They are certified by virtue of the knowledge they acquired during their studies and research. This is the way it has always worked in universities. Even in the middle ages, once you completed a certain level of studies, you were given the title "Magister" (teacher) and that meant you were allowed to teach the course you had finished.

I've already taught some classes, and have in fact started a new teaching program at my current university - which is not only taught by grads, but the entire curriculum and material was created by grads (under the guidance of a professor). And yeah, it's a bit weird the first time you go into a classroom to think "wow, I'm teaching B.A students when last year I WAS a B.A student". In fact, in my first class, I had two students who had been my classmates just the year before that (they were still B.A students, I was already an M.A student). That was definitly strange. But after a while you just realize that this is the way the system goes, and that actually you do have what to teach these people, just by virtue of having already completed your undergrad studies.

Guest guest

Yeah, I think it's ridiculous that 22 years olds are TAs, and personally, as an undergrad I am so glad I did not have TAs teaching my courses. Having said that, teaching high school and college are two different beasts. In k-12, it's more about pedagogy than being an expert in your field. A lot of it is about motivating kids who would rather be watching Jackass and playing Playstation. In college, one would hope the students would be more motivated already, and if not, no sweat on the TA. It's more independent learning anyway. You just come in, share your brilliance, and have your students share theirs.

Guest shelly

i'm definitely worried about TAing. especially since my undergrad major is in another field. i would be teaching soc students who've had more soc courses than me!

i'm pretty sure i don't have to do it next year. and there is a course you have to take for TA training which, while only 1 course, i think will be helpful. one of the programs i was rejected from seemed to have an excellent teaching training program. oh well. i'm happy with where i'm going.

i only had one masters level teacher my entire undergrad and he was bad. the rest had their phds. i wish i could say that i learned from some of the mistakes he made, but i can't even remember them. oops :?

Guest guest

I had to teach a class where some students were a bit older than me. I dressed a bit better and tried appear a bit older and more mature than my age then (22), so that I could be taken seriosuly by the class.

Funny thing is I had some students trying to hit on me! Another was trying to wink at me during the exam, while 2 evaluations said I was a "hot TA". It was quite something.

But then there's nothing like the feeling when after the semester is over, students send emails or card to thank you and how they couldn't have made it through the class without your help. Or when they think highly of you and come to ask you for future course or career advice. Just some of those things why one can love teaching even more.

Guest shelly
But then there's nothing like the feeling when after the semester is over, students send emails or card to thank you and how they couldn't have made it through the class without your help. Or when they think highly of you and come to ask you for future course or career advice. Just some of those things why one can love teaching even more.

Thanks. A good reminder of one reason I got into this in the first place! Good things to look forward to...

Guest another guest

Teaching college is so much fun! I taught at a junior college and TA'd during my MA. Of course, TAing is really easy---you mostly just do grading, attendance, administrative junk. Sometimes schools let you lead a discussion section, but that's usually a small group of students and not so intimidating. You also KNOW what you're going to cover in class, becuase YOU decide, so you can prep beforehand. If you don't know the answer, just be honest and tell the student you'll get back to them and they never seem to mind. Normally, schools won't just put you teaching your own class before you get experience (and they shouldn't!). I'm going for my Ph.D now, because I loved teaching so much.

As long as you don't think of yourself as a teacher (which you are not, you are an assistant) and instead you are there to discuss and learn stuf in your field from the experience of discussion, it is fun and extremely usefull for you as an expert, not only as a future (maybe) teacher.

Guest guest

Funny thing is I had some students trying to hit on me! Another was trying to wink at me during the exam, while 2 evaluations said I was a "hot TA". It was quite something.

Isn't that a little unprofessional? I don't know that I would feel comfortable with that at all. It sort of undermines your authority and shows a complete lack of respect in my opinion.

Guest Guest

Just to give my two cents: I will be entering a French PhD program and I have taught before (high school and language schools) and I am certified to teach French. Also, at the big university where I am going, I will be teaching language classes. Not just doing admin stuff. I will be the professor 100%. So I guess the experience varies from school to school. When I was an undergraduate, I went to a small school where all classes were taught by professors or adjuncts, in some rare cases.

Good luck to all in the fall.

Guest guest

[isn't that a little unprofessional? I don't know that I would feel comfortable with that at all. It sort of undermines your authority and shows a complete lack of respect in my opinion.

Isn't that a little unprofessional? I don't know that I would feel comfortable with that at all. It sort of undermines your authority and shows a complete lack of respect in my opinion.

How is it unprofessional on her part? She (he) said they dressed more adult and professional to fit the idea of a teacher. If they would have wore low cut shirts and high cut skirts, that would be unprofessional. You can't control people saying if you are attractive or not.

I mean honestly, what is she supposed to do? "Oh no, someone thinks I am attractive! No one sees me as an authority figure! I quit." So, are you saying that the only people who can have authority are unattractive people? I disagree. In fact, someone with authority can be attractive (ie firemen, policemen, boxers, women CEOs).

If you find students flirting with you uncomfortable, then NEVER be a TA. My brother is a TA who gets hit on by female students all the time. He's over weight, so it's not like he looks like a greek god, but younger people think they can use their ultra suave and popular persona to win you over (think back to highschool). It's not my brother's fault they are doing this, and I think he has all the right in the world to get a kick out of it. I would too. In fact, if anyone made a joke that I was the "hot TA," I'd think it was funny enough to bring up in TA discussion convo. I'd even feel flattered (oh the nerve!).

And to further my point, I've found some of my professors extremley attractive, but that never made me have less respect for them. If anything, it made me respect them more and enjoy their classes. I'm no Dr. Phil, but I'd say you have some extreme confidence problems to say you'd feel uncomfortable with a 19 year old saying you were hot. It's not the TA being unprofessional; it's the boy being immature. Lighten up.

Guest guest

, if anyone made a joke that I was the "hot TA," I'd think it was funny enough to bring up in TA discussion convo. I'd even feel flattered (oh the nerve!)

I think that's pretty sad and sort of smacks of a desperate want for attention.

Guest Debating

Uh... chill?!?! So what if people hit on you, no big deal. It does not undermine your authority and by now you should be used to it anyway. If not, I hope you're going into computer science or something else like that full of antisocial people, then you might get away with it. Unless you're a girl, then that doesn't work because CS people are too deprived of females and it shows.

:lol:

Seriously, though, I have had students (middle school boys) try to hit on me and that did make me feel very uncomfortable until I realized that I wasn't encouraging such behavior in any way and it was just them, so I saw how funny it was and I got a kick out of it.

Shellybe, I think you have a point :).

, if anyone made a joke that I was the "hot TA," I'd think it was funny enough to bring up in TA discussion convo. I'd even feel flattered (oh the nerve!)

No, it doesn't actually. I never said I wanted to be the hot TA (I am not even going to be a TA anyways). I just said that if someone accused me of being hot, I would think it was funny. So, now I guess we're saying that anyone who is told they are attractive is automatically seeking attention? Right. Well let me go grab my potato sack and rope and throw away my shampoo. I don't ever want to be considered attractive at the risk of being accused of wanting attention.

That's the most absurd point of view. If you're referring to what I mean by TA discussion convo, I am referring to this thread. It's about teaching/being a TA, and someone brought it up. In other words, I am saying that I can understand why she brought it up in this thread, and I don't think there is any reason to get uppity about it with her. Do you have some sort of axe to grind? It seems like it.

Guest Debating

:lol: I'm totally loving this thread!

That's the most absurd point of view. If you're referring to what I mean by TA discussion convo, I am referring to this thread. It's about teaching/being a TA, and someone brought it up. In other words, I am saying that I can understand why she brought it up in this thread, and I don't think there is any reason to get uppity about it with her. Do you have some sort of axe to grind? It seems like it.

meridionale, s/he obviously has an axe to grind (or just needs the attention), I hope you're not getting upset over some idiot's comments though. I think it's quite amusing :)

I will personally file sexual harassment charges on any student that even says that I am not horrendously ugly. That'll learn 'em to respect me.

I really feel you can do little to control the comments people make and should be comfortable with yourself to realize that people will have opinions of you beyond your control. Plus, 18 year olds in intro level classes can be pretty immature sometimes and you need to be the mature one and ignore it. That doesn't mean you can't laugh about it with friends/fellow TAs. As long as you don't wink back, encourage comments, or purposely tantilize the oversexed freshman, I think you are being professional.

If people continue to be disrespectful to other members of the forum, their comments will be deleted. You have the right to express your opinion, but not to direct rude comments toward a specific person. This will be especially true of posts that are not signed. If you want to insult someone, at least give them a way to respond.

I will personally file sexual harassment charges on any student that even says that I am not horrendously ugly. That'll learn 'em to respect me.

I really feel you can do little to control the comments people make and should be comfortable with yourself to realize that people will have opinions of you beyond your control. Plus, 18 year olds in intro level classes can be pretty immature sometimes and you need to be the mature one and ignore it. That doesn't mean you can't laugh about it with friends/fellow TAs. As long as you don't wink back, encourage comments, or purposely tantilize the oversexed freshman, I think you are being professional.

Exactly. It seems we get so caught up in things sometimes, that when life gives you something to laugh about, you should do it. I personally deal with enough stress, so if I ever got back a review form with someone saying I was a "Hot TA," it would give me a good laugh. If that makes me a horrible person, then so be it.

Guest guest

It's too bad that people on this forum don't respect my personal opinion if it is unpopular with the moderator. But I stand by what I said. Personally, I would not encourage that kind of fliratious attention in the classroom. I think it's disrespectful to the TA and undermines his/her authority in the classroom. I don't find it funny or flattering. Sorry to be such a square, but I thought the classroom was a forum for serious debate and discussion, not winking and sexual innuendo.

Have you seen the Indiana Jones movie, the one with the Covenant Arch, where one of his female students is hitting on him in the classroom. Well, as far as I could tell, he was being professional, no encouraging flirting or sexual inuendos from him, yet it happened that a girl was winking at him.

All right, the above is an example, but my point is that there is no need to accuse the TA/teacher for being unprofessional because some students are, well, immature. There is not much one can do in those cases, but keep quiet and hope the student will give up eventually. Taking them to the harrasment office would be quite a hassle, and likely difficult to prove.

So how would you deal with a situation like this if it arose? It is easy to scold the others saying they encouraged/invited it, but what if it happened to you? If you do not have a good solution to it, then perhaps you not insult the ones that have gone through it.

Guest guest

I never accused the poster of being unprofessional, but I do believe the situation is. If it happened to me, I would talk to the student and explain that he or she was being immature and that kind of behavior was unacceptable in my classroom. Oh, and by the way, I have taught before, so I think I know what I am talking about.

Guest woops!
If it happened to me, I would talk to the student and explain that he or she was being immature and that kind of behavior was unacceptable in my classroom. Oh, and by the way, I have taught before, so I think I know what I am talking about.

Really? Then I guess you'd know that you don't get the student reviews back until the end of the semester once grades are handed out. Not only that, but the surveys are anonymous, so how would you ever find the student anyways? Plus, I am sure there are tons of other people who have taught as well.

was the comment I was referring to. As for professionalism, students are not professionals. They probably did not mean it to be disrespectful but as a misguided compliment. To draw attention to comments written in an evaluation first of all would be unethical since they are unanimous. If comments are made to a fellow student, they are not means to evaluate or condemn a student since they are personal opinions. If they are made directly to the professor, yes they should be addressed. It does not undermine authority if you do not let it. Also, I find that despite the "desperate need for attention comment" I think that the comment and not the person should be attacked as an idiot. Besides, it was really meant to be an idle threat to get people to pay attention to their words and would only be used in EXTREME cases in case of escalation.